The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Question Newspaper article on slaughter in Mexico - destined to change US attitudes?

So, fwiw, I'm not one to partake of the slaughter threads generally. My quiet opinion stays to myself. I'm afraid of mean posters. ;-)

Also fwiw, I think transport to Mexico for slaughter is the worst-of-the-worst solution for unwanted horses. I've formed my own generally-educated slaughter opinions, impacted by discussions on this board.

But this morning, there is a new angle for the public-at-large to consider, and I'd be surprised if it isn't reprinted in other papers b/c of its sensational nature, and surprised if it doesn't generate a huge public outcry to open the US slaughter houses with full support, at least in TX. Well, with perhaps majority support, as "full" won't ever come. Horse slaughter will never be NOT divisive.

I opened my San Antonio Express News (our main paper) this morning to an actual picture of two horses in a squeeze chute with a worker in Juarez about to stab a knife into the back of a horse. Um, good morning San Antonio. Holy. Cow. :-(

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/mex...r.3496288.html

The picture in the online article lacks the man-with-raised-knife, at least currently.

With apologies in advance for a potential trainwreck, it seems like if ever horsepeople will be asked questions about slaughter and have folks ready to hear the "best" options we've considered on the slaughter issue, it might be now.

The last notice I read a little while ago was that a judge had closed the last plant, again, so right now, there is no horse slaughter for human consumption in the USA, at all:

---"The last active horse processing plant in the U.S. has apperantly been shut down by a federal appeals cour ruling.
    The Chicago Tribune reports the appellate panel expressed some reluctance about its decision to uphold an Illinois state law that prohibits harvesting horses for human consumption.

According to the opinion written by Judge Richard Posner:
    "States have a legitimate interest in prolonging the lives of animals that their population happens to like."---

This is not about horses being slaughtered in the US, it is about the fact that now the go to Mexico and get murdered. Watch the video if you dare, it is horrific. You thought the captive bolt was horrible, how about stabbing a horse to death........go look. IT is was is happening now to all the horses that were "saved".

For those interested: USDA Horse export to Mexico for WE: 9/22/07

Horses
    Slaughter 1,111 1,393 29,741 6,331
    Breeding Males 33 84 468 360
    Breeding Females 46 79 681 507
    Geldings 88 35 2,482 1,385
    Burro/Mule/Pony 0 0 1 4
    Total Horses 1,278 1,591 33,373 8,587

29,741 horses YTD compared to 6,331 same period last year.
    http://www.blackberryhill.webs.com/

Sometimes you have to put your foot down to get a leg up!

I can never understand why these deals get people up in arms. Theres not one thing done at a Mex. slaughter plant that isn't done in a U.S. plant.

Beleive it or not livestock is killed with a knife here also if you don't beleive it come to the plant in town here every Friday morning.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Default there was some misinformation there

I hold my own views on slaughter, but that article indicated that the kill buyers buy the old/crippled/blind ect.....it didn't say that the kil buyers also like to buy the young healthy ones who are going for really cheap prices. When it comes to the kill buyers they will pick up the good ones to fill their quota. You don't get any meat off a starving horse.

BTW the majority of horses killed in Mex. are also killed with the captive bolt, some with a gun, and some with a knife. Thats exactly the same as in the U.S. for all livestock.

Let me start this off by saying that I am by no means pro slaughter.

I have been saying for awhile that until they make it illegal to transport horses out of country for slaughter, closing the slaughter houses int he US is really doing no good. Horses will still be slaughtered in Mexico and Canada. The was forseeable.

From January 1, 2006 to Sept. 30, 2007, 5908 horses were sent to Mexico for slaughter, compared to the 28,630 that have been sent so far this year.

People can not expect to just close the slaughter houses down in the US without setting up protection for the horses. As long as people continue to over breed horses, and there is nowhere for them to go when they are considered no longer useful or wanted, there is going to be problems and slaughter.

