The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default Do "american warmbloods" make you cringe?

They sure make me cringe!!! Dont get me wrong...some very nice horses come out of tb/draft crosses. But cant people just own up to their horses draft crosses?
    Its almost..idk but sort of insulting when they call their tb/belgian cross a warmblood. that took 9 months to make a true warmbloods are the products hundreds od years of selective breeding.
    Grrr sorry...I had to rant a little..

ummm ok???
    Last edited by Leo86; Aug. 28, 2007 at 04:52 AM.
    ....Leo\'s Mom.....

Quote Originally Posted by LiveToFly View Post
    . . . . tb/belgian cross a warmblood. that took 9 months to make a true warmbloods are the products hundreds od years of selective breeding. . . .
    In one post you let us all know how little you know about horses (gestation of 9 months?) AND that you are basically illiterate and unable to write a sentence that makes sense, in addition to being too lazy to spell out simple phrases such as "I don't know".

You further let us in on your level of knowledge regarding "American Warmbloods" since most are NOT draft crosses.

Interesting how much I can learn about someone from one 68 word post. Congratulations on your display of perceptive intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveToFly View Post
    They sure make me cringe!!! Dont get me wrong...some very nice horses come out of tb/draft crosses. But cant people just own up to their horses draft crosses?
    Its almost..idk but sort of insulting when they call their tb/belgian cross a warmblood. that took 9 months to make a true warmbloods are the products hundreds od years of selective breeding.
    Grrr sorry...I had to rant a little..
    I am insulted by your ignorance. Please take a little bit of time and educate yourself about the AWR and the AWS.

American Warmblood Registry

American Warmblood Society

This couldn't hurt either:

Equine Reproduction

And please understand when someone is running around calling their "TB/belgian" an "American Warmblood," they are as uneducated as yourself.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Evalee, you've made a valid point, but~

I think the gist of the OPs post is that unscrupulous breeders are trying to pass off homebred draft Xs as "American Warmbloods" to naiive buyers in the hopes of making a ton.
    For example, was at a county fair last weekend with a friend who breeds Percherons. Who drive. Very VERY well, I might add.

One mother/ daughter team came up and kept asking "What's the best horse to breed your Percheron stud to if we want to ride dressage?" Seemed she couldn't afford to buy what she called a 'warmblood' so she figured she'd just breed one. She kept saying she's got a TB mare at home and she would be a perfect match. It was all we could do to answer her questions politely and not laugh in her face.

"American Warmbloods" and "draft crosses" are NOT synonymous.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    No kidding.

I must say that as an owner of an "American Warmblood" I am offended by your post. My horse is a Han/TB and is an amazing mover and jumper. She has tons of potential for the "A" circuit and has already done very well on the line as a two year old and a three year old. So to answer your question, No, American Warmbloods don't make me cringe. I actually stand in amazment everytime I watch my horse go around.
    Happy Hour-TB
    Cowboy Casanova - Brandenburg
    Isadora - Palomino TB

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post

Unfortunately, I am surrounded by counties and counties of people that think their draft crosses are warmbloods. The end result is extremely poor conformation with equally poor movement
    Corner Stone Farm
    Weeki Wachee,FL .Follow us on FB!

Quote Originally Posted by gray17htb View Post
    Unfortunately, I am surrounded by counties and counties of people that think their draft crosses are warmbloods. The end result is extremely poor conformation with equally poor movement
    We must live near each other! I knew someone that had a draft/paint/arab cross (yes, I know, weird combo!) and when asked what breed the horse was, they would always say American Warmblood. Drove me crazy!

Arab/TB=hot blood
    Draft=cold blood
    Any combination of hot and cold blood=warmblood
    Sorry but that is the genesis of the term. Like it or not. What is the big deal? Cant have a bad breed on a good horse.
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumphigh83 View Post
    Arab/TB=hot blood
    Draft=cold blood
    Sorry but that is the genesis of the term. Like it or not. What is the big deal? Cant have a bad breed on a good horse.
    Not that simple, because there are plenty of horse that are neither Arab/TB, nor draft, nor crosses between them.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Buglet View Post
    I must say that as an owner of an "American Warmblood" I am offended by your post. My horse is a Han/TB and is an amazing mover and jumper. She has tons of potential for the "A" circuit and has already done very well on the line as a two year old and a three year old. So to answer your question, No, American Warmbloods don't make me cringe. I actually stand in amazment everytime I watch my horse go around.
    Ditto! I too have an AWS horse and am offended by your ignorance. My horse is a TB/Dutch Oldenburg cross and is beautiful. He is happily (and quite successfully) doing the 6 yr old YJC classes at level 6 with potential to do much more.

Default Yep...

Like it or not, Cold Blood + Hot Blood = Warm Blood. (Also keep in mind that WB does not translate to SUPERSTAR!)

Now, you got a point if people are saying there 1st generation american WB has the history or performance record as a 100 plus generation European WB.

But keep in mind for those nay-sayers, that most of the pre-WWII European WB breeds would be unrecognizable to modern riders. When you breed for performance and not genology (i.e. open stud book) good horses can show up fast.
    If you can see it, your doing it wrong...

I have a draftX. I have never called him an "American Warmblood". Personally, I think there is just as much purebred garbage out there as there is grade garbage. A good horse is a good horse. Not that I support random breeding. I don't think putting two horses togehter to see what happens is a sound breeding plan. What makes me cringe more that the word "warmblood" is when people are ignorant about what makes a good horse.

Well would rather have that over what is happening right here in podunk.. The 'gypsy vanner' thing has hit podunk.. The "QH WP" type ppl are jumping on the bandwagon breeding anything with color to anything with feathers... To get a Gv...
    I'd rather have someone come up to me and call their draft x an american Wb over a badly bred paint crossed with a drafty with feathers a GV...I've heard there are no less than 7 GV's invetro at this moment...
    Friend of bar .ka

Quote Originally Posted by Jumphigh83 View Post
    Arab/TB=hot blood
    Draft=cold blood
    Except that the term warmblood comes from the temperament of the horse, not that it's a hotblood/coldblood cross. At least that's the way it was originally intended.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter-eventer-hunter View Post
    Like it or not, Cold Blood + Hot Blood = Warm Blood.
    Err, sorry, but that's just not true. We're not talking about the water that comes out of your bathroom sink. This is about generations and generations of horses selectively bred for a specific type and purpose. A draft cross is a draft cross, not a warmblood.
    Founding member of the "I Miss bar.ka" clique
    Founding member of the "I Miss Pocket Trainer" clique

Quote Originally Posted by gray17htb View Post
    Unfortunately, I am surrounded by counties and counties of people that think their draft crosses are warmbloods.
    I just got told by a pony clubber that my Oldenburg was a draft cross. Heh. Silly girl. What is pony club teaching her?
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

look it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warmblood

it seems to be a little of both.
    to each his own