The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Went out to my barn to strip stalls, ended up at the sheriff's office! (long vent!)

Ok, if you chose to read this, go ahead and get a beverage and prepare to sit a spell...

I have my horses at home. Saturday evening was nice and cool, Mr. KPF and I decide to take the boys on a nice hack around our property. Get back, hop off in the barnyard and new neighbors whose property backs up to ours pop up and say "can we talk to you a minute?" OK, first off, I have never even met these people. Mr. KPF has but not me. They bought the house a month or two ago but haven't moved in yet, have been working over there some though. Supposedly she has horses and they're clearing etc to bring them there.

The rude witch didn't even introduce herself and its obvious her butt is on her shoulders. She proceeds to tell me that someone has shot the back of their house and it came from our direction. She asks if we've been shooting. Um, no, we don't typically shoot in our pasture beside our barn, I mean my back pasture backs up within 50 to 70 feet of the back of their house. Duh. Mr. KPF hunts but does not shoot near our animals/barn. The dumbass that lived in their house before they bought it routinely did target practice in the back yard, which I wasn't crazy about but could not tell him what to do on his own property. We're in a rural county and basically the only law about shooting during the day is you can't shoot from INSIDE your house. They had told Mr. KPF a few weeks ago that while cleaning up they had found a bunch of shotgun shells in the back yard. So obviously, to me, the drunk that lived there probably shot his own house at some point in time.

Anyway, she says there were bullet holes in the vinyl siding and she KNEW they were not there a month ago because she looked over every inch of the house. Mr. KPF volunteers to go over and have a look to see what type of bullet it was. Well her hubby had walked back a few minutes before and had already dug out a piece of buckshot. Mr. KPF says it was buckshot spread across a 8' area, could have come from anywhere. Plus it had oxidized and left black streaks down the plywood... obviously not too fresh.

So we finish up at the barn, and go back to the house and talk about what weirdos they are. And how crappy it was the way they approached us and that she basically accused us of shooting the back of their house. Freaks. We chill and forget about it.

Well... last night we're up at the barn, I'm stripping stalls. A deputy's car comes down the road. We're thinking its a friend of ours who is a deputy in our county and wave him up to the barn. Well its some other deputy, he tells us the neighbors called and complained someone had shot the back of their house from our property. OMG, where's the fruitbat! I'm so PO'd I can hardly talk to the deputy. I'm like come on dude, do you really think we would endanger our horses, the hunting dogs in the kennel next to the barn, and the $30K barn we just built ourselves? So he agrees with us that the shot could have been old and that it could have come from anywhere on the 600+ acres of cleared land in our direction. We're aghasted at the fact that they called the law on us.

So cop leaves and says he's going back to tell them he spoke to us. Just as he pulls out the neighbor dude comes out the back of his lot on our property. Mr. KPF hollers over to him, hey dude... he walks over to the dude and says, we talked to y'all last night, what's up with calling the sheriff? The guy starts SCREAMING at Mr. KPF telling him to shut the F*** up etc. I come out of the barn, they're on opposite sides of my pasture fence and the guy takes a swing at Mr. KPF. Mr. KPF amazingly does not deck the dude, he steps back. I have a big ass metal scoop shovel in my hand and tell him he's trespassing, get off of our property. He screams and cusses at me and retreats as Mr. KPF makes his way back towards the barn.

The deputy pulls back up, we tell him we want a warrant for neighbor dude's arrest, attempted assault. He tells us we have to go to the magistrate's office. Fine. We do. Magistrate tells us we can't file charges because he didn't actually touch Mr. KPF. We can send them a letter about not being allowed on our property and post signs, and charge them with criminal trespassing next time. We leave, see neighbor's truck in the lot. Guess he heard we were filing a complaint and ran on down there himself.

Thank God that was the end of the drama. I'm going to write the letter today and mail it certified, return receipt requested. Getting posted signs on my lunch hour and we'll put them up tonight. We're seriously considering putting a motion detector digital camera up on a tree on that property line. I mean, I don't know if this psycho will mess with me when I'm at the barn (our house is 1000' feet away) or mess with any of my animals. I'm a little scared but if need be will carry a pistol with me to the barn as well as our Doberman.

I just had to vent. I absolutely cannot stand for someone to accuse me of something I had nothing to do with, OR for someone to accuse me of endangering my horses. We are just about the best neighbors anyone could have and have spent a lot of $$, blood, sweat and tears (literally all 3) getting our place looking nice. We built a gorgeous house, put up black board fencing and a 36X36 center aisle barn. We spent $200K on the land alone, we have 30 acres. Their neighborhood has 2 to 6 acre lots and houses go for around $250K. The other neighbors on all sides constantly target shoot and hunt during the season. Mr. KPF hasn't shot a shotgun since last hunting season.

