The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default anyone try renegade hoof boots yet?

my trimmer just ordered a pair for us and i can't wait to try them.
    curious if anyone here has tried them and if so, what are the impressions? any rubs? issues?
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

How is it working with your Renegade boots? I am looking for a set of four hoof boots and Renegades were recommended. The only problem is I can't find out where to buy them!

How much did they cost? Are you pleased with them? Have you tried other kinds of boots like Easyboot Epics?

Renegades aren't manufacturered for the general public at this time. Darnit!

Default i didn't get mine yet.

lauren! got a pair but they were too small for her horse. not sure if she exchanged them.
    she said they looked good.
    you have to buy them through a hoof care practitioner and they're scarce. my trimmer put the order in back in mid summer and she still doesn't have them.
    pricey too. i think lauren! paid like $180!

I can't wait to see what you think of the Renegades.

Mine are still working great for me. Fortunately the guy who makes them lives in the same state I do, so I have an "in"! I even met him at my last ride and have his phone number now I really, really like them. I did a 25 with my mare and have also been using them with my gelding. No rubs, super easy to put on, and have not fallen off, ever. I have to say they are much easier and nicer than easy boots. I have not been able to make it to many endurance rides this fall but hope to do a lot over the winter and spring and really put them to the test. Then I will see how they hold up over time. Thats the only question right now. The guy who makes them seems really nice, always making improvements to the boots, and hopes to get up and running in a new building and be able to produce a lot more soon.

Default saratoga

that sounds very encouraging.

are they heavier or lighter than epics or bares?

lately my focus switched to glueing boots on but it'd be nice to have a pair of boots that are easy to put on and stay on and don't slip and slide

they are lighter than Epics and so much more flexible.

Default Renegades look very interesting!

When will they be available to the general public?

In looking at the web site, you can even jump in them!

And such an array of colors.. They look much easier to put on.

I really cant say enough good things about the Renegades. I dont know when they will be available to the public though.
    Easy Care is supposed to be coming out with a new design very soon, not sure if it is the just the gaiter or the whole boot. I hope it is much better than what they have now.

I found the website on these boots but there is no information on ordering. How does one go about getting a pair of these?

Daydream Believer, you probably wont be able to buy any because right now they are only sold thru trimmers and I think just trimmers that the manufacturer knows. I am lucky that I live in the same state and was able to find a trimmer that carries them.

Ah, thanks. I am a trimmer but obviously not "in the know!" They do look very nice. I'd love to try a pair!

Yes, they are the best. I did look at Easy Care's website and pics of their new "Edge" boot is up. I think they will be available sometime in '08. They do not show what type of "gaiter" the boot will have but the basic design looks quite similar to the Renegade.

Interesting. I could not find a pic of the Edge boot on there. Is there one?

Quote Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
    Yes, they are the best. I did look at Easy Care's website and pics of their new "Edge" boot is up. I think they will be available sometime in '08. They do not show what type of "gaiter" the boot will have but the basic design looks quite similar to the Renegade.
    Where'd you find the pics? I can only find this page:
    http://www.easycareinc.com/Cool_Stuf...2_results.aspx and
    http://www.easycareinc.com/NewsRoom/Current.aspx

It looks like Pete Ramey submitted the winning name "Easyboot Edge."

I think it was one of the blogs. It was just a few pics that showed the "body" of the boot but not how it would attach. Did remind me of the Renegade though.

Judging by the shell pictures of the new Easyboot Edge available so far and the blog posts it sounds like it's going to be a lot like the Renegades. There are supposed to be another version of improved gaiters by the end of the year too. Between that and the people who are experimenting gluing boots on without gaiters I'm hopefully that there will be some good new options for booting by next summer

I have not tried the Renegades yet, but I did get to handle a pair and they looked promising IMO. For now I'm using Bares with tapers and regular gaiters, but I'm considering switching the bungee to an UpBuckle, at least for everyday use and trail riding (I still think the bungee is better for jumping and competition... lower profile). I like the bungee, but they're very hard to use... my gaiters keep getting stuck inside the boot, no matter how hard I try to keep them folded back.

Darnit, the blogs are blocked out for me here at work!

Lauren - One thing I've figured out that works really well for putting the boots on (with gaiters)...Put the toe in the boot, then grasp the gaiter in both hands by the ends. Let the horse put their foot down, while you pull up on the gaiter. The boots just snap right on this way without the gaiters getting down inside the back of the boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    , the blogs are blocked out for me here at work!

Lauren - One thing I've figured out that works really well for putting the boots on (with gaiters)...Put the toe in the boot, then grasp the gaiter in both hands by the ends. Let the horse put their foot down, while you pull up on the gaiter. The boots just snap right on this way without the gaiters getting down inside the back of the boot.

Thanks! I'll try that, but I'm not sure how it will work... maybe if I pound the boots on half way with a mallet first. The boots are a really snug fit... if you didn't know better you'd think there would be no way they'd go on It was also suggested that I try Gold Bond powder... that's next on my list!