The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

It is not the banks - it is the politicians that allow the zoning changes to happen...they think that MORE tax payers bring more $$ (and voters)...hmm, and many requests for roads, schools, (hospitals, Nordstroms, Starbucks, etc.) which those of us who moved out here many years ago and sacrificed those convenience do not want. I live in Purcellville, 15 minutes from "Salamanderburg" and now have McMansions in my back yard, many of them are in foreclosure and cannot be sold even at a HUGE discounted rates from their original costs of $1.4M but the building continues with complete disregard to agriculture that the County "says' they want to preserve. Although they have paved up the land and put in these houses, I guess in the midst of the drought I am happy they lie empty because it does not put as much pressure on my wells as it could if they were inhabited (and watering their lawns).

I remember 21 years ago when I moved to the DC area, I worked for a guy who drew a huge circle from Richmond to Baltimore out west towards Front Royal and said "mark my words, in 25 years, THIS will be the Washington/Metro area" at the time, we thought he was nuts, scary how correct he was.

I too, cannot help thinking there must be a "glut" of empty houses east of me but, "if you build it, they will come". When I moved to Purcellville 15 years ago, everyone I knew hadn't even heard of it and couldn't fathom why I was moving "so far out"...HA, they found and followed me!

So, how does this apply to the horse industry, it pushes all of us farther and farther out (I can't help thinking I was forced out of Fairfax County because I had horses). For the 7th largest industry in the state of VA, there really is no "industry" being considered. The state beats its chest that they are the 4th largest state for horses but do nothing for us. Bitter, just a little!

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Thanks a bunch
    Ditto.

What Glimmerglass said.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
    I don't have a dog in this fight, either, as I neither live in Middleburg nor do I have the money to patronize the resort. But I wonder, with the ever-expanding DC suburbs gobbling up Northern VA, did anyone really think Middleburg wouldn't change regardless of the inn? The recent market "correction" may slow things down a bit, but the McMansions are coming. They ate up a bunch of other small towns, why should Middleburg be immune? I'm honestly baffled by this idea that the inn is going to be the one thing that destroys the town.

Exactly. Look what has happened to my home county of Loudoun. To anyone new to those areas, it is NOT anything near what it used to be. It sickens me to no end. None of this area is what it used to be when I was growing up, sad to say. It was a super sized super fast destruction of one of the most beautiful horse areas in the nation.
    Proud to have two Takaupa Gold line POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

Quote Originally Posted by La Gringa View Post
    Fredericksburg and South, are already developed, they can just stay down there, as far as I am concerned.

Along the I-95 is the place to do this, not in the Bluemont.
    Have you looked at a map? I 95 runs through Spotsylvania. And NO, it is not already developed, though we are fighting the same fight you are. Hanover, Caroline and parts of Spotsy are still relatively rural.

Please don't wish your troubles on us

Edited to add: Hello Galloway
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Avalon1970 Guest

Angry oh my...

Well, even though I don't live in Middleburg, I have plenty of friends that do. And I know they're all gonna be so annoyed by all this. As it is, everyone knows not to come into town on the weekends when all the tourists are there. Parking is a bitch, and actually, so are a lot of the tourists. Should be interesting however if the folks staying at the inn decide to go to Magpies on a sunday night when all the jump jocks are there.... We have managed to scare away some of the Upperville show people in past years with the insane drunk jocks....

Quote Originally Posted by PiedPiper View Post
    hjer- Have you driven in a roundabout? They really aren't that bad and are quite popular in Europe. And they have been statistically show to help with high congestion when they take the place of a light. Gilbert's Corner is completely snarled so any improvement there would be nice.

But LaGringa is completely right. There has been plans in the work for a new hospital off of rt. 50 which, if it does happen, will be the end to the rural community to Middleburg and beyond. There has been talk and some work on building another "Ashburn" right there at Gilbert's Corner that would greatly increase the congestion and there was (at the time I read the article) no real plans for road development. Things will come to a crawl from Leesburg to Haymarket, and Chantilly out through Middleburg.

The Inn is really the least of the worries and not sure if may realize there is already development of a Ritz Carlton right past Gilbert's Corner on rt. 15. And it is a golf community not a horse one. I am not sure how many houses are in the works along with the Hotel but that is definitely coming and soon.

I also believe that the originally proposed plans for the Inn was much bigger than what it ended up being. I am on the fence about the Inn as I am a capitalist at heart and do think it will help the stores in Middleburg and thusly the community. But, when livign there, was so tired of the weekend visitors.

But, in my mind, I would rather have S. Johnson's plans than another Ashburn.

