The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Unhappy Jingles for Taylor's Mom ... Annikak adopted the colt! Jingles for Taco

I'm so crushed. The breeders/owners of my wonderful 4 YO stallion Taylor, offered to give me a foal this year.

I was really looking forward to seing Taylor's little brother or sister.

Well, things didn't go according to plan. Nokomis foaled all by herself in a field 4 weeks before her due date without any warning signs.
    She had twins. The filly is not doing too bad, but she is still in critical condition. But the little colt is very weak and so far nobody knows if he is going to make it.

They are currently in ICU at Michigan State.

I will go to see them tomorrow. I hope the little guy makes it. I'm so sad, we all had big hopes for the baby after seing what Taylor can do.
    Last edited by mademoiselle; Jul. 26, 2007 at 09:42 AM.

Many, many jingles for mama and her babies from PA!

Please keep us posted.
    ** I LOVE PUIKA & SHELLA FAN CLUB*** member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Good job R&G!
    You may now add Horsesaver Extraordinaire to your resume

Sending jingles from Massachusetts.

Lots of jingles! I hope the little ones pull through. At least we know they are in good hands!
    -Tami-

[Paint It Black - "Kiddo"]

ooohhhh... but remember, Priss was a twin- and she made it, albeit a bit smaller then she might have been.
    And never forget, Auntie Annika can always have a foal here to take care of! I can bottle feed with the best of them!

Too bad that was missed on the U/S. But jingles that all will be okay!

Default Update on the twins ...

The filly is doing great. I saw her today and she is a sassy little thing.

The colt is still not out of the woods. He is improving slowly but he is still too weak to get up. He is just the cutest thing I have seen. He is adorable.

The vets are still very garded about the outcome, but he is a fighter, so.

Now, the other bad news is that the care is getting very expensive and the owners don't know if they will be able to afford many more days.

So, keep jingling.

I took some pictures with my phone, but I'm a dork and I don't know how to get them on my computer.

Many jingles for the little guys!

I could probably keep a baby at my place, too. My Shetland would probably even adopt another baby.
    Click here before you buy.

Whatever a jingle is, you can have all of mine for the critters, the breeder, you, and the mare.
    Shut up! You look fine! --Judybigredpony
    Ms. Brazil

RBA Guest

Jingles for Taylor's mom!!! you are in our thoughts.

jingles cont from my end...for MANY reasons! :-)

many many jingles for those sweet babies! (and the mum..and owners!)

jingles, jingles, jingles!!! from PA
    ** I LOVE PUIKA & SHELLA FAN CLUB*** member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Good job R&G!
    You may now add Horsesaver Extraordinaire to your resume

Default Jingles and more jingles.

I hope the little ones are doing well. I understand the breeders dilemma: one can spend tons of money on an ill foal, and it will never be right. But I hope they give the little guy a fair chance.

An older, maiden mare I had once gave birth to twins. Together, they weighed 100 lbs at birth: one 60, one 40. The smaller one was too tiny to nurse, so we took all three to the vet hospital where she got colostrum, fluids, and assessment. When they came home, she was still tiny and very ribby despite the mare having plenty of milk and getting extra bottle feedings. A well-meaning passer-by called the animal control officer to complain that we were starving a pony!

Anyway, she had plenty of spunk, and grew like a weed. Both she and her sister were doing very well, last I heard, as lovely show horses.

On another note, we just finished ultrasounding this year's (late) bred mare to rule out twins. Luckily only a single pregnancy, but it's possible to miss them, even with U/S.

I hope you keep us updated, and that they and the mare do well.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Well, here is an update!

The mare and the filly were ready to go home today, but the colt is still to weak.
    He had to have surgery yesterday because he had a problem with his uraniry system and when they opened they discovered a little hole in his intestine.

The good news is that he was able to stand on his legs (with some help) twice today.

But the biggest news is that he has a new mom. Annikak adopted him !!!!!! He is hers.

She officially owns Taylor's brother. BTW, his name is Two Reasons

She will post some pictures I took at the vet clinic very soon

Annikak rules! Congrats! And continued jingles for the little man...
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

I hope he bounces back quickly, and that his sister and mom continue to do well. I'm so happy that Annikak was able to take him!
    Stay me with coffee, comfort me with chocolate, for I am sick of love.

Oh yeah, I forgot.

We decided to keep mom and sister at MSU so Two Reasons can still bond with his mommy and get some 'fresh' milk

It's so weird, Nokomis (the mare) never spent a day in a stall since she was born. She has lived her entire life outside. And she has been cooped in a tiny stall for 4 days and seems fine with it.

She just wants to take care of her babies. When the colt stood up, she sticked her head in his stall and started licking him and talking to him.

Very cute
    Last edited by mademoiselle; Jul. 19, 2007 at 08:20 AM.

Best of luck to Mom and the little ones.
    Well done Marjory.
    Well done Annika.

Actually, Ms MME is to be congratulated- as she brought the 2 of us together.

So, for now, Two Reasons is staying at State- and the breeders decided (very kindly) to allow the mare and filly to stay in the stall next to him. As MME said, she stuck her head over and licked him today- and that was all it took for all of us...its worth a shot to see if she will take him on once he is strong enough to stand. It's actually quite unreal to me!

So, I think this link should work- http://picasaweb.google.com/annikasvea/BabyT and then you can see his face.

Yes, he is still weak. Yes, he still needs intensive care. Yes, there are serious risks down the road. But so far his blood work has been quite good, nothing back on culture (day 2...and counting) Liver and kidney function appear to be good. Bowels, while not operating in what we normally call normal, are normal for a premie.

I have spoken to my vet here, my vet in NC, and called friends that "know more" then I do. I have asked 10 zillion questions. So, for now, its all hunky dory, and I am pretty amazed. (where is the fainting icon?) I was stopped by a vet that knows me at MSU, and she said that it's a good risk, and that he should be fine. Knowing her, that is good news for everyone. The breeder is being fantastic- they are picking up the boarding bill for the mare and filly to stay near the colt. So, Reason's mom is there- and how nice is that???? I feel its a win/win for everyone (2 reasons? get it??)

Excited? Yeah. Nervous? yeah. Better get my foal blankets back!

and yes...I do have amazing friends, and the most amazing tolerant husband ever.

And my god, if...just if.... he turns out anywhere near Taylor? WOW!