The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Smile TWH Celebration

The TWH Celebration was a big success this year, with no problems with the USDA. They even complimented the trainers and owners on the compliant horses that were brought to the inspection area. Sure ,there were tickets given to the violators, but all in all a great Celebration. My only complaint was the very HOT,HOT weather. But the horses handled it with no problem!

Quote Originally Posted by cordial View Post
    The TWH Celebration was a big success this year, with no problems with the USDA. They even complimented the trainers and owners on the compliant horses that were brought to the inspection area.
    Quoting just because this bears repeating.

I wish I could've been there myself.
    Randi
    "If you can't walk with the big horses, stay in the stall!"

Living in Nashville I've watched this industry for decades. One "good" Celebration doesn't make me very optimistic.

I heard that attendance was down, and vendor booths were way down too. I didn't think to ask if entries were down. Horses were ok (meaning not sore, but still big lick), judging was considered fair, and the DQP's were working hard. Sounds better to me. I hope it will stay that way. This was from a close friend of mine who grew up in a TWH family, and rides, but does not show.

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    Living in Nashville I've watched this industry for decades. One "good" Celebration doesn't make me very optimistic.
    Beats the hell out of zero "good" Celebrations, doesn't it?

I think it was someone else on this site who said, "Some folks would bitch if they were hanged with a new rope."
    Randi

Amen, Randi.

Maybe you and I can go next year? Let's make it TWO good years in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Amen, Randi.

Maybe you and I can go next year? Let's make it TWO good years in a row.
    Of course! Might you be interested in going to the show in Tallassee on October 13th or the one in Columbiana on November 3rd? I *hope* to have at least one of the Evil Black Mares ready for those shows. I'd love to hang out with you there, and I might be able to persuade you to ride your boy in Country Pleasure with me and Bubba.
    Last edited by twhrider13; Sep. 4, 2007 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Can't...spell...arrrggghhh!
    Randi

I was there for the last night and it was great! Attendance may have been down but it didn't look or sound like it to me. There were great horses both padded and nonpadded alike! I found one class to be highly amusing and you walking horse people probably know what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    Ever heard the saying about how change doesn't happen overnight? Sheesh.

Kudos to those who were there, participating LEGALLY and ETHICALLY

I hope this is a good sign, as I think what they do to those horses is absolutely disgusting--and not just the "illegal" stuff, either.

I am one of the people who called the head of the organization and voiced my disgust, to him personally. I also support the efforts, and contacted the USDA here in Maryland, to eradicate from the face of the earth the ridiculous instruments of torture (shoes, training devices, bits, etc) and the abominations they call "gaits", which in my opinion cripple and maim horses.

Hiding behind tradition. Puh-leeeze!

Quote Originally Posted by rebecca yount View Post
    I hope this is a good sign, as I think what they do to those horses is absolutely disgusting--and not just the "illegal" stuff, either.

I am one of the people who called the head of the organization and voiced my disgust, to him personally. I also support the efforts, and contacted the USDA here in Maryland, to eradicate from the face of the earth the ridiculous instruments of torture (shoes, training devices, bits, etc) and the abominations they call "gaits", which in my opinion cripple and maim horses.

Hiding behind tradition. Puh-leeeze!
    Yeah, and we're heavily involved in the Church of Satan, too. It must be true. I read it on the Internet.

Randi

I made a promise to myself that I would not get into a debate with people like Rebecca, who don't have the first clue what they are talking about. There was a padded horse that showed at the Celebration that was 24 years of age---not too bad for a horse that is suppose to be crippled. We have a 17 year old padded horse,who's very favorite thing in life is showing off his talent. BUT as I said before I will only respond to people on this thread that have the positive view of this wonderful breed.

I don't have a problem with the breed--I have a problem with what people do to them. There is lots of evidence of this practice--why say I don't know what I am talking about?

Read this, if you are not too scared or embarassed:

https://www.twhbea.com/voice/News/USDAToIndustry.htm

Or how about this official USDA publication:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/publicatio...tion_6-3-5.pdf

Or this handout from a Listening Session conducted by Dr. Todd Behre of the USDA--careful--this one has some very graphic photos:

http://www.pinerockfarm.com/hppls.pdf

Here's more:

http://valleyviewwalkers.com/page9.html

I suppose you will claim that the above sources "don't know what they are talking about" either? Come on--you know what is done to these horses is wrong.

