The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Yep, I cluck to my daughter and dogs, and say Whoa and ho if they are out of my reach. Funny thing is that our oldest dog responds to whoa.

There are hundreds of peppermint wrappers in my pockets at the end of the day....most of which end up in the washing machine because I always forget to check my pockets before throwing stuff in the wash!

I too have a random halter and leadrope in my truck...which is always a complete muddy mess

And the other day I was digging through my purse and found not only ear puffies but black leather show glothes haha.
    ....Leo\'s Mom.....

And after a couple of years of riding greenies, if I see something 'scary' along the side of the road I've often braced myself waiting for my car to spook.
    LOL, that is too funny. I've done that.

I have Barn Neck. I can't drive past a barn without craning my neck around to see all of it, imagining riding around near the building, how many stalls it could provide, how it would feel to move horses around, where I would build an outside course, all within seconds of passing a property by, in a car, even spewing out some of the above to anyone who will listen "ooh, look at that bank barn, I love bank barns, that one is in really good shape..." by then we have passed by and everyone in the car is rolling their eyes. Or, as my boyfriend grew up on his grandfather's farm, slowing down to look too.

I pick up my boyfriend's feet standing up like a horse to give them a massage. He's getting used to it. The other day he just lifted his foot back and stood patiently waiting for me to get to his foot with the linement we use for aches and pains. Guess you had to be there. Maybe its good you weren't...

Edited to add: I don't think I cluck to get him to pick up his foot, but maybe I should one day. He'd probably say "Did you just cluck at me?"
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

I keep trying to make my riding lawn mower do leg yields to get into those tight spots.

The longe whip draped across the passenger's seat elicits some really wierd stares.

My horsey friends rib me about the hoof pick resting next to the tire gauge in the truck's center console. Others pick it up and ask what kind of screwdriver it is.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Talking good thread...

Another clucker here..... can't help myself.

I use the word 'lame' towards myself when I'm gimpy

And, I hold my dogs leash like a lunge line or rein.

A friend of mine lives up the street from my parents... the other day he said that he can always smell the horses when he drives past their house. I thought to myself, what's wrong with that? I forget that most people don't like the smell of horses...

This might be TMI, but I had a friend in college who liked to go to costume parties dressed as a dominatrix. and when she found out I'm a horsey person, she asked me to get her a leather crop the next time I went to the tack shop, because they're really expensive at the stores she went to! I didn't ask what kind of stores they were... I really didn't want to know!
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

I count strides. Everywhere, all the time: between phone poles while I'm driving, up to curbs when I'm walking, between sidewalk cracks, etc.

I also try to get in 2-point when going over railroad tracks.

heh heh... maybe I need to get out more. Of the barn, I mean
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

After years of living with a very looky, and sometimes spooky pony, my girls and I always wink at one another when we walk past things that we know would do him in!

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this yet because I know there are plenty of you out there that do the same thing.......right?

....carefully watch the dog or cat as they "trot" by making sure they are not "off".

I've even done that while at work (no horses in sight), walking on a break with co-workers/friends, stopped, stared at someone walking their dog by...then commented "he's off on his right hind."

loveseventing Guest

I tell my pets to whoa and ho too!

I also look at the fences or shrubs that go around other peoples' yards to see if there is a good approach to jump them...

I have a habit of keeping a hand on DH's backside as I pass behind him, so he "knows I'm there."

I warn people when I see a plastic bag blowing around. This puzzles the non-horsey.

Those one- or three-sided fences drive me nuts, too!

Oftentimes if I'm a passenger in a car, I count strides to things (like telephone poles) and try not to chip in or leave long. Unfortunately, if I'm not driving, I can't adjust my stride.

Thumbs up My husband says

I know the directions to places by the farms with horses I pass, .. Go right at the place with the lone paint. Bla Bla Bla!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

- I do the driving a car = riding thing
    - I count strides between objects (and even jump them- it's a great little butt work out)
    - I ALWAYS look when I see fences
    - Probably the most annoying thing, to my friends, is that whenever I see a trailer/barn/rider/anything equestrian, I blurt out "pony!" in a rather high child-like voice. I'll do it in the middle of a conversation about anything, too! I just pick right back up where I left off. Sometimes I don't even know I did it until I finally catch on to my friend's amused/confused expression... 5 minutes later. I really can't help it, it's rather compulsive.

Default so funny...

I think this is my favorite thread so far!
    Okay, I count strides between telephone poles. I tell my husband when his dogs are off and he thinks I am crazy because he thinks it is no big deal and I am like "are you going to go check on the dog or not?". I also imagine jumping big fences that I see in people's yards. I always cluck at my son to get him moving, he is 4 and is so slow sometimes. When nobody is looking I canter around my yard jumping ditches and sticks like I use to do when I was 8 years old.
    CRAYOLA Posse: PLUM

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    I have a habit of keeping a hand on DH's backside as I pass behind him, so he "knows I'm there."
    ROFL!!!

When the barn husbands get out of line.....I say they "Need more curb"

Talking

I'm a clucker too and I'm the same way when I see vacant land, I ask myself why aren't horses grazing on that that wonderful grass its going to waste. I drive by a cross country course on my to work in the morning and count the stides between each jump. I used to do jumping but haven't in 20 years. When I watch a horse show I find my feet moving with each stride of the horse. I smashed my toe a couple weeks ago so I'm laid up and lame right now. LOL
    Moving on doesn't mean you forget about things. It just means you have to accept what happended and continue living.

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

I also look at land and dream about owning said land.. and where I would put a barn.. indoor etc.. ahhhh fantasies....
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

I found myself clucking at the jetski yeterday...

I walk my dogs on lead ropes instead of leashes. Easier on the hands and much better clasps.