The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default John Henry - still struggling with dehydration

I believe a thread a month or so ago suggested he was much better, but that doesn't appear to be quite true. Obviously he is getting the best care possible but at his age and with hot summers each July and August is going to be a struggle.

Lexington Herald-Leader 9-14-07 "John Henry treated for dehydration

Excerpt

The 32-year-old gelding began treatment with fluids Wednesday morning and continued receiving intravenous treatments through yesterday afternoon.

"He is having trouble remaining hydrated," said Kathy Hopkins, equine director at the park.

The gelding has also lost a noticeable amount of weight since his birthday party in March.
    I know when I saw him during the Rolex 3D he just didn't look like he had in years past.

I'm not sure if the author of this article intended to gather such ominous quotes or if the situation is that dire. On the face of it, his condition does not sound well:

TB Times 9-14-07 "John Henry undergoing dehydration treatments"

excerpt

“Let’s just say we are fairly concerned,” Roby said. “We don’t really know from day to day what’s going to happen.

“But when you’re basically 110 in people years, you never know what can happen.”

After being on fluids for about 24 hours on Tuesday, John Henry has been confined to his stall during the day so he can undergo additional treatments. At night, John Henry is turned out in his paddock at the Kentucky Horse Park, where the temperamental gelding has lived since 1985.

“We just take it one day at a time because we never know what the day is going to hold,” Roby said. “We just do what he needs that day to make him happy, make him comfortable.

“He’s not in any pain. Our vet doesn’t think he’s in any pain or discomfort right now.”

“With the weight being off of him, it’s very hard to keep his condition the way it should be,” Roby said. “Basically, at 32, you’re just like an old person trying to keep weight on. Once they lose the weight, it’s really hard to get the weight back on.”
    “Somebody just called and said, ‘I’m going to make a trip from Cincinnati. Can you make sure he’s there?’” Roby said. “We’ll, no, we can’t guarantee he’s going to be here tomorrow. We just don’t know at this point.”
    From The Horse 9-14-07 "John Henry Receiving Supplemental Fluids"

[from Kathy Hopkins, Dir Equine Operations] "He's a Cushings horse, so sometimes just trying to keep him in balance with his electrolytes and all that, is, of course, more difficult with a Cushings horse, just like an elderly person. So we were doing exactly would you would do for an elderly person if they had a little bit of an electrolyte imbalance--you put them on fluids to straighten them out.

There's a "rumor" on another board that he passed away today. I figured I'd find out for sure on this board. So far, glad to see that it's not true. He's a fighter and certainly won't go anywhere without one heck of a battle. Get well soon Johnny.

Oh NO!!!!!! So glad I went to see him a few weeks ago. I hope he snaps out of this, but from what I saw, I'm very worried.
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse

I had read it on another board that John Henry passed away this am....Have not been able to confirm it but the source is reliable...
    R.I.P JOHN HENRY

I was able to see him 4 years in a row. Last year he did not look well but I was happy to hear that recently he had been out for a walk about the park.. Run free........
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

I wish him well, he's been around a long time and had a great life....

I just saw him in late July when I took my stallion to KHP to ride in the Parade of Breeds. I thought he was looking kind of down then. I sent a message to a friend who works at KHP to see if I can hear the news on him from someone there. If he is indeed gone, the horse world has lost quite a legend with his passing.

Somebody on another board said they saw him 3 hours ago (8 pm EST) receiving fluids so there is no need to jump to conclusions yet.

Oh that totally STINKS if he did indeed pass away! So sad... Esp too since I am going to be visiting the park this Sunday with my husband (who Ive been trying to get there FOREVER...he's horsey too)...it will be his first time ever there! And I really wanted him to be able to see John Henry.

My goodness the 'old man' isn't dead yet! He's been a fighter before, if its his time then it will come but lets not lament over him just yet.

My thoughts, in order, on seeing his recent pics in the great article in the Blood Horse:

1. My gosh, he's lost a lot of weight and doesn't look well.

2. But look at those ears, that eye, that utterly assured expression (you know and I know that I'm so much the best that there's no point in even debating it). That's John! He still looked like his spirit was home, even though he obviously was having physical issues.

Jingling with all I'm worth for the venerable John Henry! May he go whichever way is best for him, but may he do it with all his disdainfulness and grace. How I adore the old man!

*jingles* for the old guy...hope he pulls through.
    Mighty Thoroughbred Clique
    Racing Enthusiast Clique
    Careful, you might end up in my novel!

There is nothing on the Bloodhorse about him. I would think there would be.

Jingles for the ole' Man. He'd be spitting mad if he saw a bunch of ladies crying over him.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Default He has a restaurant

While doing a search to find out news, I discovered he has a restaurant!
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

jingles for one of the greatest .

I hope he gets to go with dignity and grace, when he chooses to go over The Bridge.
    one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by canyonoak View Post
    jingles for one of the greatest .

I hope he gets to go with dignity and grace, when he chooses to go over The Bridge.
    And you know it will be when John chooses, and not a moment sooner or later. I say it with love, but you all know he's a cantankerous old bastard.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by hackinaround View Post
    He'd be spitting mad if he saw a bunch of ladies crying over him.
    Words more true could not be spoken. I was moved to tears when I met him in May, but I was able to stifle them until I made it back to the snack stand, at which point I sobbed and sobbed. 'Much to the puzzlement of fellow snackers.

Hang in there John. Cooler weather is coming.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by grits View Post
    Jingling with all I'm worth for the venerable John Henry! May he go whichever way is best for him, but may he do it with all his disdainfulness and grace. How I adore the old man!

grits, You put it perfectly! Disdainfulness, grace and a huge heart to match his stride!