The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Default Cunningham

For all you hunter breeding fans, have you met Cunningham? He was a standout in the warmup ring at Pebble Beach Classic. I was not in the hunter rings that much but he caught my eye enough so that I asked his rider about him.

Just thought I would bring his name up for those of you who are looking for new faces. I think he has had a very good year ranking high in national standings in first year green I believe, including the Oaks with championships and very good ribbons in the green conformation.

I am not sure how he finished up in the overall ribbons at Pebble but if his presence and manners were as good in the ring as he was in the warmup ring, I am thinking he stood out.

I believe this is one of his babies. http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/member.php?u=84956

Nice boy!

In a recent issue of Show Circuit Magazine, the one with Tom Selleck and Hannah on the cover, there is an inside fullpage congratulatory ad on Cunningham and there is quite a list of this seasons show accomplishments... perhaps he is one to watch for the hunter breeder folk.

I was really impressed with him at Devon. He really seems to have it all. Gorgeous looks, quiet temperment and alot of jump! I don't know why he didn't do better under the judges there. A tad base narrow...........????

He is an absolute stunning horse to look at. However, his jump isn't so impressive for a hunter, IMO. It is likely because he has too much scope ( as if that is a bad thing ). He just seems "dangly" to me. In addition, the ad in Show Circuit showed a so-so jump, and if I recall, he wasn't even square. In my mind, if this is the BEST picture this horse has taken.... well, again I just wasn't impressed in that area. But his presence is spectacular. I'd love to see him go around in the jumper ring!

Does he have a website?

Cunningham

I'm not a fan.

Cunningham is presently #1 in the country in the Green Confo. Hunters and #4 in the 2nd year greens. He also stands 8th in the Regular Conformation hunters after showing only 5 times in that division. He usually wins the model. If I'm not mistaken, Devon was one of very few times (possibly the only time) he was out of the ribbons in the model this year, almost certainly because he had a puffy ankle acquired during his 22 hour trip East. At his first shows back in California, he not only returned to the top of the model, but with a change in farrier, started winning the hacks-- against the likes of Westporte and Charade (who won the hack at Devon) no less. As for his jump.... you'll get a lot of arguments from a lot of top judges if you don't like it. I have stacks of pictures of that horse over fences (and video, of course), and the bad jumps are pretty scarce. It is true that he has an explosive, scopey jump and could easily do the jumpers, but why put him someplace where his conformation, movement, temperament, and form would not be rewarded as they are in the hunters? Isn't it nice, too, to see a totally legitimate 4" horse-- one who makes 4' look as easy as 3'6"? I've known Cunningham since he was 3 years old, and when he doesn't pin over fences, it's generally because of a head shake or swap off due to a momentary distraction (he swapped off a few times at Devon) or, of course, the occasional missed distance.

And regarding those distances: his stride is huge. Even at Devon, where they were set unusually long, he was perfectly capable of eating them.

If I remember correctly, spacely is "not a fan" of Cunniingham because his owner did not rush off to get him approved by any of the US based Euro-registries when she imported him, preferring to prove her horse at the shows doing the job for which she purchased him rather than risking such a valuable horse at a 100 DT. My understanding is that approvals based on Cunningham's show record are presently under consideration.

I have a wonderful 4 year old by Cunningham, and my mare is back in foal to him for 2008, having had a late abortion (twisted umbilicus) last year.

Needless to say, I'm glad you like him, too, Reg.

P.S. There should be some nice photos of Cunningham's jump in the COTH archives-- Molly Sorge posted a very nice one from Devon and there was another in the magazine from one of his many Oaks/Bleinheim championships.

P.P.S. Cunningham is, of course, qualified for indoors and will be coming East for the Capital Challenge, etc. so people at this end of the country can see him there.

P.P.S. Thinking more about the jump: videos/photos at 3'6" are sometimes lackluster. He's a tall, leggy, scopey horse who would sometimes canter over a 3'6" course as if it were a short stirrup/crossrails set up. I remember his owner/trainer commenting last year that he needed reminding to be brilliant over every fence-- even the little ones! The only photo I recall seeing in which he might be considered "dangling," is one in which he's being ridden by a child.
    Last edited by fish; Aug. 10, 2007 at 09:39 AM.

If I remember correctly, spacely is "not a fan" of Cunniingham because his owner did not rush off to get him approved by any of the US based Euro-registries when she imported him,
    Nice try, but not the reason I'm not a fan. I have seen enough to know he's not a horse I personally care for. I am sure that approvals would help him out though.

