The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Hay in every vehicle I own, even the trans am. Who knew sports cars can haul hay?

I've also gotten over any shyness about having to pee in places other than a formal bathroom.

I now suffer from farm envy.

All of my dogs knew what whoa was and had a good stop on them.
    Looked at the movement of my dogs to see which would be the nicest ride
    half halt dogs on leads if they pull too much

If a fly lands on my leg, I stomp--haven't mastered twitching any skin on my body to remove them yet.

I look for gremlins sometimes

I have been known to spook and plant when frightened

I, too, blurt out horses! when I see them

I scan for tackshops in new areas

My head turns for horse trailers on the road

Every grassy field or plot is a potential pasture

I love searching horsie real estate

See potential jumps in appropriately set up objects/fallen trees

I two point on my bike over bumps

I am "spayed"

I "ride" in my truck, too

I need psychiatric help, don't I????
    Proud to have two Takaupa Gold line POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

When I'm driving my truck and trailer, if I see another horse rig coming towards me, the other driver and I often exchange the old casual wave that means, "Hey, fellow horseperson, how's it going?"

Out of habit, I often give the wave when I'm driving just my car. The other driver rarely waves back.

Another "cluck"-er here, it has rubbed off onto my non-horsey SO and we both tell the dogs to "Git!" also.

Hubby plies me into taking motorcycle jaunts with him by taking the most horsey routes so I can oogle at the barns and fences....

I never even realized I was so bad at "pony-spotting" until we were watching tv with some buddies of his and horses came on the screen, and I said "oooh, ponies!", and they all busted out laughing. Guilty!

I do the same thing with horse trailers.

- I always slow for nice 'potential' horse properties
    - All of our friends (mostly non-horsey) yell 'Oh, Oh, Oh' in the car if they spot a horse, a trailer, a nice horse facility, etc.
    - I have caught my use-to-be-non-horsey husband clucking to our house cat
    - Two years ago we were at the in-laws house and I was waiting to see if I won a bid for a stallion breeding. We had everyone staring at the laptop screen counting down to see if we won. This was after we explained to 30+ people that 'yes indeed we are bidding on horse semen'.

Oh another funny he said a few years back. I was riding the WP gelding that I bought primarily for him and I asked for a jog. Husband yells, "Honey, he isn't tracking up at all you have to push him forward and LOTS!".

Haha, he has learned sooooo much since we have bought our own horse property. I love hearing him telling our visitors about the horses...even better when he corrects them.

I use my hand as a sweat scraper when I finish showering.

I constantly critique my dogs' way of going.

I pick up the dogs' feet the same way I pick up horse feet.

I have decided that I'll do better on a diet of "small amounts, often."

Oh, okay, I had a dog LOVED to run, could run the bejezus off of anything, (one time had to leave him behind at the barn, couldn't find him, was driving down the road, looked down beside me, the dog was pacing the car, looking up at me in the drivers window, tongue aloll, as if to say, "gonna stop or should I just jump through the window?". The farrier was following me, I could see him in my rear view mirror, laughing over the steering wheel, and I saw I was going 32 mph, before I stopped and let the dog in. Leaped over my lap, into His seat, happy as a clam looking out the front windshield, as if to say "'kay, I'm in, Go!" that's how fast he was) and used to run around the half acre pond seemingly just for the sheer joy of it, as though it were a ractrack. He was a flat coated retriever, but durn, he was speedy. So the horsie part is, I would watch him do the oval a couple of times, watching for lead changes on the corners and straightaways. Showed his lead changes to a few friends. Received sad shakes of their heads in return. Oh, well. I thought it was very interesting.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

This thread is great!!!
    When riding on the back of my husbands motorcycle I leg yield him over to avoid cars etc.....ha ha ha - he thinks I am nuts!

Ok - I have my own:

(1) I always look at open land and think about what would look good there, i.e. stables, riding rings, pastures, etc. A poster already said this in good detail.

(2) When I'm walking into work or along sidewalks I count strides between cracks in the ground and try to adjust my stride in between, plus I think about what lead I am taking off on and landing on. Sometimes don't realize that I'm doing this as I walk in to work, and then I wonder if anybody noticed my odd way of walking! I will adjust my stride to make the cracks a 2 stride, then lengthen for a 1 stride, then back to a 2 stride, and so on!

