The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

That's so cute! She has pigtails! awwww. Congrats!

Question: (in all non-snarkiness) I found this picture because I wasn't aware of who the little girl is. Are pony finals based on the horse, or on the rider? I ask just because a bunch of the photos I saw looked similar to this one http://www.hunterjumpernews.com/v/20...cb356ff3e037f9, and while not discrediting the cute little talented rider she is...i see flaws that most people on these boards call out frequently. So i just wanted to see if these divisions she won are based on her or her horse? Confused a little
    ~*PVC JUMPER*~
    Dreams are meant to come true, not free...
    "Everything I do, I do out of fear of being mediocre."

Quote Originally Posted by pvcjumper View Post
    That's so cute! She has pigtails! awwww. Congrats!

Question: (in all non-snarkiness) I found this picture because I wasn't aware of who the little girl is. Are pony finals based on the horse, or on the rider? I ask just because a bunch of the photos I saw looked similar to this one http://www.hunterjumpernews.com/v/20...cb356ff3e037f9, and while not discrediting the cute little talented rider she is...i see flaws that most people on these boards call out frequently. So i just wanted to see if these divisions she won are based on her or her horse? Confused a little
    The PF's are based on the pony, not the rider. Equitation is not a factor in h/j classes. Unless she rode in the Pony Medal Final than equitation would count.

what a cute kid! I really like to see a kid on ponies in jods.
    congrats to her on a very successful showing in the finals!

And for the negativity...mods please remove her post. That is not and appropriate comment from an adult regarding a 10 year old child. That person should go pick on someone her own size so they can tell her to shut the F@*K up!

Did you get pictures of any other ponies?

Yes I have LOTS of pictures, anyone specific you are looking for?

Are pony finals based on the horse, or on the rider? I ask just because a bunch of the photos I saw looked similar to this one http://www.hunterjumpernews.com/v/20...cb356ff3e037f9, and while not discrediting the cute little talented rider she is...i see flaws that most people on these boards call out frequently. So i just wanted to see if these divisions she won are based on her or her horse? Confused a little
    Um, she's 10 years old. At that age, children literally don’t have the muscle and substance that even a 14 year olds do. Hence, they often compensate with their position. This kid has the eye of a tiger and gets her ponies around accurately. That is an unbelievable task for anyone, let alone a Jr (especially one that young!!). Many pros can't even put in trips like that.
    Member of the "I Ride A Chestnut Thoroughbred Mare, So You Don't Scare Me Clique"

Quote Originally Posted by Lives2Jump View Post
    Yes I have LOTS of pictures, anyone specific you are looking for?
    RosMel's UnContested - med green

Quote Originally Posted by LockeMeadows View Post
    Um, she's 10 years old. At that age, children literally don’t have the muscle and substance that even a 14 year olds do. Hence, they often compensate with their position. This kid has the eye of a tiger and gets her ponies around accurately. That is an unbelievable task for anyone, let alone a Jr (especially one that young!!). Many pros can't even put in trips like that.
    Just asking I don't know much at all about pony show circuits or what the criteria is. Again, congrats to the cute kid. Was not discrediting her, just asking.
    ~*PVC JUMPER*~

Quote Originally Posted by grandprixjump View Post
    She had 3 650k ponies
    Regardless, I'd say that the kid stepped up to the plate and that the parents got what they paid for.

If the kid rode that well on lesser ponies she would not have won. If she rode the same ponies but didn't do her part, she would not have won. The kid did her job and the ponies held up their end of the bargain, and together they won. Good for her!

Can't you just say congrats to her...or nothing at all.

Must we ALWAYS go this way on any Hunter post?

She is a tiny thing and obviously rides effectively...and trust me...if she got around those courses that well she is no poser/percher stuck atop a packer.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Your right findeight, though I dont think your post was aimed at me since my question was about what pony finals are judged on and not really meant snarkily. Congrats to the little girl either way.

Question:

Do kids that show in these events (are they national?), do they get money prizes or just ribbons and stuff? Does the $$ go to the kids? The parents? Or is it put into a fund or something that they get when they turn 18? Or does the money actually go to the owner of the horse since I think someone earlier said they belong to other farms?
    ~*PVC JUMPER*~

Quote Originally Posted by grandprixjump View Post
    I bet it's very unusual for ONE PERSON to have MORE THAN ONE pony in their possession to show at that level.
    Actually, it isn't as unusual as you seem to think . . .

I don't know this kid personally, nor have I looked at the official results of PF, but sometimes these kids do not own all of the ponies/horses that they ride. Talented kids are often sought out to ride other peoples talented ponies. (Note: I am not saying these were or were not catch rides for Lillie - I truly have no idea. Just saying that goes on often as well).

