The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Inn Approved in Middleburg

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...081002641.html

I have no dog in this fight, but I can't imagine what 50 additional houses on the outskirts of town is going to do to the traffic in this small town. Kind of a shame the way it's changing...
    If you must choose between two evils, choose the one that you've never tried before.

I loathe that woman.

Okay, since when was Middleburg in deep doo doo about money???
    Why Middleburg???
    Come down to Orange, buy up 500 acres near Montpelier and put the dang resort there! We'll gladly take the business. And we have plenty of land and bigger roads.
    Jeez! Woman!

Build it in Louisa, please. Upscale would be nice. Maybe a Pannera or a Starbucks.
    Oh, I forgot. No one wants to go to Louisa
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I don't have a dog in this fight, either, as I neither live in Middleburg nor do I have the money to patronize the resort. But I wonder, with the ever-expanding DC suburbs gobbling up Northern VA, did anyone really think Middleburg wouldn't change regardless of the inn? The recent market "correction" may slow things down a bit, but the McMansions are coming. They ate up a bunch of other small towns, why should Middleburg be immune? I'm honestly baffled by this idea that the inn is going to be the one thing that destroys the town.

Default Geez... How much money does one person need?

Doesn't Ms. Johnson have enough money as it is?

Let me guess, their big beautiful farm probably won't be affected by this, right?

I don't know much about Middleburg at all, being from the Richmond area, but I think the whole thing stinks.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
    the McMansions are coming. They ate up a bunch of other small towns, why should Middleburg be immune?
    This is why we have ZONING. To determine what is appropriate use of land for a given area. Just as you cannot build a pig farm in the middle of Manhattan, you cannot build condos in the middle of a horse pasture in rural Fauquier. Besides, you get into a slew of infrastructure issues.

I don't care one twit either way about Ms Johnson's inn, but I do resent the notion that McMansions are coming.

Variety is the spice of life, right? We need all kinds and types of people, housing, and businesses. There is no reason to homogenize an entire county into condos or mcmansions. A county needs it all: farms, rural businesses, SFH's/townhomes/condos, urban centers of business, parkland, rec centers, etc.
    If we don't use zoning as a way to protect and preserve these rural areas of a county that we deem valuable, then homogenization (developing subdivisions) form.

Just to make sure this remains horse related, I'm wondering how this is going to affect all the horse-related happenings in the area? Any ideas?
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Would you rather Sheila buy it and put some of it into a preservation trust and add a fairly limited number of homes to the area - OR - would you rather a commercial real estate developer buy it and build 1 mcmansion per 0.25 acres for another 2,000 homes in the area? It was bound to be developed once it went on the market (and it was inevitable that it would end up on the market). The practical questions were - how would it be developed? and by whom? - I do live in the area and I am relieved that this is the worst that is going to happen to that land. It could have been MUCH, MUCH WORSE, because there just aren't a ton of people out there who have the money to buy that kind of land, and then just hold onto it, paying endless property taxes all the while. Sad, but true.
    Treat Jockey for Spellbound and Smidgeon

Just because someone asks you for something doesn't mean you have to say yes.

Why can't these people in Loudoun County "Just Say NO"?

If I ran the world, a lot more people would be familer with that word.

What I am really tired of is the going back and asking for more. Get your project in order, and ask for it, straight up. Stop getting a reasonable project approved and then asking for more, more, more over time. All those extra's should be denied on principle.

Quote Originally Posted by see u at x View Post
    Just to make sure this remains horse related, I'm wondering how this is going to affect all the horse-related happenings in the area? Any ideas?
    I believe that the plans for the resort include riding trails and that equestrians are going to be able to continue to access/use the land in some fashion. Not sure about the details, but the equestrian community has been taken into consideration to some limited degree.
    Treat Jockey for Spellbound and Smidgeon

See u at X I kinda wondered the same thing. If you build a resort people will come. If they are non-horse people will they enjoy the horse scene, the pretty and not so pretty, in and around Middleburg?

All I can say is that "resort" development is my latest pet peeve. But at least she isn't planning a golf course. Come down to NC where they take the prettiest mountain land with waterfalls and trails....... perfect for a Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Course.

I hope to hell the banks stop lending to developers of this stuff.... but the reality is that their buyers and end users just keep getting wealthier and keep wanting quiet "undisturbed" quaint places to go visit. So it won't stop any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Build it in Louisa, please. Upscale would be nice. Oh, I forgot. No one wants to go to Louisa
    We looked at a really gorgeous farm in Louisa that we would have loved. But the TAXES were through the freaking roof - I mean just untenable. And it was made quite clear that the outrageous tax dollars would be insufficient to educate our children. I just didn't get that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
    I wonder, with the ever-expanding DC suburbs gobbling up Northern VA, did anyone really think Middleburg wouldn't change regardless of the inn? The recent market "correction" may slow things down a bit, but the McMansions are coming. They ate up a bunch of other small towns, why should Middleburg be immune? I'm honestly baffled by this idea that the inn is going to be the one thing that destroys the town.
    They ate up a bunch of small towns because they were allowed to. Fairfax City, for example, could be Middleburg-like today if anyone had bothered to practice some RESTRAINT. There even used to be a little saddlery that my Mom took me to when I first started riding a million years ago (Cardinal Hill Saddlery). I would think that we've learned our lesson and that's why Middleburg should be immune.
    If you must choose between two evils, choose the one that you've never tried before.

