The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

these are so funny!

My husband will not let me drive his car (anywhere) because he is afraid it will start to smell like a horse

My Springer Spaniel does the prettiest shoulder-ins, half passes and has some great tempi changes as well!

I also am in the clucking camp. The sad thing is my husband also clucks to other animals and people.

I growl at people when they get in my space..

I also make up freestyles for every song that comes on the radio.. (I have a great idea for a christmastime pas de deux set to Trans Siberian Orchestra)

Also in the camp of getting upset about golf courses (in fact I have a cross country course planned out for one nearby), and counting strides from telephone pole to telephone pole. I am also guilty about pointing out horses whenever I see one except I yell "neigh-neighs".. my family now does this as well to make sure I don't miss them!

Funny story: a horsey friend and I were driving to someones house. There was a really nice horse farm opposite the turn we were supposed to take. We missed the turn once because we were so intent on looking at the farm. We then turned around and missed the turn again because we were looking at that farm. We then proceeded to miss the turn a THIRD time.. because we were still enamored with the farm (it was for sale, in our defense!!)

On Saturday our outdoor arena was dragged.. I then promptly proceded to walk in (to check the footing) but also to comment on how pretty it looked to one of the other trainers.. directly after me 4 other people walked in to the arena and all commented on how pretty it was! I don't know any other group of people that think dirt is so pretty...!!

I often tell people/dogs/misbehaving critters "NO!" in that horse voice.

When I'm in the car I cluck to get other drivers moving. I also use my seat to get my car to go faster.

When my kids are arguing/snarling/fighting I say "LEAVE IT!" to them as if I'm rating a foxhound.

In very cold, snowy weather I wear my Vogels and warm fuzzy riding tights to the office underneath a fairly longish skirt. No one sees, and I am warm.

I am VERY ashamed to admit this one:

I've actually started stall weaving! (minus the stall)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also do brief half-passes to get around things that are blocking my path.

I have composed kurs and acted them out on foot.

I did once have a brain fart and almost wondered "Did I deworm my car?". Oops, cars CAN't get worms!

I have walked into a store with not very clean clothing (barn work).
    I'm a furry and proud of it!

FOUNDER OF: Closet Canterers Clique and (VERY PROUD) Closet Canterer

oh my gosh! i never thought about all this bc i have been clucking, hating the wasted space used for golf courses (and cemetaries), having extreme barn-envy etc...
    however, the most embarrassing moment was the other day when i ran into a very fancy store to pick up a suit for my husband. i was dressed appropriately, no dirt underneath my fingernails, nothing that would peg me as a horse person. i reached in my purse to get the claim ticket and a credit card. in the search, i pulled out clipper blades, a hoof pick, mrs. pasture's cookies(3) and a (please do not ask me how this was in there) a bot knife. the prissy guy waiting for the credit card was aghast but there was a woman working as well and she immediately asked "what kind of horse do you have?"

Quote Originally Posted by 3horsemom View Post
    I pulled out clipper blades, a hoof pick, mrs. pasture's cookies(3) and a (please do not ask me how this was in there) a bot knife.
    That is my worst nightmare: pulling out something like a hoof pick or a bot knife at a store. They'll think I'm trying to rob the place or something!

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    When I'm driving my truck and trailer, if I see another horse rig coming towards me, the other driver and I often exchange the old casual wave that means, "Hey, fellow horseperson, how's it going?"

Out of habit, I often give the wave when I'm driving just my car. The other driver rarely waves back.
    lol, that is because you live in NY...if you live in the south even people in regular cars wave back!

i can not watch horse racing on tv without leaning forward and rocking slightly...

when I see big open fields I think 'what a nice place to make a cross country course.'

We were trying to figure out what city department to call about a problem with our storm drain. We couldn't find anything in the phone book called "Roads and Tracks"... realized we probably needed "Streets and Highways!"

I cluck to my family, friends, dogs, cats, coworkers, truck, etc. I also say "whoa" to the truck (while applying the brakes).

