The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Golf courses. Driving by a golf course thinking what a WASTE of all that gorgeous galloping room.
    AMEN to that one..everytime I see a golf course I want to either fence it or ride on it or both..what a waste..

I ask women who are pregnant "when are you foaling", I've asked husbands of pregnant women - are you on marestare yet?

I generally can be counted on to have a lead rope, baling twine, a few treats/cookies, a small bucket, and a hoof pick in my truck. I DID clean it out honest..those things just migrate back - like homing pigeons.

If you open my washer and there are horse clothes in it, do not be surprised. Don't be surprised if there is a bridle laying on the kitchen table in pieces being cleaned while I am cooking dinner.

Don't be surprised that I tell you, when you have a stomache, "I hope you don't colic and maybe you should walk around a bit."

I have used horse medicine on myself for cuts, bruises and I think Sore No More should be a staple item in every person's bathroom.

I constantly look at homes as "horse potential properties".

I don't jump..but I want to and used to many ages ago bareback - I always look at logs as jump material. I walk looking at the ground alot and will pick up errant nails, horseshoes, etc. that I find. I look at acreage in terms of how much hay I could get off the fields.

it's hopeless..

"Always try to pass left-to-left when walking and another person is walking towards me."

I do this all the time and didn't even think of it until now...I mean its to the point that I get really nervouse if someone sneaks up on my right, and want to reprimand them...and never knew why...

As for the medical stuff, in college I was captain of the team, and actually had to go into the student health department and vouch for a new freshman on the team... because they were concerned she was raped from the bruises on her thighs...they didn't believe her that it was just a long week of no stirrups to blame...
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

I cluck to and use body language to move my students around. I lean forward going uphill in a car. And while teaching I tap my pen on my leg like a crop.

I recently found out someone I know is pregnant. I told my husband she was in foal. I didn't mean to say it, I just did.

Too many years sequestered away with lots of horses have made me one big quirk. They don't let me out in public very often.

I almost forgot this one...I assume that my dog has the same parts as my horse... he was, well, lame a few weeks ago, and he has a known, I guess it's his knee? problem? But I called the vet and without hesitating when they asked me what he needed to be seen for, I said "He's lame, and it looks like his left stifle" The other end of the phone was silent...the secretary grabbed the vet (who thankfully used to be a large animal vet, so she "gets" me) and I could hear her say "this girl said her dog needs to be seen b/c he's lame and it's his rleft stifle???" The vet grabbed the phone and said " HI Nicole, how are you?"

I'm that transparent I suppose...
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

I too, often find myself clucking or kissnig to the dogs... my bf, and the computer when it decides to be dumb that day.
    I often refer to my dogs running around as : a nice floaty trot, nice uphill canter,and my fav! " Did you see that canter pirouette (sp)"

I have a whistle for my dog which the verbal command is hold. often when riding my gelding i blurt out hold, or whistle that particular command as if it we my pup. When my dog seems to be to into working I blurt out whoa. but still the funniestis when I command leave and ho, hold and whoa to my BF.
    He actaully listens. So all of my things are "hold " to stop, hold,stay "whoa to imeadiately stop
    and long drawn out whistle to come. Which confuses my dogs, because it sounds like another command I give my horses. i could whistle like that anywhere and my dog would take off looking for her zook!

I have more pictures of my horses in my office than my whole family!!

If my leg or foot is hurting I always tell my husband that I am lame because I have a bad hoof and he usually responds that he is going to put me down...................

Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    I almost forgot this one...I assume that my dog has the same parts as my horse... he was, well, lame a few weeks ago, and he has a known, I guess it's his knee? problem? But I called the vet and without hesitating when they asked me what he needed to be seen for, I said "He's lame, and it looks like his left stifle" The other end of the phone was silent...the secretary grabbed the vet (who thankfully used to be a large animal vet, so she "gets" me) and I could hear her say "this girl said her dog needs to be seen b/c he's lame and it's his rleft stifle???" The vet grabbed the phone and said " HI Nicole, how are you?"

I'm that transparent I suppose...
    That secretary is an idiot. The PROPER term is the STIFLE JOINT in the dog. (well, actually, genual if you're old school...but I digress) It doesn't mean that you're dumb

Pretty much lifted right out of Evans' "Miller's Anatomy of the Dog" but found on Wiki

The stifle joint is a complex joint in the hindlimbs of quadruped mammals such as the sheep, horse or dog. It is the equivalent joint to the human knee.