We were both so peeved about all this we could hardly sleep last night. I don't want these buttholes to ruin our place for us, we've worked too hard and spent too much $$ on our place. And while neither of us is confrontational, both of us are pretty tough and will not back down if we know we're in the right.

I hope the letter and posted signs work and they just stay on their side and we can ignore each other. Funny thing is, I hope she plans on riding her horses in her yard because you have to come through our property to get to most of the vacant land to ride on. Stupid bee-yotch COULD have had access to a lot of riding land... not now!

If anybody has any suggestions on how to better deal with these psycho freaks, I'd love to hear them. Otherwise, thanks for listening to me vent... I feel a little better now!

Oh yeah, if neighbor bee-yotch is on COTH and reading this... stay the hell off my property and get a clue! You could have had some nice horsey neighbors but you had to start this BS.

Wow - your neighbors are able to figure out vectors and determine that a shot came from your property just by looking at the vinyl?

Geez - they should moonlight in criminalistics. All those folks actually had to study and learn how to analyze evidence - and your neighbors trump those folks with their superior mental abilities. I bet they can bend spoons with their brainwaves too.

They sound like a real piece of work. Let me guess...... urban refugees. Moved out to the country to enjoy nature and complain about the raccoon crapping on their lawn.

Sound 'bout right?

Sorry for your troubles....

I would put a huge privacy fence right on the edge of your property line near theirs, and put up a camera. Never trust anyone!

Wow! That's a bit scary! I'm also sorry for your troubles. Goes to show that old saying "fences make good neighbors" is true. I'd also be a bit worried about the animals too. What a shame.

I really, really feel for you! Nothing worse than awful neighbors. I hope that your situation ends right there and nothing more happens. Bad neighbors can make your life so miserable!! Keeping my fingers crossed that it all turns out well.

Some people, I have learned in my short time on this planet, will so willingly cut their nose off to spite their face without even so much as a millisecond of thought. I'd be doing the same thing you guys are PLUS the camera on the property line AND carrying a disposable camera so that if crazy neighbor dude comes over and tries to take a swing at your hubby again, you can have it on film. I REALLY HOPE they don't plan on harassing you guys for eternity now.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by ShowMeTheGlory View Post
    I would put a huge privacy fence right on the edge of your property line near theirs, and put up a camera. Never trust anyone!
    Ditto this! I hope you're okay. They sound like total jerks.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Sounds right to me, JSwan.

OP, all the best of luck. Jingles that the nuts don't do something else stupid. Obviously, they know nothing about guns, and probably have irritated some good ol' boy who didn't mean for it to come back on you, that is, IF the shots were new. I'm guessing they were already there and the idiots didn't notice.

We had the opposite problem when we moved here. We have 14 acres backed up to a 200 acre tract that was leased for deer hunting. This was all wooded when we bought it and the idiots were really mad about it, and were taking a few pot shots. We called the game warden and eventually, the jerks' idiocy overloaded their guns . The law here is that you can't shoot within 300 feet of another person's property line (toward the line), endanger their livestock, etc. I'm surprised that Virginia doesn't have a similar law to protect livestock. We are not anti-gun, BTW, we both shoot and my husband has a CC permit, but we are really careful not to shoot where it may injure someone or something unintentionally.

And, I thought you could assault someone with words, and if you hit them, they added battery. Different state laws, I guess, of the magistrate is all wet. I'd check into to that, and the shooting distance laws.
    Last edited by Tory Relic; Jul. 23, 2007 at 11:28 AM. Reason: correct wording that clarified intent of statement
    Freaky Farm Hermit Clique
    Mighty Thoroughbred Clique COMH Page: Tory Relic

Wow! I don't know why I'm still surprised by the idiots and mean-spirited people in this world.

They won't last long. They'll end up pissing everyone off from feed store owners to the hay suppliers to anyone else they need to deal with.

Good luck.

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

Oh dear.... Not a good situation....

This is what happens when things get out of hand and you can't talk sense to people.... It seems to be an epidemic in this country--I have a neighbor and the person who boards with me is like this! It seems they have completely lost their power to reason (if they ever had it). What a shame it had to come to this because by the time people want to hurt each other it's too generally too late to salvage the relationship.... Is there a third party (disinterested party) that can sit down with the two of you and hash this thing out? These guys aren't interested in listening what you have to say but if you could get a neutral party in there to mediate and every one talks this out perhaps the tension would subside. I don't have to tell you that it's dangerous if you don't do this. I know by now you can't stand these people but really, it'll be much easier on everyone if you can talk this stuff out and diffuse the situation. Neighbors shouldn't have to carry on a feud in this day and age!!!! If you want any peace I would try and fix this problem now! I know you just want to strangle these people but you need to take the high road to protect your interests....