If over breeding causes slaughter then we've over bred since horses came here. Thats how long we've slaughtered them. Same as cattle, the reason for slaughter of any animal is two fold. Demand for the meat and money to be made from it. Take away either one and it stops. Keep them both and no matter how many head there are it will continue.

Yes, killed with a knife BUT THEY ARE PUT IN A CHUTE AND THEIR SPINAL COLUMN
    IS SEVERED! Then they are hoisted by chains and THEIR THROATS ARE CUT!

All of you who are against horse slaughter and lobbied to have the Federal Inspected
    plants closed should be cringing at what you have created! At least the captive bolt,
    used under the supervision of people who were in charge and had the power to
    close down a plant if they observed any cruelty, made certain the horse was unconscious
    before the final cut was made IS HUMANE!

CONTRAST THAT TO A HORSE THAT CANNOT MOVE, BUT KNOWS EVERYTHING THAT
    IS HAPPENING TO IT!

IF ONLY THE MONEY THE PETA FOLK TOOK IN STOPPING AND CLOSING THE slaughter
    plants had been used to update and find ways to use even more humane methods here
    in the U.S. -- you would have not instead condoned the MURDER PROCESS that is underway in Mexico!

I hope all of you that wrote letters and signed petitions are happy now!

LCR, livestock is killed the exact same way in the U.S. every Friday morning at the slaughter plant here in town for instance. Why is it worse that its done in Mex.?

NO, you are wrong--absolutely an incorrect statement! The State and Federal controlled
    slaughter plants in the U.S. have inspectors, that supervise anti-mortum and post-mortum
    processes at their plants. Their job description to to insure that the animals, ALL
    animals, including horses, pigs, sheep, cattle etc. are rendered unconscious by with
    the captive bolt process or by in some cases shooting. They are also in charge of humane handling, which includes feed and water and doing anything possible to insure the animals are comfortable.

NEVER would an animal have it's spinal column severed to render it unable to move!

Where did you get this idea, anyway? The only time it varies from the captive bolt
    method is in the case of KOSHER SLAUGHTER, which as far as I am concerned is almost
    as inhumane as the Mexican methods.

Can one even contemplate, someone reaching down to a horse in a chute and stabbing
    at it repeatedly, until the spinal column is severed! This is bone chilling to me and should
    be to you also!

Where do I get this idea? Because I work part time on the kill floor at the slaughter plant in town. And every Friday morning we do Kosher and Hamas slaughter and its not with a captive bolt. Also small private plants can use a gun not a captive bolt. Theres is not one thing done in Mex. thats not done right here in the U.S. I see it all the time. If you buy meat you support it.

Yes, you are correct, but horses are not slaughtered for KOSHER purposes and if you are actually working in a Kosher plant you know the difference and you are working with
    state or federal inspectors.

It would seem that you want people to believe that horses are slaughtered this way in the U.S. but that is not true and is false and misleading. There is much cruelty in hoisting an 1800 pound BEEF animal by one leg and performing the Kosher cut that is condoned by religious freedom and the opposite--the slaughter done routinely in the majority of the plants in the U.S. under the supervision of meat inspectors.

It is a very small percentage of the animals that are actually Kosher processed this way. Really has nothing to do with closing the horse plants in the U.S. where horses were humanely treated and the barbaric method that is happening right now in Mexico.

But all of the do- gooders got what they wanted and now I hope they think about what is
    happening because of them not really thinking what would happen after the plants were
    closed!

No. I'll be happy when the federal ban passes.

I in no way, shape, or form, ever said horses were killed Kosher. I said livestock, you may place the welfare of one species over another but I don't. Either its right or its wrong what side of a border its on makes no differance.

Quote Originally Posted by county View Post
    LCR, livestock is killed the exact same way in the U.S. every Friday morning at the slaughter plant here in town for instance. Why is it worse that its done in Mex.?
    No. What they do in Mexico is barbaric at best. They run a horse into a chute and stab at its neck from above until they severe the spinal cord, rendering the animal unable to move, but from what I have heard, still consious of everything going on around it. For a flight animal like the horse that must be torture in the extreme, probably even worse than any pain it is going through. It makes me sick to think of all the horses that are going down there to be slaughtered now.

