The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Hunt Ball Attire

Hi, a few weeks ago my friend received an invitation to a hunt ball but she has no idea what to wear. She has given me the assignment to find out for her. Do people normally get really dressed up for them or is it just sort of casual? It didn't say on the card and she's new to hunting so just thought I'd ask all of you foxhunter extrordinaires

Ours is black tie (I believe most are) so yes people get verrrry dressed up. The majority of the men wear a tux, some in dark suits, those that may wear scarlet tails.
    The women you see everything from very dressy cocktail to ball gowns.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

On thing to bear in mind....many gentleman members will be in scarlet and it is best not to wear a loud coloured gown that might clash with them as they preen in their tails; yellow, purple or pink hues immediately come to mind! You will see lots of long black gowns, that is always a safe colour to go with, but there will be jewel tones as well.

It's been a while since I went to a hunt ball, but the invitation should specify the attire. Typically it says 'black tie, scarlet if convenient.' If it were to say 'informal' if times have changed, that would mean business suit for gents, cocktail dresses for ladies.

I go in a tux. My wife goes in some version of a ball gown.

As Beverely said, usually the invite specifies attire.

Ours is always Black Tie, Scarlet if convienent.

Traditionally, women should never wear anything other than black or white gowns to a hunt ball.

Obviously, that has fallen by the wayside nowadays...
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

She should wear a long dress that shows off her figure - if that means a ball gown, fine, if that means a more contemporary gown, even tea length - that's fine too.

Think of what you'd wear to an evening formal wedding - without lots of lace and flowers in the hair. She shouldn't wear red - most women I saw wore black (always safe), or dark jewel tones. She could go with a richer fabrics if she wanted - so velvets would be good, taffeta, silks, etc. Or should could go with a very simple black dress, and liven it up with jewelery - but just one big piece - not lit up like a Christmas Tree.

The women who can pull it off (young, great body) will often go with cocktail dresses.

What about a Lady Master in a formal red gown is that proper or a henious crime punishable by death from the fashion police?

Daring to wear that, death should be the least of her worries.

Quote Originally Posted by SidesaddleRider View Post
    Traditionally, women should never wear anything other than black or white gowns to a hunt ball.

Obviously, that has fallen by the wayside nowadays...
    My hunt allows only black, white, or silver for women. Men can wear black tie, white tie, or scarlets.

Quote Originally Posted by eqsiu View Post
    My hunt allows only black, white, or silver for women. Men can wear black tie, white tie, or scarlets.
    Lovely to see that!

And no, Snow Princess, that (historically) wouldn't be proper, but it's certainly not a crime that deserves death.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Where I hunted last year strongly suggested black, navy, and other darker colors. Black tie or scarlet for men.

I believe the hunt ball for the new hunt recommends black or white for ladies. And white tie (not black) or scarlet for men.

Our hunt is another one that allows only black, white, silver, or gold for women. Personally I think I would stick to one of these colors regardless of what is allowed. There is usually at least one poor lady there each year with a dress of the wrong color.

Ours is white tie by the way.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Only black, white or silver I would think would be rather dull. Both hunts I've been with have had no such restrictions. It makes for a more colorfull evening.

Default simple

can't go wrong with the black sheath -- elegant but understated!!

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Princess View Post
    What about a Lady Master in a formal red gown is that proper or a henious crime punishable by death from the fashion police?
    I wear red. I am not a Master either. I asked the Masters of the 3 balls that I was worn my red dress to before hand and all have said fine and after seeing me in it have told me to wear it or any dress like it to any of there balls from now on. I look best in Red and wear it any time I can. I did get told my members of the hunt I am with right now that if I worn a red dress I would be asked to not come back the next year that is why I do not go to that ball. As I said I like red!!!
    AilleXWest
    www.gypsystoychest.com Adult Toys and Home partys

The most outrageously expensive full length ball gown her credit card will stand with an equally ridiculously costly pair of shoes and a silly handbag that is so tiny it can't possibly hold anything other than a lipstick and definitely NO money because of course THAT is why the men are there!

Ours are always formal evening wear so full length ball gowns and for the men either dinner suits or full dress kilts

This is me and mine at our last ball

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...s/DSCF0067.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...s/DSCF0031.jpg
    Last edited by Thomas_1; Sep. 28, 2007 at 11:29 AM.

I have 2 very very lovely (racy, too) red ball gowns. I've worn each to a hunt ball without punishment. In fact, the masters (men) nearly fainted when they saw me. Flattering, but I know all to well how much 'a little lipstick' moves up any horsey girl, from mussed to glam.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Smile

Kilts at a Hunt Ball....puredeadbrillyunt, Thomas!

Since our hunt only allows black or white, I'll be daring and drag out my sequinned zebra print bustier top...LOL!
    Barbara www.customstockties.com
    Tulsa-QH; Schnickelfritz-Holsteiner; Atikus-Danish Warmblood; Buddy-QH/TB; Winston-Shire; Thomas-Percheron/TB; Mac-Belgian Draft, gone but never forgotten