I saw him at Indio and at Thermal. I like him a lot! A few times he jumps a bit flat - but then, I always compare to my fav Sir Caletto -

he has a fantastic temperment - extremely nice stallion.

Quote Originally Posted by spacely View Post
    Nice try, but not the reason I'm not a fan. I have seen enough to know he's not a horse I personally care for. I am sure that approvals would help him out though.
    To each his/her own. In the meantime, I can assure you that with his record, Cunningham doesn't require the "help" of approvals to attract quality mares. (That was a joke, right??)

Are there many Cassini I sons in the USA?

Very few. I've only seen one other showing at Wellington and I believe Betty Oare had one showing the jumpers at HITS Ocala this past winter. Very fabulous looking youngster, still a stallion I think, maybe 6 or 7 yo.
    "We don't ride the clock. We ride the horse." Reiner Klimke.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/arnikaelf

Quote Originally Posted by omare View Post
    The best info. I have (admittedly not the greatest) would suggest that there are, at the most, 3: (1) If I remember correctly, a Cassini I was champion of a US 100 DT several years ago with the highest score up to that time. I have no idea what became of that horse after the test.
    (2) Cunningham, out of a Contender mare (and excellent stamm line), who was purchased by Mary Slouka and imported directly after his 3 year old Verband Approvals,
    (3) I believe I saw an announcement recently that another Cassini I son was recently imported.

I haven't made a point of looking, however, being very happy with Cunningham as the match I was seeking for my mare.

Quote Originally Posted by omare View Post
    Chino is a Cassini I son www.windsorfarm.net - I have seen him in person and even though his head is not the prettiest he can jump the MOON and has a fabulous, quiet temperment. His owner has also chosen to go the route of proving through sport and not through approvals.

Cascani at October Hill is also a Cassini I son. http://www.octoberhill.com/cascani.htm

Both these Cassini sons are showing in jumpers however NOT hunters.
    Last edited by EquineLVR; Aug. 10, 2007 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EquineLVR View Post
    Chino is a Cassini I son www.windsorfarms.net - I have seen him in person and even though his head is not the prettiest he can jump the MOON and has a fabulous, quiet temperment. His owner has also chosen to go the route of proving through sport and not through approvals.

Cascani at October Hill is also a Cassini I son. http://www.octoberhill.com/cascani.htm

Both these Cassini sons are showing in jumpers however NOT hunters.
    Thanks very much for the update, but I think the link for Chino is not right: I get a Windsor Farm featuring QH's???

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Thanks very much for the update, but I think the link for Chino is not right: I get a Windsor Farm featuring QH's???
    sorry Windsorfarm.net - NO (s) OOPS...

Whether you like him or not, you must admit he is bred out of the wazoo, with Cassini I (who btw had a very successful career as an international show jumper, see http://www.holsteinerverband.biz/cms...t=189&pageno=2) to Contender, who never did have a show career but proved his prepotency by his extra-ordinary offspring.

It is disputable whether Contender or Cassini I is the "most seeked after" sire in Germany (especially Holstein), but both score pretty high in being coveted beyond the quota they are allowed to cover.

I do not know Cunningham's owners or their politics and goals, but just looking at the horse on paper and his performance record he stands out to me. He may not sire the prettiest head or the snappies knees, but if you look at rideability, scope, conformation and the "big picture"... it's all there? ...again, I have not seen him in person, and once again, it depends on the MARE that you breed to him as to what you get!!!

Cassini I's full brother Cassini II is offered by frozen semen in US, I have seen him throw a pretty head and "modern type" and the semen, allegedly, is dynamite. Fox Fire Farm has the goods.

There is also an approved Cassini I son Cascani standing at stud in US, go to http://www.octoberhill.com/cascani.htm and I believe Contigo M is by Cassini I... where is he now???

Anna

Good question about Contigo M - he did the 100DT here in the USA in 2000 at Rancho Murieta.

FISH - might this be the Stallion you were thinking of as he did win the 100 DT that year.

When I googled Contigo M, I got a 2004 Holsteiner page that showed him activated for 2004 but he was also listed as serum positive for EVA as of 03/02. He was listed as vaccinated but not until 2003 so I'm not sure if he is truly EVA positive or just seroconverted due to a prior vaccination.

It did have owner/handler info listed from then.
    "We don't ride the clock. We ride the horse." Reiner Klimke.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/arnikaelf