The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default Did you hear this?? Capone stolen

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/256/story/415627.html

From the Bellingham Herald:

NEWS UPDATE May, 20, 2008
    PUBLIC SAFETY

Show stallion worth millions stolen from Custer farm

ISABELLE DILLS

UPDATED AT 2:21 P.M.
    CUSTER — A dark brown and black show jumping stallion worth several million dollars was apparently stolen from its barn on Birch Bay-Lynden Road.
    The 12-year-old horse, named Capone I, was reported missing by Exitpoint Stallions farm staff who found the front gate of the farm unlatched Friday afternoon, said Douglas Spink, Capone's manager and trainer since the horse was 3 years old.
    The sliding door of the barn was drawn back, and Capone's stall had been unlatched. His halter and lead rope were missing, Spink said.
    Three other stallions and three protection dogs were left in the barn, located at 3561 Birch Bay-Lynden Road. No indication of tire tracks were left in the farm's driveway.
    Spink believes whoever took Capone must have loaded him into a horse trailer on Birch Bay-Lynden Road. The theft is believed to have happened between 12:30 and 3:30 p.m.
    Neither Spink nor Exitpoint Stallions, the investor syndicate that has owned Capone since 1999, has received a ransom note. Ransom seems to be the only viable reason someone would take Capone, Spink said. Because of Capone's level of fame, it would be almost impossible to use him in shows or in black-market breeding, he said.
    Capone had been at the barn in Custer since October to rest and recover from the horse show circuit, Spinks said. Before he went missing, Capone had been in training for summer competition.
    Capone has top placements in many of North America's competitive show jumping classes and has amassed career winnings of more than $250,000, according to Spink.
    "We spent the last nine years of our life together," Spink said. "He was my buddy long before he became valuable, and he will be my buddy long after. He means more to me than anything."
    Capone has three white "socks," a long, thin white blaze on his forehead and a black mane and tail.
    He also has a noticeable brand on his back left flank that includes the Holsteiner Verband "H" logo and his registration number.

Reach Isabelle Dills at isabelle.dills@bellinghamherald.com or call 715-2220.

Hope they find him soon. Did you post this on the jumping/eventing forums?

OMG_ capone- poor guy- he's gone through SO much in this 'soap opera" life his 'owner' has had.. . .
    Qualified Saddle Fitter with the S.M.S.
    www.ravenwoodaussies.com

Oh boy...I smell a trainwreck on the horizon...do a search for his owner's name in the SHB forum

Oh No!!!!! Did Capone have internet access in his stall??? Maybe another sexual predator lured him away!!!!!!

...I thought Douglas Spink was still in JAIL. When did he get out, and why in the hell did they let him back around stallions?

was he insured?

ooh, perfect time to hawk these:

http://www.cafepress.com/thatsnotgood.171639785
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Question

Who is Douglas Spinks-what is his alleged history?
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

"We spent the last nine years of our life together," Spink said.

Except for that brief stint in PRISON....

As for the man's history - do a search for his name... heck GOOGLE his name and MORE than enough pops up. Prison was the least of his worries - how many pounds of cocaine was it????
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Yikes, if what I'm reading on Google is corect, this is scary. Maybe it's a drug-related kidnapping. Maybe the drug dealers Spinks ratted on are angry. I hope poor Capone doesn't end up like the horse in the Godfather.

Unhappy

Is this the same Doug Spinks that us dog people won't allow near dogs anymore? If so, grats to someone for not doing a background check before hiring this guy to guard a staillion...

Merrygoround...Spinks is a well known and self avowed [edit--google for yourself if "interested"]. He also went to jail for a large amount of cocaine.

Capone probably ran away. Run Capone....run!
    Last edited by Moderator 1; May. 21, 2008 at 09:59 AM.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Oh GAWD - the very name of that man makes me want to vomit. I hope the horse is far far away from that pathetic excuse for a human being.

Why is it he's permitted to be within 50 feet of ANY animal? It's like allowing a sexual predator to be in charge of a daycare facility.

I never condone wrongdoing, HOWEVER, today I make an exception and I applaud those who "Relocated" Capone. They did that stallion a favor.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Why do I have a feeling there's more to this story, that we don't know about???

Not sure I want to know more badly enough to have him show up in my Google history.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Holy Mackeral! My eyes popped when I read the responses. I had no idea the 'owner' is like that. Yuck! I hope the horse is far, far away.

Unless this ends up about insurance money, and not people "freeing" the stallion. Either way, I hope this turns out well for any animals involved.

PS - do you think they were trully "protection dogs" or three muts that hang around the barn? Not that barn muts aren't invaluable, but if it was someone they know that took the horse they probably wouldn't fuss to much.
    ~ Kimberlee
    www.SpunkyDiva.com