The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Women ride horses because they can't communicate with humans ?

In a recent TV-Talk show, a psychotherapist made the statement that most of the women ride horses, because they have problems communicating with humans.

Honestly, (without giving names) this is also my own experience

1 members found this post helpful.

I'd concede an element of truth to that, yes.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Hmm, I know many humans who don't ride who can't communicate with Humans. Seems to be most adults in the work force.
    Grab mane and kick on!

www.rocksolid-training.com

Well, I...umm or rather....think that....uh....you know what I mean? Oh never mind. WHATever.

Hmmm, methinks it might be better said THIS way:

Most women ride horses because they prefer communicating with intelligent beings, and they do have problems communicating with lesser-intelligent humans.
    The horse, the noblest, bravest, proudest, most courageous, and certainly the most perverse and infuriating animal that humans ever domesticated. - Anne McCaffrey

Actually, I have been intrigued by how adept some trainers I have ridden with are at communicating difficult concepts to an over anxious, obssesive, easily confused human with two left feet and two right hands(that would be me.)
    Horses have a beauty to them that some people just don't get.

I have never encountered an adequate explaination for why women are drawn to horses, though there is the Emmylou song "the sweat's coming off him, he's huge and he's shy, and he steps on the moon, when he paws at the sky.." seems to come close to touching the outer edges of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancaster9 View Post
    Hmmm, methinks it might be better said THIS way:

Most women ride horses because they prefer communicating with intelligent beings, and they do have problems communicating with lesser-intelligent humans.
    Very well said and true, but i noticed that the communications between these women and their trainers is always very good

because a few people seem to very loudly communicate sentiments like 'i like my horse more than i like people', i don't think proves that women like horses because they can't communicate.

i think women ride and like horses for many reasons. many like the feeling of freedom and motion, which is exhillariating. many like the feeling of accomplishing something by mastering a difficult sport. some like having that hour each day in which they concentrate only on riding - it's a bit like a meditation break from a busy day. some like the thrill of competition. for many, it is a big part of a social network that involves riding, little local shows, club meetings, and lots and lots of chit chat on the phone. that doesn't suggest a lot of communication problem. for those who like riding as a status symbol, to make themselves look rich and sophisticated, they seem to have no problem communicating their activities to the world. for those who think of horsey as a kind of big fluffy puppy to replace a grown child, to dress up and cuddle, i am SURE they have no problem communicating that to others.

MOST of the people i know ride for many reasons. they simply like horses; they're pretty. they're fun to watch. they get a thrill out of the motion of riding, the excitement of competition, the challenge to improve, the horse riding friends.

i'd classify that as baloney (about communication with trainers). qiuite a few people communicate SO badly with their trainers, that they come onto bulletin board and ask people who have never met the trainer, to tell them what the trainer means, and find out if the trainer is any good.

as far as women like horses cause they can't communicate with people, what about men who like horses and riding? do they have a DIFFERENT reason for liking horses and riding, or do they ALSo have trouble communicating with people.

if the psychologist is proposing that a large group of very diverse people all do something because they all have communication problems, i think that is patently nuts.

if the psychologist is proposing that women have a different reason for liking horses and riding than men, i think it's also patently nuts.

when i was studying psychology a professor gave us an ironclad rule to follow: 'It is perfectly fine to write trashy books and articles about psychology with theories that have absolutely no ground in reality, but from an academic point of view, it's very important to only WRITE them, and not be caught READING them'.

now THAT's funny.

Great. TV talk show psychotherapy. Hmmm. If the theory were correct, wouldn't there be a lot more male riders?

Guilty, probably.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Default My experiences tell me that this is a very valid statement

Sorry SLC I don't buy your analyses, my experiences tell me that the Op made a very valid statement. My whole family is riding horses and I see this over and over again.

So whaddya guys think, did the apple fall close to the tree or what?
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

eh, I think there might be a grain of truth there. I know on several levels I feel sort of socially inept, and the kinds of things I worry about in social interactions I don't have to worry about at the barn. Pony doesn't care if I say the wrong thing or crack a joke that nobody thinks is funny.

The barn is the only place I feel like I don't have to try so hard.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Bunk. I find all kinds of people riding horses. Some are very talkative and some are not. Just like with people who don't ride horses. There also used to be that silly myth that women got turned on sexually by riding;of course, if it's a really nice stallion . Give me a break.

Quote Originally Posted by slc2 View Post
    because a few people seem to very loudly communicate sentiments like 'i like my horse more than i like people', i don't think proves that women like horses because they can't communicate.

i think women ride and like horses for many reasons. many like the feeling of freedom and motion, which is exhillariating. many like the feeling of accomplishing something by mastering a difficult sport. some like having that hour each day in which they concentrate only on riding - it's a bit like a meditation break from a busy day. some like the thrill of competition. for many, it is a big part of a social network that involves riding, little local shows, club meetings, and lots and lots of chit chat on the phone. that doesn't suggest a lot of communication problem.
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with slc.

On the whole I find the overanalyzing psychobabble about women and horses to be one big

Humans have been riding horses for thousands of years....let's get over making up silly reasons why.

Quote Originally Posted by 5-stallions View Post
    In a recent TV-Talk show, a psychotherapist made the statement that most of the women ride horses, because they have problems communicating with humans.

Honestly, (without giving names) this is also my own experience

So how would that explain women riding and driving horses before the automobile was invented?

I guess Eleanor of Aquitaine and her ladies rode to the Holy Land in the 2nd Crusade because only a horse understood her need to be in charge?

Elizabeth I rode horses because - what - nobody liked her?

Queen Victoria rode horses because - again - she had trouble communicating?

Folks - sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Women ride horses for all sorts of reasons - being socially inept is not the sole purview of women, nor is it the reason we like horses. Don't let some talking head add yet another reason for women to feel shitty about themselves.

That was an awfully vague statement attempting to label a large and varied group of people, IMO.

I know many women who ride. The vast majority of them have NO PROBLEM with communication.

5 stallions and War Admiral, are you men who agree with this statement? And was this psycotherapist a male? Just curious.
    My herd: "That Black Mare" and the Faux Pony
    Proud Closet Canterer!

Cool

slc =

i'd classify that as baloney (about communication with trainers). qiuite a few people communicate SO badly with their trainers, that they come onto bulletin board and ask people who have never met the trainer, to tell them what the trainer means, and find out if the trainer is any good.
    BRILLIANT!
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

I'd say there's a lot valid with that statement about riding horses.
    Except in my own opinion I'd expand it a bit:
    I personally think many people who spend more free time with all animals do so as communication...not to avoid it so much but to be able to have communication and affection and attention without any stress or possible unpleasantness. Not sure if this is making sense...but to hang out with dogs, cats, pets, horses, etc is a way to connect, relax and communicate in a way that removes the possibility of criticism, argument, controversy, etc...you can have a sort of two way communication without having to think too deep or watch what you say or avoid subjects.
    I don't see it as a replacement for human communication myself, but some maybe do. And that's understandable as long as they aren't otherwise total hermits.
    I will admit that if I've had a hard day, I do find it relaxing and fun to go chatter and hang out with my horses or my dog or cat or whatever I'm rehabbing at the time. (I don't chat with rehabs as much as quietly watch them, it's relaxing)
    But I can also chatter away with just about any human who's too slow to run away from me.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Call me crazy, but I ride horses because I like riding horses.
    Thoroughbreds: classic

Turn. N. Burn.