It is disgusting, vile, cruel, and exploitive. How anyone can get pleasure from torturing animals is beyond my comprehension.

wow...y'all really stirred up a good one.

*goes and gets popcorn*

Christ. Why not be happy for one small victory, one Celebration that went well? It doesn't mean that *all* the problems are fixed, and the OP didn't claim they were.

On second thought, Rebecca, never mind my post. Go back to your regularly scheduled program of sucking lemons. What's it like to live life as one big letdown after another?

Ok, rebecca. You, with the Internet research, are right, and we, with the years of experience, are wrong. We are all terrible, horrible people who get our rocks off on doing terrible, horrible things to our poor, innocent horsies. Is that what you wanted to hear? If you don't mind, I think we'll move on with the thread now.

Anybody around here going to any of the fall shows? I swear, all year, I've been like, "Maybe I'll have something ready for the spring shows." Then it was, "Maybe I'll have something ready for the summer shows." Now, it's, "Maybe I'll have something ready for the fall shows." At this rate, I may be ready by, like, 2010. Ah, the life and times of a grad student.
    Randi

Glad to hear that the Celebration went, and went well from what it sounds like. So attendence and vendors were down--so what? Those that "protested" the industry changes and stayed at home shouldn't be missed. Whatever. Those fans and sponsors that were there are the future of the breed.

It is beginning to look like the industry is responding to the USDA crackdown on soring, etc. Hopefully there will be a continued USDA presence at all the shows so that it will not be a temporary reform. Sorry, but the industry's "self regulation" of soring was not working; the self-selected DP's that were in place at the shows to inspect and pass the horses were a joke.

Just to clarify, I do not like the large stacks that are put on the "big lick" horses, even those padded horses that comply with the USDA standards and are not sored. I don't like how those horses move or appreciate the exaggerated action, or spider walking, they display when put into stacks. It doesn't look natural, and I don't like the fact that the padded horses are unable to be turned out to pasture in their stacks. But I don't think that it should be banned just because I don't like it. Racehorses are stalled 24/7, and live under similar conditions. I don't really agree with eventing horses being run at top speed over huge, solid obstacles and off steep banks/drops, either.

I do hope that the new USDA inspectors are being just as vigilant with the flat-shod horses as they are with the padded ones. There is historically almost just as much soring, pressure-shoeing, etc, going on in those divisions as their big-lick counter-parts. I've not kept up with it enough to know whether the inspectors are covering these divisions as well. Anyone know?

TWH's are great, great horses. I've always ridden H/J and never had much experience with them until these past few years. Working in the veterinary industry, I'm constantly impressed with TWH's disposition, stoicism, and durability. Most TWH show horses are kept as stallions, and they are amazingly docile to work with on the ground. Even the aged breeding stallions are safe and mannerly to treat, even for those people that are not experienced horse handlers. I have a deep appreciation for the breed and look forward to having one in my own barn in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by twhrider13 View Post
    Yeah, and we're heavily involved in the Church of Satan, too. It must be true. I read it on the Internet.

Being a saddlebred person (yeah I know - we are just about as bad as you TWH people ) I admit I know NOTHING about TWH. I went to my first TWH horse show this summer and was amazed at the stringent inspections they all had to go thru and this was just a little show.

There was only 1 in the "big lick" class, but that horse looked like he was having a blast. He NEVER backed an ear!

Also, the people there were so nice and answered all my stupid questions
    patiently. I thought it was a very interesting experience and to all of you people who criticize - perhaps you should go to a show and see what it's all about instead of relying on information you get off a computer!

You know what, this arguement is old and tired and useless. There are those out there that will always hate us and not truly understand because all they do is believe what they read on the internet that is bad, and not believe any of the good or BETTER YET, get out and learn for themselves.

As far as the soundness issues go long term-yeah, right. That is why we have so many "classic" horses that show. We showed a horse at 24, 25 padded and did well. That is not the exception. My 17 yr old is flat shod right now, but is sound as a gold coin. My hubby won't let my girls even learn to jump because he feels that it is abusive to ask a horse to jump obstacles that may be solid or have landings too far down with a human on them. There are ways to go around those in nature, he said in response that on a trail, it is handy. Different strokes for different folks.

Regardless of all that, I have found a video of a nice nice mare strutting her stuff.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWM-V...elated&search=
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown