The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Lightbulb Holy Gadgets Batman! Is it REALLY this simple?

HAS to be coincidence, right? I mean, there is no "miracle" pad.

Or is there?

My ThinLine pads arrived today. I was actually pretty dissapointed. A) they were black (I was expecting white) and B) there wasn't much TO them. I had ordered the saddle fitting pads and the insert pads to play with to help lift the back of the Ancient Passier ever-so-slightly. I figured I could always use the shims here and there, and if I liked them, THEN I'd shell out the outrageous amount for the $heep$kin version. (which conviniently has pockets for the rear shims)

I played with them a bit, used artists tape to hold them together and lightly tack them to the Bartl halfpad. Duboiously got on. They're so... *nothing* to them...

Walk was... 'eh. He was pokey and a bit stiff. Not unusual. Beginning trot was no big revelation. Pokey and a bit stiff. Imagine.

Then we cantered.

I have this issue in the Ancient Passier that I slide around, and end up, at times, 'slapping' around at the canter. I think most folks understand what I'm saying. HE's happy in the saddle, but it's big for me, and with the drought, the ground is cement, gaits aren't so springy, my back and hips have been really the pits... it's not been entirely pretty lately. A cashel lift pad helped some, but not *enough* (so it's not *just* the lift aspect of it, is what I'm getting at)

I sat, quietly, softly following seat... almost NO jarring at all. Canter was soft, uphill and just yummy.

Must be a fluke. I mean, we had a GREAT school on Sunday. (though I could not, admittedly, sit the trot.) Yest'dy off. Fluke.

But then, since his back was now supple and he was more warmed up, we moved back to trot work. And I could SIT it. Without a heck of a lot of effort. The sitting trot we'd found before, that is just the kind you can sit all day and play with, but that we'd lost along the way this year.

Now, we HAD a great ride on Sunday. After some not-so-much-great rides last week. But it was good. Big, stretchy, reachy trot. Some better contact & submission.

So I'm arguing with myself here. It's just COINCIDENCE, isn't it? I mean, it's a breakthrough I've been working towards all summer, since we first got The Abundance of Forward Trot.

It really can't be just these stupid tiny little black pads, can it?

I ended up riding an hour, without even realising it. Playing a LOT. Seeing if the sitting trot was a fluke. If the canter was a fluke. Building the lovely slower (dare I say slightly collected? ) trot to a medium--STILL SITTING IT--and bringing it back.

I can't say his gaits were any better, if anything, they were softer, but not bigger. Contact was happier. Suppleness and submission were there. Lately I've been exhausted and spent around 40 minutes and really have to be creative and dedicated to get closer to 50 or an hour for condition's sake. Today I looked at the watch and it was 50 and I was really surprised.

So tell me it's just coincidence. That it happened to just all come together today.

Really, tell me that, because I'm about to go to work and sign up for 20 or so hours of OT so I can afford the $heep$kin version. Even if it does have the rolled back and I hate that.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Told ya

PS I wouldn't consider it a 'gadget'.
    PPS- you can order them in white too
    Last edited by OnyxThePony; Oct. 2, 2007 at 04:38 PM. Reason: ppsing

Default Coincidence? I think not!

I had a very similar experience when I got mine. I only have the halfpad in the ultra thin. No shims or pockets. Just a floppy piece of white "rubber".

Made a visible difference in the way I ride. I'm now convinced that it's magic.

P.S. Don't regret having the black one -- I have a white one that is now just dull and dingy (sp?). But it sits under my saddle, so no worries.
    Proud Rubenesquestrian

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post
    It really can't be just these stupid tiny little black pads, can it?
    It can. Try to put a tiny pebble in your boots and go run - see the difference - now tell me if the tiny pebble makes a difference?

PS: when using the pads, make sure that you clean extra good horse's back under them to avoid getting the "heat bumps" on horse's back that makes horse's back sore from using a pad

Yes it can- when i first saw them at the trade show i passed them a million time going "ooh god yet another pad" i finally got wrangled into stopping (i think there was candy involved" and my jaw DROPPED at seeing the golf ball.
    I ordered some- and they gave me a demo pad. At the time i rode just on my cotton pad with nothing else- custom fit saddle- princess and the pea type horse... put it on and VOILA he went FANTASTIC.... ok i'm thining COULD just be that it's a shock absorbing pad right??
    Put gel pad on next day- nope felt the same as with no pad. (of course checking saddle fit)
    Put thin line back on WENT fantastic. . . i did this for 10 days back a nd forth between all the pads i could get my hands on- I sat quieter, i FELT better- my BACK didn't hurt as much. . . ANd my saddle stayed more centered at the mount (which if you have heard my stories you know what that ment for this horse!)

My trainer (and good friend) won't use em on the young horses because "once they learn how good it can be they get REALLY cranky if they don't get it one day!"