While the captive bolt may not be ideal, especially for horses that tend to duck their heads from anything coming from above, it is better than Mexico's method. And as far as animals being killed with a knife in the US, it involves slitting the throat, not stabbing at the spinal cord. We raise sheep and occasionally sell them to Muslim people and they follow some rituals that involve slitting the throat of the animal without the benefit of stunning it. While I have not made up my mind how humane that is either, I would put it a step above severing the spinal cord by stabbing away at the neck.

Personally I wish that there wasn't another horse slaughtered ever again anywhere, but that isn't reality and to me humane transporting and killing should be what we are focusing on, not sending horses to Mexico to horrible deaths. Mexico has even less standards thant the US on anything to do with treating livestock humanly.

I watched the HSUS video of slaughter in Mexico, US and Canada. Seems to me the Canadian plant in that video was the most humane by having a person standing in front of the chute with a rifle shooting the horses. There was no ducking from something coming from over their heads. The horse just stood there while it was shot. Probably the most humane way.

Edited to add that I also think humane raising, transport, and slaughter of any livestock should be important. This country is lacking on humane treatment of farm animals too. But believe me it could be worse, and is in Mexico.

So " exactly " how do you think the animals killed with a knife here in the U.S. are done?

So " exactly " how do you think the animals killed with a knife here in the U.S. are done?
    The knife is used to slit their throats, either with or without the animal being stunned before hand. It is a slice across the jugular vein. It does not involve stabbing at the spinal cord. Again, I am not sure how humane it is without the benefit of the animal being stunned, but it is better than being stabbed. I have read a couple studies that slitting the throat of an animal is actually pretty humane. Nowhere do I know of anywhere in the US where animals are killed or stunned with knife by STABBING AROUND THE NECK UNTIL THE SPINAL CORD IS SEVERED. That is the difference.

Well you may not know of any places but I assure you there around the U.S. Theres one 17 miles from here come get a job there and on Fri. mornings find out for yourself. Does it go like clock work everytime? Hardly and thats on both sides of the border I assure you.

I take my excess goats to a Halal butcher. There are very strict rules for Halal slaughter. Here is some info I found interesting
    http://www.themodernreligion.com/mis..._slaughter.htm

[Experimental Details:
    1. Several electrodes were surgically implanted at various points of the skull of all animals, touching the surface of thebrain.
    2. The animals were allowed to recover for several weeks.
    3. Some animals were slaughtered by making a swift, deep incision with a sharp knife on the neck cutting the jugular veins and carotid Arteries of both sides; as also the trachea and esophagusHalal Method.
    4. Some animals were stunned using a captive bolt pistol humane slaughter by the western method.
    5. During the experiment, EEG and ECG were recorded on all animals to record the condition of the brain and heart during the course of slaughter and stunning.

Results and Discussion:

I - Halal Method
    1. The first three seconds from the time of Islamic slaughter as recorded on the EEG did not show any change from the graph before slaughter, thus indicating that the animal did not feel any pain during or immediately after the incision.
    2. For the following 3 seconds, the EEG recorded a condition of deep sleep - unconsciousness. This is due to a large quantity of blood gushing out from the body.
    3. After the above mentioned 6 seconds, the EEG recorded zero level, showing no feeling of pain at all.
    4. As the brain message (EEG) dropped to zero level, the heart was still pounding and the body convulsing vigorously (a reflex action of the spinal cord) driving maximum blood from the body: resulting in hygienic meat for the consumer.
    II - Western method by C.B.P. Stunning
    1. The animals were apparently unconscious soon after stunning.
    2. EEG showed severe pain immediately after stunning.
    3. The hearts of the animal stunned by C.B.P. stopped beating earlier as compared to those of the animals slaughtered according to the Halal method resulting in the retention of more blood inthe meat. This in turn is unhygienic for the consumer.
    (Many thanks to Muslim Students Organization - University of Miami)
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.