The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

The Inn at Little Washington is my very favorite since we had our wedding reception there and celebrate there often. Happy it is less than a half hour from home too!! Fabulous hotel rooms too!!
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by see u at x View Post
    Just to make sure this remains horse related, I'm wondering how this is going to affect all the horse-related happenings in the area? Any ideas?
    Excellent point...I have already heard rumblings that many of these wealthy newcomers are against foxhunting and they will be organizing and expressing their displeasure sometime in the future.

Very ominous.

The only thing that would stop the rape of Middleburg....a DEPRESSION.

In Oregon, they draw a circle around the cities, NO development outside them. And they enforce it. Guess what? Very few of the huge building corporations are out there. Mostly local builders who are not quite so shareholder oriented.

But then the west coast is always 30 years ahead of us.
    Last edited by Tantivy1; Aug. 23, 2007 at 08:05 AM.

Out West they probably don't have to contend with the monstrosity known as the Dillon Rule.

The best thing to happen around here is the slowdown in the housing market.

Tantivy - my beef has nothing to do with wealth, or race, or nationality - I only get ticked at those who move out to the country and then complain about bears crapping in their yard. They bitch there is no Starbucks. No movie theatres. No malls. No soccer fields.

Well - what did they expect? You move to the country and assimilate - you don't move to the country and then complain that it's not New York City.

If I moved to the city I wouldn't complain that I can't let my dog roam free, or I can't hunt, or I don't like all the ethnic groups - I'd be expected to adapt and assimilate. And so I would.

I never understand why people move out here and expect the entire area to suddenly conform to what they perceive "rural" to be. It's just as diverse and just as strong (or stronger) a community and culture as urban areas. Yet it isn't respected as such - most newcomers want to destroy it.

Why not just assimilate or adapt? Don't like hunting? Don't do it. Don't like going to church? Don't go. Don't like playing bingo at the fire hall on Wednesdays? Well - don't go. But why this insistence on stopping others?

I think it's less about enjoying rural life for its own sake, and more about making it for people "just like us". God forbid someone lives next to a guy that collects hubcaps, or farms, or hunts, drives a dirty car, doesn't vacation at the beach, isn't white collar......

Quote Originally Posted by Tantivy1 View Post
    Excellent point...I have already heard rumblings that many of these wealthy newcomers are against foxhunting and they will be organizing and expressing their displeasure sometime in the future.

Very ominous.

In Oregon, they draw a circle around the cities, NO development outside them. And they enforce it. Guess what? Very few of the huge building corporations are out there. Mostly local builders who are not quite so shareholder oriented.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki^ View Post
    Oh IDK, about $250 for the weekend, including everything. I pay $515 a month in rent so I think it's a bit tacky to charge $500+ a night at an Inn.
    Are you in NOVA!?! That would be unbelievably cheap rent for this area so really everything is realitive. Shoot 515 for rent would be with one or two roommates around here.

You can find 250 a weekend here but it isn't going to be at a high end resort. It is more going to be a Motel 6 or maybe a Howard Johnson with a special running.

Quote Originally Posted by J Swan View Post
    Out West they probably don't have to contend with the monstrosity known as the Dillon Rule.

The best thing to happen around here is the slowdown in the housing market.

Tantivy - my beef has nothing to do with wealth, or race, or nationality - I only get ticked at those who move out to the country and then complain about bears crapping in their yard. They bitch there is no Starbucks. No movie theatres. No malls. No soccer fields.

Well - what did they expect? You move to the country and assimilate - you don't move to the country and then complain that it's not New York City.

If I moved to the city I wouldn't complain that I can't let my dog roam free, or I can't hunt, or I don't like all the ethnic groups - I'd be expected to adapt and assimilate. And so I would.

I never understand why people move out here and expect the entire area to suddenly conform to what they perceive "rural" to be. It's just as diverse and just as strong (or stronger) a community and culture as urban areas. Yet it isn't respected as such - most newcomers want to destroy it.

Why not just assimilate or adapt? Don't like hunting? Don't do it. Don't like going to church? Don't go. Don't like playing bingo at the fire hall on Wednesdays? Well - don't go. But why this insistence on stopping others?

I think it's less about enjoying rural life for its own sake, and more about making it for people "just like us". God forbid someone lives next to a guy that collects hubcaps, or farms, or hunts, drives a dirty car, doesn't vacation at the beach, isn't white collar......
    Just imagine what a city person like that would do if they saw KEVIN BACON swimming in his trough!! Horrors! A pig taking a dip? Oh my!!

I agree with you 100% Jessie.

IS THAT HORSE POOP??

Ahhh a squirrel! Ever watched Sex in the City, the episode where Carrie goes to the Country? Some people just aren't meant to be in the country.

My personal favorite is when city folks come to Middleburg, all dressed in riding clothes and they have never in their lives been on a horse. Brand new Dehner boots shined, no mud or scratches. Breeches pressed, no wear on them, ladies caked with makeup, big hair, and big blingy sunglasses.

I love to walk past them in my muddy boots smelling like horse sweat. ROTFLMAO.

One of a Kind Studio
    Fine Art Paintings, Horses, Dogs, Wildlife and anything else that inspires.

New convert to the cow horse world.. love my QH mare.