And answering another poster, no this wouldn't impact S. Johnson's farm as it isn't on the same road but it isn't that far away from the town of Middleburg either.
    Is this Ritz Carlton you are refering to on the land that used to be an Arabian horse farm years ago and now has a golf course under construction??? Or is the Ritz Carlton going to be on yet another large piece of property????
    We have been in Fauquier County for over 30 years and it is just sickening the way the landscape has changed with all the development. Route 15 is a horror and used to be a pleasant drive with or without a horse trailer. I guess the problem is that we all are too close to Washington DC and the area has been ripe for expansion and profits for developers for too long.
    Sad, isn't it??
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

I'm thinking the single resort gals will LOVE magpies. I got hit on my first 5 minutes there. On a weekday afternoon. Spent my last $12 there, I'm sure it would be $20 now though. I can't really bemoan Middleburg anymore than any of the farm land going away down here. It's nice to have lovely "farms" that only produce humans that excell in excessive consumption, but around here the farms that are going to the developers used to produce food. One of these days milk will be $5/gallon. Not that the landed gentry in Middleburg will care. I think it's interesting that folks with piles of money and influence can't stop the developers either. Kind of evens things out a bit. Of course there are some working class folks in the Middleburg area that will be happy for some employment that doesn't involve mucking. And the visitors to the Inn might actually tip and smile.

Yes, the Ritz is where the golf course is under construction, initially the base price of a house at Creighton Farms was set at $2.4M, don't know how that has changed based on today's market...then there are the 600 "elite homes" going in on the corner of 15/50-good luck getting thru that traffic at any time of the day...no one will ever get to Middleburg.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Have you looked at a map? I 95 runs through Spotsylvania. And NO, it is not already developed, though we are fighting the same fight you are. Hanover, Caroline and parts of Spotsy are still relatively rural.

Please don't wish your troubles on us

Edited to add: Hello Galloway
    That's where the development is going, hate to break it to you. Fredericksburg, Stafford, on south. Ladysmith.

That's the lifeline of the East Coast, you can't expect that corridor not to be developed. None of that land up and down that corridor is pristine either. It's been developed and disturbed for a long long time. No old growth forests along that corridor.

To keep the economy of this country going we need jobs and we need some building and growth. It just needs to be directed in the right areas. If it stopped completely, it would actually hurt us all. No product, no jobs, leads to bad economy.

I don't mean to say to shove this to someone else's backyard, but realistically it's probably where it's going to go.
    One of a Kind Studio
    Fine Art Paintings, Horses, Dogs, Wildlife and anything else that inspires.

New convert to the cow horse world.. love my QH mare.

Quote Originally Posted by J Swan View Post
    I loathe that woman.
    {deleted by moderator - personal attack}

First she lied about how small and what an impact her little place would have...then whined how she needed more rooms to make it pay...then bribed the town with some public work promises...now the town is totally bought and paid for.

Pathetic
    Last edited by Chestnut Mare; Aug. 21, 2007 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Trakhaner, you dont' need to engage in nasty attacks, stick to the issue at hand

But the same is true for Middleburg. Look how Winchester has exploded. With a fabulous hospital, job oppurtunities and what is now considered a reasonable commute for many workers to the Dulles Corridor.

Middleburg is in the middle of that expansion and isn't immune. Also there are a few developers who live out in Middleburg now.

The problem, across the board, is there aren't many farmers in the area anymore, wealthy or not. Now NOVA is made up for people who have moved here in the last few decades, who didn't grow up here, and have no interest in keeping it the way it has been. So put that with land/money/job oppurtunity expansion and you have drastically changing landscape.

Gainesville is a clusterfu**.

Whatever happened to PW county's "rural crescent".

I don't loathe Sheila Johnson for the Inn. I loathe her because she's an ariviste and came into Middleburg with the attitude that she was going to teach the rednecks a lesson.

I don't have a problem with new folks creating Inns, or people buying estates.

What I don't like is the attitude. Newcomers come to the country for the "rural life", then bitch that there's no Nordstrom.

That's the attitude that destroyed Loudoun - destroyed what was left of PW and Fairfax - and is in the process of destroying Fauquier.

And Loudoun and Fauquier are the horsiest parts of the entire state. But not for much longer...

Perhaps the rednecks needed a lesson. There is no doubt in my mind that if her race were different, she would be meeting much less resistance. The good ole' boy attitude is deeply ingrained in M'burg.

Glimmerglass, as ever insightful and articulate!
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

I live between Middleburg and Purcellville. If I were on the other side of Snickersville Turnpike I'd have a M'burg address.