Me? I'm looking into putting up a privacy fence and moving my horse!

I second the privacy fence or an impentrable hedge like boxwood. They would scare me too.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

JSwan,

That's exactly what I told the sheriff... they've been watching too much CSI!

And he agreed with me that they were probably urban transplants and said the house will probably be on the market after this coming hunting season. I sure hope he's right. Come December they'll probably think they're in Baghdad and completely freak.

It is so aggravating... the barn is my refuge. I don't care for drama of any kind anywhere, but especially not there. And I was sort of almost looking forward to having a horsey neighbor, we have none now. Oh well.

A privacy fence would be our next move if future drama ensues. We're already thinking of planting more trees along the property line.

I was thinking, my manure pile is getting big... I happen to have a lovely tractor-width path behind the fence on that property line. I wonder how they feel about flies... No, really, I don't want to instigate but I can fantasize, right?

Oh hell, I fantasize all the time... just don't instigate things. Hopefully you are right, they'll freak and get the heck out of dodge.0
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

Agreed with everyone about the fencing. At least put up a quick, easy, and relatively cheap chainlink and put some fast growing stuff on it. (I'm thinking morning glories or wild roses....especially the roses in a situation like this! They're gorgeous, but they hurt like heck if you get stuck in them!) Then you can plant some big hedge plants behind it.

That way you have the fence, while the little shrubs do their growing and make you a nice, lovely, environmentally friendly privacy fence! This time of the year garden centers are starting to put their stuff on sale, so you might be able to pick up some fast-growing shrubbery or dense trees for a decent price. And hey, the money you spend now will be worth it when you're looking at a nice wall of greenery instead of their house!

Stay safe!! And although you probably aren't, just try not to be too confrontational. Walking away is oftentimes the best bet. The last thing you need is for them to start really getting angry at you.

Quote Originally Posted by KPF View Post
    JSwan,
    I was thinking, my manure pile is getting big... I happen to have a lovely tractor-width path behind the fence on that property line. I wonder how they feel about flies... No, really, I don't want to instigate but I can fantasize, right?
    You have more restraint than I do. I'd already be out "fertilizing" my fields by now.

FWIW even if you don't to with the cameras there's nothing wrong with hanging signs that say "SMILE: YOU ARE BEING RECORDED". If they complain just say that you're worried that people were poaching on your land and that's probably how their house ended up getting shot, and you're hoping to catch the miscreants on film...

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Ok, I'm going to buck the trend here a bit. I think you all need to cool off, and try to "mend fences". I know, they are stupid and they suck. What they did is not ok. But... they are going to be neighbors and do you really want an adversarial relationship with them? I say, give it some time and try to be cordial---not "best buds", but at least try to resolve this without more animosity and sheriff's visits. I don't know how you can do it, but maybe just go and talk with them at some point??? It sounds to me that they might be new to rural life, and they need a lesson in how things work in the country.

Ok, I'm zipping up my flamesuit, inserting my "coffee drinking straw", and hunkering down.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Maybe they are drug adicts and super paranoid...They sound completly nutty- and the type of people who will go off on anyone for anything- so be careful...

What weirdos. How can they say the gunshots came from your direction when they 1) never witnessed them 2) old gunshots, etc.

I would definitely get a restraining order (I guess that's what it is) against them and post signs up everywhere.
    Border Reiver - 2000 OTTB gelding
    Te Conquistare - 1998 OTTB gelding
    Kaiser Tobey - big goofy German Shepherd
    My OTTB is a nerd clique

Golly, I'd sore be tempted to sneak over there and photograph every inch of their place, dated, so that if ever they come up with something else you can whip out photos and say, "Ahem. Not precisely." Do it quick before they put up no tresspassing signs. Oy vey.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Cherry,

I was posting before reading your post. That's what I think too, the deputy did not help matters. He should have walked over WITH the freaks to talk to us, or not have come over at all. He knew that they had not heard or seen anything being shot from our lot, he should have just told them sorry, nothing I can do. I think he escalated the situation.

Mr. KPF was trying to diffuse it by talking to the dude, but then the dude went ape-doo doo on us. And yeah, we will continue to walk away when we can, and certainly will act within the confines of the law. But I can tell you I'm not going to take any crap from them and neither is Mr. KPF... we are two stubborn individuals and neither of us will be bullied.

We could ask our deputy friend (not the one who came out last night) about talking to them with us I guess. Us talking to them without a third party there is NOT going to happen.