Quote Originally Posted by Tantivy1 View Post

Very ominous.

With DC being so close and the Federal Goverment, this area is pretty much reccession proof let alone Depression proof. Unless there is some dramatic shift with the Federal Government this area will always be a profitable place to live in. And I am not too upset by that as it allows me a salary to afford boarding out three horses.

I think it's less about enjoying rural life for its own sake
    It's about escaping the city and its problems, and recreating "the best" of the city in a nice clean place with no minorities, no poor people in the open, and no ugly suburbaness. The people moving to the country for this reason are better off building gated communities with shoppes and big houses on tiny lots....perhaps located somewhere on a train / light rail.

If I could, I'd buy land on Charlotte's light rail, wall it, put a secured gate and make it an interview process to buy a house, have a private school, a nice "Main Street Village and Shoppes" with starbucks, panera, doctor and spa. Make the minimum house $350,000, have some condos for older folks at $350,000. Call it something fake "Chaeshire Landing"..... I'd be rich if I could discriminate. Then I'd take my money and go buy a ranch in Utah and a farm NoVa and a plane to take me between the two.

Kevin got a bushel of Kohlrabi yesterday - happy happy pig.
    I found out goats do not like Kohlrabi. They think I am trying to poison them.

I don't want to seem as if I'm bashing urbanites - I'm really not. Each type of community has its charms.

One of the things about living in rural areas is that it's often much more diverse than urban areas - a millionaire might be living next to an old single wide with a junked car in the front yard. Or, like Middleburg, you have the haves and the have nots - and not much in the middle. I've got neighbors that abhore hunting, and neighbors that plan their whole lives around whats in season. I even have a neighbor that's a taxidermist - which I keep forgetting. (I need to bring him a rabbit if Peanut gets another one)

I guess I reserve the right to be peeved at a Lerner who moves in and starts spouting off and banning hunting - or maybe I should be more peeved at the previous owner, who could have easily protected the land, at little to no expense, and even done so in a tax advantageous manner. There is a bit of a myth that deed restricting/easements lower the value of the land.

When I moved here, the residents were greatly relieved that I had no plans to develop, permitted hunting, and didn't mind their guinea hens work me up in the morning. Not saying I'm perfect - but perhaps just more realistic about the realities of country living.

In turn - all the neighbors for miles around (except for two rentals) are great. We're all there for each other - loose livestock, storm/flood damage, power outage, you name it. So one neighbor has an odd assortment of hubcaps decorating his yard and his chickens get loose and perch outside my window hollering their fool heads off.

Heck - I consider it part of his charm!

Quote Originally Posted by La Gringa View Post
    Just imagine what a city person like that would do if they saw KEVIN BACON swimming in his trough!! Horrors! A pig taking a dip? Oh my!!

I agree with you 100% Jessie.

IS THAT HORSE POOP??

Ahhh a squirrel! Ever watched Sex in the City, the episode where Carrie goes to the Country? Some people just aren't meant to be in the country.

My personal favorite is when city folks come to Middleburg, all dressed in riding clothes and they have never in their lives been on a horse. Brand new Dehner boots shined, no mud or scratches. Breeches pressed, no wear on them, ladies caked with makeup, big hair, and big blingy sunglasses.

I love to walk past them in my muddy boots smelling like horse sweat. ROTFLMAO.

Quote Originally Posted by J Swan View Post
    Kevin got a bushel of Kohlrabi yesterday - happy happy pig.
    I found out goats do not like Kohlrabi. They think I am trying to poison them.
    They don't like zucchini either unfortunately
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Sorry - this one made my LOLOLOL!!!! The one year my sister and I built a veggie garden, the only veggies that flourished were zucchini. My or my, did they ever flourish!!!!
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

The land of heat waves and unbearable humidity

Quote Originally Posted by PiedPiper View Post
    Are you in NOVA!?! That would be unbelievably cheap rent for this area so really everything is relative. Shoot 515 for rent would be with one or two roommates around here.

You can find 250 a weekend here but it isn't going to be at a high end resort. It is more going to be a Motel 6 or maybe a Howard Johnson with a special running.
    I live....well in Mobile, Al Where the land is plentiful but the culture lacking. We do have downtown full of bars but that gets really boring after a while. Not enough horse farms(I think a total of 4) and if I am to show I have to go to Gulfport or Pensacola.
    "Common sense is so rare nowadays, it should be classified as a super power."-Craig Bear Laubscher

Hmmm, after riding last weekend, my friend and I went to the Market Salamander for lunch and it was sooooooooo yummy!!!!

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

grumble grumble grumble - my mum lived in Middleburg 30 years - I just moved her down to a retirment community near me. Middleburg just LOVED all of Ms Johnson's money - buying up those loser businesses on main street (Rte 50) for millions - woopee! But then, eek, she bought the Harriman property and did her "spa" plan (and even changed the whole plan to add more residences) and guess what? Middleburg got a new water system!

Loudoun County is all about build build build - I am waiting to see how those 300 + guests will get into Middleburg for their weekend or week of pleasure (and love that the store to sell spa goods is all ready open!!) - but frankly, the town, and Loudoun bought into this mega plan -

While I have no love of SJ, it wouldn't have happened if not for the town and the county licking their lips!
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com