(3) Of course I cluck to my dogs, and they listen!

(4) To me EVERYTHING is a jump! Hedge rows, ditches, fences.

(5) I am always on the lookout for coops in a fence line and love it when I see one!

(6) On a previous similiar thread somebody mentioned that they hold the steering wheel like they hold reins, and I often find myself doing that now.

(7) I find treats in the washer EVERY SINGLE TIME that I do a load of clothes, even though I am sure that I checked every pocket before hand!

I started holding my purse straps like a double bridle. Also always look at golf courses and think what a waste.

In addition to most of what everyone else has already acknowledged doing, I find that I toss my head...ya know, that little gesture that it seems many, if not most, Arabs do...?
    Tabatha

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

Now I pass around and show cute pics of my horses as much as I do cute pics of my kids...

Once I refered to something silly "my boy Curtis" did.. and the person looked at me funny and said " I thought you had 2 girls??" I had to tell her I was referring to my horse..

Someone in my office was having a minor surg done and I said "I'll be jingling for you!!" I got the strangest look

Same thing with picking out saddle pads and blankets.. to compliment his colors.. people think I am talking about shopping for my other human children..
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

My wife will cluck at me in a store... then I give her "the look" to which she replies, "Walk On"

She likes to play, "Could we jump it" while driving down the road. Sees a nice fence and approach, "we could jump that"

We refer to the three horses as "the kids" or "the boys" and sign their names appropriately to holiday cards and gifts.

Also same as others... assorted horse stuff scattered around the house and cars. I think right now there is a pair of stirrups and no-bows sitting by the front door.

Have more pics of our horses than most people have of their kids.
    www.foxwoodfarms.biz
    "There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
    -Member of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/wlrottge

1. I accidentally call the horses "people"
    They have arms and legs.

2. I am irritated that the dogs do not care about leads and often cross canter

3. I have a secret 'airy' deathtrap stamp that I carry in my 'airy' purse. I whip it out when I see a rig that is a death trap on wheels and stamp it, 'certified death trap'.

4. I day dream A LOT. Many times over dressage tests or very large scary XC fences. Sometimes out of no where I will shoot out a big CLUCK to get my horse moving through a corner...or over a corner.
    No one else knows what is going through my head. It's embarrassing.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    2. I am irritated that the dogs do not care about leads and often cross canter
    Oh, yes, the canine cross canter. This bothers me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Catersun View Post
    I tell my husband and daughter to walk-on. They either do or they give me really dirty looks. I also do the pointy finger thing to move people over like I do with my horse when she is standing... drives my husband nuts cause it works... really well.
    Ha! I do the pointy-finger all the time to Mr. CC, who diligently moves in the appropriate direction; he finally caught on when he watched me do it to my gelding to reverse him on the longe. It DOES work well!

I referred to a pregnant non-horsey coworker's puffy ankles as "You look a bit stocked up" and was met with the "huh?" look I deserved.

I watch dogs' movement at the dog park, duly noting suspension.

I look at everyday objects, or other sports' catalogs, looking to see what I can adapt to horse-use. (e.g. mountaineering carabiners make great water bucket holders!)

Quote Originally Posted by GrabNMane View Post
    This thread is great!!!
    When riding on the back of my husbands motorcycle I leg yield him over to avoid cars etc.....ha ha ha - he thinks I am nuts!
    I also use my "seat" a little too much sometimes and get a pinch for doing so!

Did you know half-halting on the up/down transitions on a motorcycle also uses the same muscles!

One more for the rider/biker: My motorcycle boots are ex-paddock boots, Mountain Horse brand. But no, I wouldn't be caught dead in my biker chaps at any horsey function!

I'm getting married and couldn't figure out why I couldn't find any wedding dress boutiques when I did an internet search for "Bridle Salons".

Quote Originally Posted by Lori View Post
    half halt dogs on leads if they pull too much

If a fly lands on my leg, I stomp

I two point on my bike over bumps
    I do all these!

When teaching my puppy to walk on a leash in puppy class, the teacher asked me, "Are you a rider?". When I asked her why she asked that, she said it was the way I was handling the leash, half-halting the dog to keep her from getting in front of me. I never even realized it, it was totally automatic!

And not only do I two-point on my bike, I post too!

I am always on the scout for good hand grazing spots. Always.