Whatever the ownership status is of the ponies that she rode, the fact remains that this kid won ALL THREE REGULAR divisions at Pony Finals! Winning ONE is a big deal - winning all three in the same year is a HUGE deal. She deserves tons of credit!

Question:

Do kids that show in these events (are they national?), do they get money prizes or just ribbons and stuff? Does the $$ go to the kids? The parents? Or is it put into a fund or something that they get when they turn 18? Or does the money actually go to the owner of the horse since I think someone earlier said they belong to other farms?

Well, it really depends. They do give out money to these events. If the rider owns the pony and won the money, they can do with it whatever they would like to do: parents might put it in a trust, might use it to go towards entry fees, might give it to the kids for shopping, ect. A lot of shows already put the money towards the entry fees, but I'm not sure about PF. Usually, there is a check in the envelope handed out with the ribbon. Its whatever the parents or kid rider wants to do with it, no rules on what happens.

If the rider is only CATCHRIDING the pony and dosen't own the pony, then its up to the owners digression. The owner usually keeps it, but its totally up to them. [search threads about "catchriding" to get that whole thing understood about who keeps prizes, gifts, money, ribbons, ect]

Quote Originally Posted by ForTheLoveOfHorse View Post
    Congratulations to Lillie Keenan! That is such an excting accomplishment for anyone!

However, and I don't want to be bombed for this... it is just a question/comment.
    Is she really as nice as everyone is saying? Because although she is a fabulous rider, I have seen a not so nice side of her twice. Once was last year when she was riding a pony who used to be owned by one of my really good friends. She had just come out of the ticketed warm up ring at pony finals, and me and my friend walked up to her to say hi. We walk over and say, "Hi! Is that Finny?", and her response was, in a very rude tone, "What do you think?". And then she walked off. Another time I was standing next to her, and I said hi, and she rolled her eyes and walked off. Maybe I just caught her at two really bad times, but that sure didn't leave a good impression on me.
    From the one experience I had with her she was extremely pleasant...first a friend of mine dragged me to go pet her ponies and she let said friend graciously and was like "yea so and so is the best" when said friend mentioned the pony. Another time she needed someone to hack a large and let a kid do it, that kid was supposed to hack Beau Rivage, but the kid idolized vanity fair and so she let her hack it, the fact that beau rivage had more points in the division may have had something to do with it, but still, coco has a better hack
    Oh Sweetheart
    Make A Splash
    The Adventures of a College Equestrian

Quote Originally Posted by MissintheSouth View Post
    And for those of you snarking of her many $$$ horses, I believe she only owns one of those ponies. According to Phelps (by the way of HunterJumperNews), Enchanted Forest is owned by Chansonette Farm LLC (I am assuming this one is hers),
    Isn't she Pamela Carmichael's daughter? If so I remember Ponybreeder telling us to watch for her because she is such a talented rider. Chansonette Farm, sounds like a combination of Pam Carmichael's two junior hunters, Chance Step and Lansonette.

Regardless, that is a great riding accomplishment and doesn't deserve the nasty comments. Congratulations to Lillie.

Oh for heaven's sake...the kid is TEN.

Let's not trash her in cyberspace because she may have had a "not nice moment" in the recollection of some poster or other...who just had to share the event from their side.

You want to see a not nice moment, you oughta see me on a hot afternoon at a show when my class gets pushed back yet again after showing up dressed at the ring...and nobody bothered to share the rescheduale. I've had alot more practice at it then some 10 year old too.

Lay off the kid.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Congratulations Lillie! I'm sure it was a week you won't soon forget. What an accomplishment!

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Isn't she Pamela Carmichael's daughter? If so I remember Ponybreeder telling us to watch for her because she is such a talented rider. Chansonette Farm, sounds like a combination of Pam Carmichael's two junior hunters, Chance Step and Lansonette.

Regardless, that is a great riding accomplishment and doesn't deserve the nasty comments. Congratulations to Lillie.
    I think that is correct, I had heard her mom was a big junior rider in her days. I had assumed that Chansonette Farm was hers (or her parents' rather). Personally, I don't think who bought what is relevant to how successful she is (or will be), I just wanted to point out the error in another posters saying she owned all three ponies. It's not like the ponies are aware who pays the bills!

Wow- three championships? That's just great. At age 10. Wow.

I will say, that sometimes it does seem like hunter riders get on hot streaks and just keep winning on whatever horse they are on. I think they have more to do with the success of a round then we give credit for.