I live in KY, we have a lovely horse farm on a dead end road. Imagine my disgust when developers purchased the 100 acre horse farm at the entrance to our road and got a development approved. Not McMansions, oh no. Little cracker box, cookie cutter houses about 1500 sq. ft. Not 15,000, 1500. Won't that be lovely. When the woman with the farm nearest to the development (which thankfully is at a financial standstill, they do not have the Johnsons resourses) moaned and wrung her hands, and said "I can't believe this, what are we going to do????) Ok, I'm building and indoor and buying 10 ponies and teaching up downers at 20/hr and putting the money in my pocket, don't know what you're gonna do" "But I shouldn't have to look at all those HOUSES!!!" Here are your choices people, move somewhere else, or BUY UP ALL THE SURROUNDING PROPERTY SO YOU CAN CONTROL YOUR DESTINY!!! I love open space too, but when an enclave of the landed gentry think it should stay that way because it will offend their sensibility and change the area, well, welcome to the world that the rest of us live in. I don't like I-75 running along one side of my farm, but I enjoy driving down it to Lexington. You don't want anyone telling you what you may or may not do with your property, how presumptious of you to tell them they can't do what they chose. Does the esteemed Ms. Johnson NEED more $$$, I doubt anyone in that area truly NEEDS more, but welcome to America, where you are allowed to have excessive wealth and power if you can get it. Be glad it isn't and industrial plaza, a freeway or subsidized housing. Get over it soon and embrace the changes, because you absolutely can't keep it the way it is forever. Be glad that you get to enjoy an area most of us will only get to pass thru with longing sighs wondering how it would be to live in that area. I'd rather be noveau riche than have an old name, older bills, and no money. Perhaps if the community at large had been less, uh, critical of Ms. Johnson et al, she wouldnt be rubbing their noses in her big new pile of money now. Maybe she's carving out her own niche since the old guard wouldn't let her elbow her way to the table. Just a thought.

I would think that we've learned our lesson and that's why Middleburg should be immune.
    Best of luck with that. I've been to Middleburg. That area is so wonderful. I'm sure if I won the lottery, I'd be there. It is going to be hard, very hard to stop upscale development- anywhere that is desirable.

My favorite spot in the whole world is in the middle of nowhere Utah. It's one of those places that is so wonderful, still wild and remote and just fresh. No WalMarts or Starbucks for hours...and yes, literally 4 hours to a WalMart. Yet immense development pressure. And I LOVE these people that live there. They are so smart. They have dug in their heels and said no HOSPITAL in their county. They are willing to go without convenient medical access to keep development out.

You make something nice- and the retirees- the developers- they want what you built on their terms. Take away basic services? They can't sell the place. It seems the entire east coast is screwed. Middleburg, the NC mountains are so accessible and so user friendly. The irony is that what makes these places desirable are the very things that the development uproots and destroys.

2ndyrgal - good post!

I don't live in Middleburg (or VA for that matter), but I do LOVE to visit it. I may be beaten for saying this, but I think the Inn will be a positive addition for the area. I probably wouldn't be able to afford staying there, but I can see myself booking a massage there
    Snobbington Hunt clique - Whoopee Wagon Fieldmaster
    Bostonians, join us at- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Boston_Equestrian
    NYC Equestrians- http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/urbanequestrian/

What people should be really worried about is the interest that is currently going on around Gilbert's Corner. Aldie and Gilbert's Corner are in the developers "sight line" right now.

They are doing to be doing some significant road improvements in that area (4 traffic circles), that will lead to more and more stuff.

The Salamander Inn is the least of our worries out there.
    One of a Kind Studio
    Equestrian Art and Portraits
    Landscape Design
    Farm Layout and Design

What I found interesting is that the original plans were for a LOT less rooms, then it increased some, increased again, and I think increased the final time - to make it economically feasible. Why did it take all those revisions to determine that it could make money? I guess the water plant had something to do with unexpected expenses in the original plan. But, I believe that was a condition before the last couple changes. Maybe it also had to do with the fact that the plan has taken 5 years to be approved. More expensive or "in your face" - don't know - have only heard second and third hand as to what she might have been thinking.

I hope it works out for the other Middleburg business people and residents.
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E