The stifle joint is comprised of the femorotibial articulation (femoral and tibial condyles), femoropatellar articulation (femoral trochlea and the patella), and the proximal tibiofibular articulation.

The joint is stabilized by the cranial cruciate ligament, the caudal cruciate ligament, and paired collateral ligaments.
    It's hard to lead a cavalry if you look funny on a horse A.E. Stevenson
    The Prince 3/21/90-3/29/2003
    Secret Sauce (AKA Saucy) 01/01/86-? The Most Excellent OTTB In The Entire Universe.

Almost forgot, I told my mom that my husband "broke his left front leg" once.
    It's hard to lead a cavalry if you look funny on a horse A.E. Stevenson
    The Prince 3/21/90-3/29/2003
    Secret Sauce (AKA Saucy) 01/01/86-? The Most Excellent OTTB In The Entire Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Across Sicily View Post
    I cluck to people to move them over.
    Aigh! I do this, too!

I have also caught myself half-halting the steering wheel of the car in conjunction with applying the brakes or correcting for sudden rough spots or obstacles!

Since my mom has ridden my entire life and I was practically raised in a mud puddle in a dressage ring, playing with my Briers, horses have never been a big deal to me.
    When I was around 8 and went to a camp at some park that was also a horse venue, the other girls would go crazy and scream and practically pee themselves when we saw someone riding. Once we saw a horse in the indoor and everyone got excited while I picked my nails and said, "Ugh, he has a U-neck!"
    Then later that afternoon, a few girls were sitting on a picnic table pretending to ride, and I told them they were holding the imaginary reins wrong.
    No one liked me much at that camp.

Quote Originally Posted by The Prince View Post
    LOL!!!!
    That sounds like something I would say!
    Although, if he were a centuar, that would make sense.

Today I took my little wacko doggy into Petsmart, which she loves. As she was perusing under the lowest shelf to the floor in the bagged dogfood aisle looking for errant pieces of kibble, I noticed a very well dressed woman (who had perfectly manicured nails and not a strand of hair out of place) looking at us strangely.
    My dog is very clown-like, but was behaving herself for the most part and I was dressed acceptably and didn't have any mud on me today, at all. I couldn't figure out what her problem was. Then I realized that I had been clucking loudly to the beast to move on. *sigh*.

Maybe there should be a "Clucker's Anonymous" for us obviously hopeless cases.

when someone else is driving I count the strides in between driveways or fencing...I count and jump the fence or the driveway....it is sooo fun!!!!

My pictures - all very neatly organized and in albums - are put chronologically in two sets of photo albums, Horses and Everything Else. Over my lifetime, Horses are half an album ahead of Everything Else. If I ever split out cats into their own category, which I've considered, Everything Else (including people) would probably fall to third place.

cocktail949 Guest

i named my dog: Pony.

I have a fly ribbon hanging from the rear view mirror in my car. (well, my car has flies in it in the summer!)

I gently push on my hubby's side when I want him to move over.

deep in the CT wilds near...the 200yr flood zone

A couple of months back I was coming down a rolling hill in a snow storm to a 4way stop. I touched the brakes and the pedal went to the floor. Instead of tensing up, I relaxed, sitting deeper in my seat, breathing calm. The intersection was fortunately empty and I cruised through it, managing to stop the car without incident on the other side. It was only later that I realized my calm, relaxed, deep seat is what I do on my OTTB when he gets quick!
    This it be all wot we want in life, wenn peoples dey loff us. ~ Willem

Quote Originally Posted by The Prince View Post
    It actually took me a few seconds to realize why this was strange.

When I get angry, I can feel my phantom ears pinning on my head. Must be spending too much time with the cranky old mare.

I cluck and say whoa to my dog as the circumstances warrant. If someone I know walks funny, I tell them, gee you look off today, are you lame? My non-horsey friends took a minute to get used to that!

And I put him in cross ties to bathe him and to clip his nails (picking up his feet like a horse). He's a very big dog!
    Last edited by quiet5; Mar. 28, 2008 at 10:15 AM. Reason: added other stuff