The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face Special small pony available for free lease

I have a much-beloved small pony who is looking for a job in another location. Minnie needs to move away from our southern/coastal climate because she is bothered by allergies in the late summer/early fall. She seems to be doing fairly well this year with high doses of Ester-C, but not well enough.

She is an 8 y.o. registered Dartmoor cross who is also registered as an American Sport Pony (straight 8's at her inspection!). She's about 12.1 1/2 hh and a real sport model! She has a very nice way of going and a very cute jump. She's loads of fun: brave and adventuresome, she happily hacks out alone and with company. She's done some Pony Club, foxhunted, and evented, but she really has potential in the hunter ring! She's been reserve or champion everytime out at the locals with my kids and she did well at her last lease. With a little work she'll make a nice fancy show pony for some kid.

With all that said, I wouldn't promote her as a first pony. She has a pretty good motor and often is opinionated. She needs a child who is confident, adventuresome, and fun loving (like her). Ideally, I would like to place her with a trainer who has other ponies and lots of kids.

I think Minnie would also make a good driving pony - it's in her blood. She does ground drive, but I have never put her to cart. I would be very happy for her to find an adult who wanted a pony to drive. Then she wouldn't be outgrown!

I would also consider a breeding lease.

Needless to say, I will require (and check) glowing references....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Minniejump1.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	18411   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MInniejump2.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	147.5 KB 
ID:	18412   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Autumn Classic 02.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	18413   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Autumn Classic 03.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	18414   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Autumn Classic 09.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	18415  

Last edited by Erin; Aug. 19, 2007 at 11:26 AM.
    Y'all ain't right!

I forgot to add that depending on the situation, etc. I might be willing to help with shipping costs.
    Y'all ain't right!

She is ADORABLE! I have been looking for a pony mare just like her for my small Arabian stallion... Is VA too far away?

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

The question is, is VA far enough? Seriously, if it's not coastal, I bet VA is far enough.
    I would really like to try to find the little beastie a working home if possible though. Can I get back to you?
    Y'all ain't right!

Default Well, if it doesn't work out for Va

I'd be seriously interested.
    I'm in Se Pa near Reading.
    I'm not a trainer, just a do it yourselfer that rides and breeds. I have an 11 yo that would love this cutie. She started out riding on a neighbors Dartmoor cross.
    This little mare looks like she'd be an awesome producer of sport pony foals too.
    I can provide references.

I can be reached at either email addy
    MCormier@ugi.com
    Mare6179@hotmail.com

Default BeastieSlave

I sent you a PM.
    ;-)

I just have to say that I LOVE, LOVE this pony!! She is not as bossy and opinionated as Beastieslave makes out. ;-) She is very quiet when in regular work and she is a fabulous jumper, with the perfect step for the smalls.
    Fullcirclefarmsc.com

I had to make her sound that way to scare off the people who might be looking for a pony like my other one

Seriously, In the Air is right. I forgot to mention what a loving pony Minnie is and how much she loves to be the center of all attention!
    Y'all ain't right!

I just sent an e-mail to the vet that was looking for a pony for his kids. I will hear from them in a day or two so don't give her away yet!!!
    Fullcirclefarmsc.com

I just sent you a PM . . .

Default BeastieSlave

I was looking for an email addy to send some farm pictures.
    Didn't see it.

Mean while, I live in the land of *The Horse of Delaware Valley*. :-)
    Have a look.
    http://www.horsedelval.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieSlave View Post
    The question is, is VA far enough? Seriously, if it's not coastal, I bet VA is far enough.
    I would really like to try to find the little beastie a working home if possible though. Can I get back to you?
    We live in central VA. I have a 2 1/2 year old son who would love to have something his size around the farm when the time comes for him to do some lead line classes Whoever gets to take her in will sure be lucky, she is super cute!

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

Very cute. Did you find her a situation yet?
    She would be a nice cross with my pony stallion.
    Windswept Stables-Specializing in Ponies
    Sales, Breaking,Training,Showing, Stud Service

Home of 2008 Sire of Year Reserve Champion
    Pony Hunter Breeding - Empires Power

www.EmpiresPower.com

I am looking for a pony for my kids and was looking for an 11 to 12 hand pony for riding and driving. I was not sure if my son would take to riding but I know he will like to drive. I have a 4 and 5 almost 6 year old that will be starting lessons tomorrow!

If she is still available and you think MS humidity would be OK we can discuss it. I am just trying to find a pony that will be good for my kids and I usually keep my horses for life so I don't rush into anything.
    /Don't Judge...
    1 in 100 children, 1 in 94 boys and 1 in 88 military children...
    It’s time to listen.
    Every day!/

MSP, I have a feeling that MS is a little too much like south GA for Minnie
    Y'all ain't right!

I was afraid of that. She probably would do well in New England or the dryer areas of the country. We have just too much humidity down south. Best of luck she is a really nice pony and they are so hard to find.
    /Don't Judge...
    1 in 100 children, 1 in 94 boys and 1 in 88 military children...
    It’s time to listen.
    Every day!/

Quote Originally Posted by MSP View Post
    I was afraid of that. She probably would do well in New England or the dryer areas of the country. We have just too much humidity down south. Best of luck she is a really nice pony and they are so hard to find.
    I often wish I was looking for a place with less humidity and cooler temps....
    Good luck on your search!
    Y'all ain't right!

I am wondering if she would be good in NY? Need a pony for a timid 8 year old. Is this pony still available.
    Jamie
    ThePonyPaddock
    Welsh Section B Stallion **Maranatha Tapestry**
    Currently Standing at Helicon Sport Ponies

I am a hunter/jumper trainer and own my own barn. My facility in located in Northern Michigan which ideal for combating allergies! I am looking for a pony for our young students to learn on. Several horses have been donated to our riding program or have been here on a free lease. I would love to have your pony here and would be willing to give you plenty of references. Let me know if she is still available. Thanks

Minnie is a really sweet small pony, but I don't think that at this point in her life/career she'd be the best mount for timid or just starting out children. She has a strong motor and often has strong opinions.
    Y'all ain't right!