Now do i think these are the 'bees knees" yes- and i think there are other pads that are Very good as well (sheepskin for one). BUt what i love the most of these is how little it affects the saddle fit (vs say the Cavallo pads- which Do affect fit- but are fantastic pads as well!)

PS i have a black one- prefer it over the white- it blends in with the SADDLE. if i had a brown saddle i'd go for a white one to go with teh numnah/pad (ie jump saddle) but for Dq's in a black saddle i always recommend the black ones
    Qualified Saddle Fitter with the S.M.S.
    www.ravenwoodaussies.com

Default WELL

You have now all convinced me that I need to buy one (or more) of these wondrous, magical, life improving pads that do your laundry and even make you breakfast in the morning.

So who has the best prices online?
    Join a new horse sim where you can train, show and breed dressage horses, jumpers and eventers! Fun and free with mature players.
    Join Horse Eden Eventing Today !

I tried one and saw no difference. In eight horses.

Now, a Mattes pad? Oh yes.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

www.aretesaddlery.com

is the best I've found, though sometimes you can do better on Ebay.

And Nevar, that's the only thing... my saddle for this guy is brown (the Ancient Passier) so it does contrast and 'show'. But not much. Right now I'm using the inserts over the Bartl 1/2 pad with carpet tape to hold it all together.

I wonder if I can convince them to make me a sheepskin 1/2 pad without the back roll? (I like sheepskin against the horse, then a square pad to keep the saddle clean... but with the rolled edges you have to do it the other way or things get really hinky.)

I can't wait to ride tomorrow to see if it was a fluke or what.

Snuck over here from hunterland.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my thinline pad. It makes the biggest difference in Soldier. I have just tried just about every pad under the sun to make his back "happier" (for lack of a better word). Beval's, gel pads, foam things ect... his highness does not like any of it. He got his fancy saddle, which is even fitted to him.
    Nothing was "wrong" and he would still come out nicely in the hack, and jumped nice, but the thinline just bumped everything up. We discovered his inner hunter. Rounds over the fences, and wins the hack. So much for my eq. horse.

Blessing or curse?- well I lost my eq. horse when he discovered how he could jump with it, but he's alot happier with it. Won't ride without it.

I really like mine too. Found that back to sit the trot on...

Eqtrainer, I wonder if it's because you are a BETTER RIDER than us? (No offence to anyone else who has replied, but you know what I mean )

I was skeptical so I ordered mine from the Thinline website b/c you get a month trial and if you dont like it, return it for a full refund.

My mare just loves hers. Shes so much more willing to give her back and relax and the gaits are just so bouncy and its just really lovely.

No more bracing with her neck, jaw, and just is a happy go lucky girl.

Def is the pad.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

I got one of the sheepskin ones for under $200 on ebay, with free shipping. I love it.
    Amateur rider, professional braider.
    ----
    Save a life, adopt a pet.

Thumbs up It's not your imagination or coincidence

I've had one for over 15 years and it's just now beginning to show signs of wear. Still passes the golf ball test. Won't ride without it. I can tell a difference in my back if I don't use it. My back becomes sore and achy.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! In fact, other than my saddle, it's probably the longest lasting piece of equipment I've got. Bought a nice new, shaped one in black for show.

I've often wondered why someone hasn't incorporated this into the seat of some saddles.
    "It's not a mistake if you knew what you were doing was wrong."

Do you know how thin Line compares to Supra core?

http://www.supracor.com/equestrian/d..._cool_grip.htm

I've got a Supracore and never had any reaction either way about it.

He's about the same with Supracore as sheepskin--likes them, but not as dramatic as this.

I use one on two horses but frankly haven't noticed anything magical about it. I like it because it is not bulky but didn't see any difference for my horses or me compared to using the regular gel pad.

I love it on most horses, but once in a while it interferes with the half-halt. I have two half-siblings in the barn, and with the thin-line pad on I have to HALF HALT, without it I can do my usual soft half halt. The Arabs love it, I won't ride them without it.

I noticed the same reaction when I got my treeless saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    I really like mine too. Found that back to sit the trot on...

Eqtrainer, I wonder if it's because you are a BETTER RIDER than us? (No offence to anyone else who has replied, but you know what I mean )
    No offence to anyone either, but I did wonder if it was because I don't bounce in the saddle. Unfortunately I also no longer bounce *when I hit the ground*
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Unfortunately I also no longer bounce *when I hit the ground*

Don't worry Sistah ... I'm with ya there!

However, I'm wondering if this would help my little reining mare. We've had a problem with saddles on her for a while now. Poor thing has to go out in an old dressage saddle I had for another horse. K... can you all just see it.. a reining horse with a dressage saddle? Brings new meaning to "Cowboy Dressage".