The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default OK so what CAN we feed horses

This is getting ridiculous.

We can't feed alfalfa-because of high protein, high calcium and pectin
    We can't feed beet pulp because of pesticides
    We can't feed rice bran for the same reason
    We can't feed soybean because it is high in Omega 6's
    We can't feed grain because of high starch/sugar content
    We can't feed brans because high in phosphorus
    Flaxseed interferes with something else.
    Oils are just not natural and messy
    Garlic can cause anemia
    Linseed surely does something evil as well
    BOSS is too high in Omega 3's

If you can't stand fillers like wheat middlings there is NO commercial feed you can feed.

We can't feed straight hay alone because of insufficient minerals, including insufficient lysine.

We can't feed chopped hay because most are bound with cane molasses or oil.

So does anyone have any horse not dying of some imbalance or insufficiency?

I am just wondering.

I've fed whole oats, alfalfa/grass hay, mineral/via blocks, and salt blocks for 40 years now. Haven't had any problems yet.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

It's amazing horses have survived this long, eh?
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

No, the reason you can't feed hay is because there isn't any.

I'm going to be brave and stick with beet pulp. Yes, the beets are exposed to some chemicals when growing, but--hello--think about the process that produces beet pulp. The sugar is *extracted* from the beets. You think the sugar is the only thing that gets extracted?

And I'll continue to feed prepared feeds, wheat mids and all. I have to feed them *something*, after all. Just as I still feed my dogs a reputable brand of dry food. And feed myself food from the grocery store. There's a risk, of course, but a person could easily go insane worrying too much about these things.

Balance. Most of the issues you cite can be dealt with by balance. Make some effort to see that the Omegas, CA, P and so on are balanced. Don't worry about the protein as long as their kidneys are in decent shape.

Pesticides? Yeah, well--exposure to pesticides in the price we pay for not wanting to be exposed to pests. Even that has to be balanced.

That, and keeping my fingers crossed.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    We can't feed chopped hay because most are bound with cane molasses or oil.
    Um, I think Seminole/Spiller's Happy Hoof is the only chopped forage feed that (now) isn't bound with anything. But, it's got the wheat middlings and I'm sure other "stuff" that'll make someone breakout or go loonie.

I hear ya, tho, LMH. Tis frustrating to wade through the myriad of feeds, forages and supplements to find what works and won't kill your horse.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

BOSS is too high in Omega 3's
    Too high in Omega 6's

Most chopped forages do have some type of molasses or something to keep the dust down.

I think this kind of goes hand-in-hand with the epidemic of over-supplementing.

People worry too much. It's like how when my mom was pregnant, she enjoyed a cocktail now and again, ate whatever she wanted, and my brother and I turned out fine (at least I think so...). But then last year when a friend of mine was pregnant, she drove me INSANE with "I can't eat Chinese food because of the MSG" "I can't eat this because of such-and-such" 'I cant do that, because it might hurt the baaaaaaaaaaaaaaby."

20 years - heck, even 10 years ago - people wouldn't get this uptight about feeding things to their horses. Horses ate grain and hay. End of story. Horses weren't getting this and that, plus a supplement because their level of such and such is low from feeding whatnot...

It gives me a headache.

And I love how non-specific I was, what with all the such and suches and whatnots and this and thats. Haha
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Pectin is not a bad thing

Default My feed program for success

My horses eat sweet feed - the cheapest we can find too - GASP!
    Some of them eat oats - HORRORS!
    They eat alfalfa - CRINGE!
    They drink out of troughs that might have some algae growing in it - HOW DARE YOU!
    3 of them drink prefer to drink out of an algae ridden pond - YOU KILLER!
    They eat coastal round bales that I store uncovered on bare ground - YOU SUBMORON!

And they are the most happy, healthy and pleasant horses in the county
    To get in the winners' circle you must first get into the gate

lol. Horse feeding is definitely a Keep It Simple Stupid, or if it ain't broke don't fix it, kind of deal.
    Just like in humans, everything in moderationand balanced. Alfalfa?? I personally don't like it, but hell, if it's the only thing your horse will eat, or an alfalfa mix hay is the only thing you can find in this hay crisis, who gives a sh*t.
    I personally don't worry about the beet pulp- I will now rinse it IF our horses ever go back on it (I'm in the beet pulp thread with my story about sick horses). I like to blame the beet pulp for our problems, but it could have been a virus, who knows.
    I just try to find the best thing that works for our guys- if they are healthy, good weight, shiny coat, good feet, no ulcery attitude, good energy, I'm happy. If some new fangled suppelemnt comes out on the market, I'm usually not one of those people that stampedes for it. LIke the BOSS stuff- it seems like a fad that does wonders for some horses, not so much for others.
    Find what your horse does well on, stick with it. However, some people have no idea how healthy their horses really are.

LMH - I can't believe you didn't include carrots.

Too high in starch. May turn your horse orange and it will clash with your custom made leopard skin saddle pad and polo wraps.

Don't forget apples.

Aluminum shoes leach into your horse - turning the iron in his blood to lead in his ass.

It's true - I read it on the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by J Swan View Post
    It's true - I read it on the Internet.
    I may have to steal that as my sig line
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Quote Originally Posted by county View Post
    I've fed whole oats, alfalfa/grass hay, mineral/via blocks, and salt blocks for 40 years now. Haven't had any problems yet.
    Yup. Same here. I feed more grass than alfalfa. But I will accept bales with as much as 30% alfalfa. Just my preference. No problems yet, although I have not been at it as long as you!

Beleive it or not in my lifetime I've given exactly 0 horses supplements. And they do just fine.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Mine was broke. I had to fix it.

A grass diet balancer, flax, and BOSS did the trick.
    and I use Beet Pulp. It's good stuff. keeps him drinking on long trips and adds moisture to his system.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I think people over react too dramatically regarding feed. Feed what's best for your budget, and your horses, and get off the internet. I guarantee if you spend a day on the net, you can find a hundred reasons not to do this, that, and the other thing. You'll find reasons not to vaccinate, not to ride, not to feed, not to stall, not to turn out, not to show, not to trail ride, blah blah blah.....

A2 is right!

Keep things simple. Are they in good flesh, shiny, and are their feet in good shape? If so, then everything is probably all right.

monstrpony,
    The worst part of beet pulp is the chemicals they use for the extraction process and then the slimicide they use on it afterwards, not just the pesticides they use during growing. The "pests" they kill using pesticides are of no harm to us, so yes, those pesticides are much worse and the only way to stike a balance and keep the "pests" from doing there job is to quit using the chemcials and get the soils healthy again. Balance in nature is the bugs eat whats unhealthy, the way to a healthy balance is not through chemicls.

Oops...I was typing too fast on the BOSS Omega's! Yes too high in 6's

Sure pectin is good...unless you horse can't handle pectin. Right? Otherwise what is it in alfalfa that brings out the founder patrol?

I am going to feed wheat middlings. 2 cups of wheat middlings.

Nothing else.

My TB is a hay "ho" - she acts like it's candy and lives off it and grass and a handful of grain mixed with flax-based joint supps. What scares me is the shortage of hay - when hay is more expensive than grain, I'm not happy.