I used to scream "PONY" upon seeing one, but now I don't have to since my two year old daughter does it. I have no idea where she learned that one...

I handle my dog's leashes like the lunge line. Years ago when I lived in a townhouse I also taught my black lab to lunge. I was living in a townhouse at the time with a small yard, and he needed exercise. Since there were leash laws in the city, I lunged him at the park. Hey, it worked, but boy did we get some looks.

I wear my warm, fuzzy winter riding pants under my jeans in cold weather even if I'm not riding or going anywhere near the barn. They're better than thermals, and if I have to go somewhere warm like a store I don't get all sweaty in them.

I mentally design cross-country courses on golf courses. I also look at streams running alongside the road and note the places that would be great for a water jump.

I once left a hoof pick in my purse, then had to explain to the security guard at work what it was after my purse went through the x-ray machine at the building entrance. Yes, I was allowed to bring it in.

Quote Originally Posted by dressagetraks View Post
    I have an awful time with substituting "stables" for "staples." I type medical transcription, and I don't know how many times the first rendition of an operative report has been, "The incision was closed with a line of stables." I really have to watch for it. I also type all the time, "This patient presents with a chief complaint of being horse for the past several days."
    I have a similiar issue in Human Resources. If I had a dollar for everytime I typed MANGER instead of "manager," I could buy another horse.

I'll also two-point in the car when driving over railroad tracks or big bumps.

We're all totally hopeless. AIN'T IT GREAT!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I can't drive past a hay field, without wishing I could get some of it for my horse.

Yesterday, I was driving down I-275 and got behind a truck loaded with gorgeous hay. I got the urge to follow them to see if I could buy a couple of bales or just ask where they bought it. I didn't, but it certainly was tempting.

I used to confuse my difficult son, with my difficult horse. I would call Emerson, "Izzy", when he was giving me trouble. Needless to say, Emerson did not appreciate the comparison. Auburn

Hoarding paper grocery bags. For poulticing. Although I haven't had to poultice a horse for two years.

And saying "QUIT" in that growly voice when my son is about to make, as we say, "a wrong choice" .
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I do the imaginary cross-country course planning, too, as I drive through pretty rolling country. Embarrassing, because I haven't jumped competitively in years and probably don't have the guts nowadays to jump the stuff I make up in my head!

How 'bout when you try snowboarding for the first time and you can't stop comparing it to riding. 'Well, toe side isn't logical, because you're shifting too much weight onto your forehand.' Uh, just kidding?

I cluck to dogs and cats ALL THE TIME! And it works fairly well, at least for the barn dogs.

I've found myself tapping the trunk of a car when I walk behind it like I do to unfamiliar horses

I also lean to the outside when going around a tight curve in the car...glad I'm not alone!!

Default Names for your children

I have fantasized about naming my kids "Dan Patch" (m) or "Misty/Stormy" (f), but fortunately, my sanity overrode my horse addiction.

Wait, is being named "Stormy" a bad thing?

I "turn out" my dogs in the backyard.

I, too, cannot stand fenced off empty pastures. What a freakin' waste!

I got really sick around midterms one term, and one of my profs asked if I was OK, did I need to go to the Student Health Centre? I replied "Oh, I'm fine, thanks. I just have a cold, but no fever, my temp's only 102.5" she was horrified and I exclaimed "well, that's only a degree above normal!" and she yelled back (whilst swiping my test booklet and shooing me out the door) "FOR A HORSE!!"
    It's hard to lead a cavalry if you look funny on a horse A.E. Stevenson
    The Prince 3/21/90-3/29/2003
    Secret Sauce (AKA Saucy) 01/01/86-? The Most Excellent OTTB In The Entire Universe.

I had to take a physical for a job and told someone I didnt think I would vet. I also brace for spooky things while driving. I cluck at everything to move. If a car infront of me is moving slowly, I often yell at them to have more pace