The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Free to great home - WB gelding in NY *UPDATED*

I am looking to find a home for my 14 year old warmblood. He is 17h and chestnut. Very low maintenence, lives out 24/7 currently, but is good in a stall as well. He is sound, and a real gentleman, although I would limit jumping due to an old injury. Probably shouldn't be jumped bigger than 2'6 and no more than twice a week. Good in ring and on trails, but sensative, needs tactful rider with a balanced seat and quiet hands. Was a showjumper, so is very BOLD to the fences. Has had three months professional dressage training, but has been out of work since June due to my insane work schedule, nothing to do with him. Wonderful horse, in your pocket kind of guy, loved to follow me around while I picked his field. Has choked in the past, but hasn't in 2 years, just needs his feed soaked and fed at ground level. I am moving at the end of the year and need to place him before I go (moving across the country and can't take him with me!)...

Contact for more info and pictures!
    Last edited by Sir's_Mom; Nov. 9, 2007 at 12:21 PM.
    I give the truth scope!

BUMP, really need to get this boy settled in his new situation!! Really sweet, puppydog horse! I will try and get some pictures to post!!
    I give the truth scope!

Bump again! Really need to have this boy moved quickly. I am moving, and really can't bring him with me!

You can call 845-667-2692 for further info. I am open to any and all possibilities. By the way, Slate Hill is in Orange County NY, about an hour an a half from NYC, if that helps!
    I give the truth scope!

How about posting pictures?
    Have you contacted PC and the OCDA to see if there is anyone there interested?
    Where is the horse boarded or will that be up to the leasor? That info might help.
    Alas I do not know anyone looking, but if I hear of anyone I'll tell 'em to check with you.

He is how tall? What breed? What level? Schoolmaster?
    Needs experienced rider or a beginner Dressage rider could learn from him?
    How about offering him to a barn as a Dressage lesson horse?

I will try and get some pictures, but I do not have a digital camera, so it makes it more difficult.

I have not posted the PC or OCDA, I don't think he would be suitable as a PC horse, since I do not want him jumping, and I don't really have contact with the OCDA, although I guess I could shoot off an e-mail.

The horse can be taken to an approved barn, he is currently at a backyard place with no riding facility, so he would need to be taken to another barn, anyway.

His height is 17hh (that is mentioned in original post), he's a Selle Francias, he has done some 2nd level stuff, bu needs work on his canter, he is not what I would consider a schoolmaster, but would be ok for an advanced beginner, he is tolerant to a point. I don't feel he would be a good lesson horse, he would get upset with that many different people riding him.
    I give the truth scope!

BUMP again, he still is looking for a home. He is a lovely horse that is completely useable!!
    I give the truth scope!

BUMP! I really need to get this boy moved! It's starting to become a desperate situtation. I really can't afford to pay his bills anymore, and I'm really trying to do the right thing by this wonderful boy.
    I give the truth scope!

I thought I read you had placed this horse?

Nope, have not even had anyone come and look at him!
    I give the truth scope!

I wish I could think of someone to try... the only ones I come up with are people to avoid.
    *sigh*
    I'll ask at my barn... but that is in NJ.

I would love to take him,, have a SF myself,, but I am in NM!!

He can go wherever (to a quality facility, of course), but I can't afford to ship him anywhere, so if anyone wants him that is far, if you can ship him, you can have him!!
    I give the truth scope!

Default Sent you a PM

Just wanted to let you know I sent you a PM on this guy...let me know if still available Thanks!
    Remember courage is not the absence of fear; it is doing what you need to do in spite of your fear. -Sue Foley.

BUMP! again! Still no luck finding a home for this great guy! I can't believe nobody is interested in a wonderful free warmblood gelding with very little maintenence needed!!
    I give the truth scope!

Can he definitely not jump at all? If he can do low stuff-perhaps you would have luck placing him in a barn where they could use him for lessons for advanced adults?

I don't think it would be the jumping that would not make him a great lesson horse, I think anyone who would be secure with the swapping leads behind in the canter who wants to jump, will be jumping more than 2'. Plus I don't think he would hold up to several jumping lessons a week. But he could jump little stuff for a private individual...
    I give the truth scope!

Is the problem cantering over fences or just plain cantering?

Looking for a light lesson horse... my lesson horses get to be lazy, they don't work hard at all. If students want to ride hard, they need to buy their own mount.

He swaps his leads cantering in general...so not sure he would suit someone who isn't balanced riding already!
    I give the truth scope!

I was just thinking of some good questions that potential adoptors might ask...
    What type of riding has this horse been doing? How long have you had him? Do you think the swapping leads is a training issue? Does he move balanced otherwise? When turned out does he have the same problem?

BUMP again! Moving at the end of the year, and need him placed by then, not sure what I'll do if I don't have him placed, and don't really want to think about the alternatives! You can view pictures at http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=9412138, it is a courtesy listing as I used to work there!!
    I give the truth scope!