From my 2+ years on the REDC(rural economic development council) in Loudoun I knew that this would be approved. Although, what the final form would be was not sure. # of rooms, style, etc. I gave up my position on the REDC. It seemed that it was a lot of time providing recommendations to a pro-development Board of Supervisors. Not to mention, Melinda Artman seems to be a great enemy of any kind of rural economic developments. She is one of the County employees and gets to "interpret" the poorly written zoning regs and amazingly she always falls on the side AGAINST the rural endeavors. At least every case I've ever talked to her (or listened to her) about. Let me tell you, it is pretty frustrating to have a county employee basically able to make decisions and be a mini-god, unless you have can bankroll all kinds of site plans that amazingly....developers all have a budget for!

I personally agree with those who think that race plays a part in some of the opposition to Salamander Inn. Blatant racism is often displayed in my presence, but see, I'm a petite, white female, from Texas, and people talk to me, and all "political correctness" frequently flies out the window.

I especially <sarcasm on> like <sarcasm off> the "her daughter can't ride" comments. What does that have to do with the Inn, development in M'burg, or the price of tea in China? I've never noticed riding abilities really making too much of a difference when you can buy nice horses and training.

The "New" money argument. The difference between new money and old money is that with the old money....the extravagant spending went on in prior generations, so they inherit the crap that new money has to buy from scratch.

But, I just returned from taking my son to yet another friend's home. Since there is ONE HS in all of western Loudoun, this means I drive all over the place to take him to friend's houses. Waterford, Round Hill, Hamilton, Lovettsville, etc. And every time, I discover a new subdivision of HUGE McMansions. 8000 sqft+. There is 42 acres next to my little farm and I would LOVE to be in a financial position to buy and leave it grazing fields, but I'm tapped out with my little farm.

I'll take the Inn. Those temporary "residents" or tourists, if you please, will not be using the schools, nor many of the services.

Quote Originally Posted by La Gringa View Post
    That's where the development is going, hate to break it to you. Fredericksburg, Stafford, on south. Ladysmith.

<SNIP>

I don't mean to say to shove this to someone else's backyard, but realistically it's probably where it's going to go.
    Not if some of us can help it. Yes we have some development along the interstate like Central Park and Celebrate VA, but that doesn't mean it has to spread away from the interstate. Believe it or not we want to preserve our life style, too, and we have other things worth preserving, like battlefields and other historical areas.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I think it's pretty pathetic that the only thing you can add is the "race" card. The color of this woman's skin is completely irrelevant. The attitude and throwing money around and threats was what made people dislike her - not where her ancestors came from.

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    Perhaps the rednecks needed a lesson. There is no doubt in my mind that if her race were different, she would be meeting much less resistance. The good ole' boy attitude is deeply ingrained in M'burg.

Glimmerglass, as ever insightful and articulate!

No, it is not irrelevant. Did you not just read SaddleFitter's post? She witnessed the attitude first hand. Do you really believe that racism doesn't exist in a community such as Middleburg? And what the hell attitude did she have? "Throwing money around" in her chosen community? Gee, perhaps it HELPED that community. They certainly don't have a problem with the tourists "throwing money around." Yeah, she bought a block of buildings and is doing something with them. And a good thing, too, because the rents are so damn high in that town that not many people can afford to set up shop. Maybe she really believes she is helping a town that she loves. Could that possibly be it?
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

I do agree with that. There seems to be pretty high turnover within the town of Middleburg with many shops coming and going almost overnight. Again if the oppurtunity isn't there then S. Johnson wouldn't be able to purchase anything. So if those stores hadn't been up for sale, gone out of business, etc nothign would have happened.

And as a side note, what is it with many of the shops in Middleburg that are basically sustained by weekend tourist but are closed Sundays? And who much business can you do period when your shop hours are from 10-5?

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    Here are your choices people, move somewhere else, or BUY UP ALL THE SURROUNDING PROPERTY SO YOU CAN CONTROL YOUR DESTINY!!!
    In his 2004 memoir Horse People, Michael Korda writes about how he did precisely that. He bought adjoining land which the previous owners put up for sale so that he'd have some barrier between himself and the developers.

In their 1990 book Thoroughbred Kingdoms, Henry Horenstein & Carol Flake publish photos of TB farms with housing developments across the road, and relate how the farm owners soon sold up.

My point here is that all this is nothing new. If you want to keep the developments out buy the land first. Keep your ear to the ground and your nose to the real estate ads.
    Starts with an 'S,' ends with a 'T.' You figure it out.

"Houston, Tranquility Base here, picking up where we left off ..."

Whatever happened to PW county's "rural crescent".
    Under constant threat, but still pretty much intact.
    And Loudoun and Fauquier are the horsiest parts of the entire state. But not for much longer...
    Every time I turn around, there are MORE horse farms here in Prince William.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).