The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

One of the reasons I post here is that all types of driving seemed welcome. When I first came here 5 or 6 years ago I was welcomed and cautioned to not push my young horse. Oh, so well, those words of advice served me--I now have an excellent young horse starting his job--driving in whatever venue comes our way --trail driving or competitive events.

I personally find it pretty pathetic when someone must PM petty messages that they are unwilling to post on the public forum.

Default No, Lost Farmer, don't slip away!

I LOVE your pictures and your posts! You're part of the variety and richness of this forum. I hate that anyone's attacking you in any regard, especially if they've seen your happy, healthy, beautiful ponies enjoying their work in harness. Please just ignore the naysayers and stay here where we need you!

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by LostFarmer View Post
    I guess I am one of rebel voices. I certainly do enjoy driving and learning of some of the stuff outside of my box of understanding. I have been told off in repeated PM's for posting about horsepulls, tire therapy, work as a training aid and numerous other topics. I have found other boards that discuss the type of driving I participate in. I refuse to say that one form of driving is better or worse than the other. Different and done with different outlays of capital but all take time and skill. So I have decided that I will be more selective in the posts I reply to and it will be rare that I start a post and even more rare to share a picture.

I wouldn't call this board unfriendly as much arrogant. LF

Quote Originally Posted by LostFarmer View Post
    I have been told off in repeated PM's for posting about horsepulls, tire therapy, work as a training aid and numerous other topics.
    Never?? By the same person? By several people?? Lots of times??

If someone did disagree then why are they telling you in PM rather than having an open discussion on the forum?

Smacks of a spineless coward to me!!!! If someone doesn't have the guts to post on the open forum if they're seeing something they disagree with then they don't have my respect and I'd suggest if that's the case that you merely dismiss that person/s lack of testicular fortitude with the contempt it deserves.

And you know I don't use tyres as part of training - but then I have light harness horses and as such IME dragging dead weight plays no useful part or purpose and can actually be a disadvantage.

However you also know I've very specifically said that they can, do and should indeed have a part to play in training a heavy harness horse for agricultural work.

So I invite the person/s who PM'd you to either come out now to profer their opinions and views. Or else PM me so I can tell them directly they're a spinless witless coward!

Oh I think I just did that

I barely consider myself a driver (let alone a "competitive" one), yet every time I've posted any update or piece of drivel here, I've received nothing but support and well wishing.

The only people I've seen who've been set back on their haunches here, are those who think they can hook their horse/pony to a $175 vehicle, with a $50 harness, with no training/assistance, and want the members here to tell them how wonderful they're doing.
    Leah McFarlin
    Winding Oaks Welsh & Sport Ponies in Morriston, FL
    www.wowelsh.com
    Home of BF Oliver Twist & Misty Mountain Brynmor

Let me just add, in defense of LF's position, that there used to be a LOT of pokeyfunmaking and putdowns of breed show ring driving here, as well. But what I've noticed is that all it really takes is for one or two people who DO choose to drive "a different way", who know their stuff (or in my case, at least more or less know their stuff ) to defend their position and demonstrate that they do understand why they do what they do, and show that they understand and respect other driving traditions and styles too, and people back off.

NOTHING floats my boat more than a really great Fine Harness horse, NOTHING. I have stood in awe and admiration of a really well-turned out 4-in-hand doing the Olympic Rings at Georgia (back when they still *did* the Olympic Rings and *had* a Georgia... 'nother story entirely), but I've never had one bring tears to my eyes the way, say, Sir William Robert or It's Hammertime did. And I do completely understand WHY some people don't like it, I really do. These would NOT be the horses, harnesses, or vehicles you would pick for a quick spin down the road a piece or thru the hazards! But they work to their specific, intended purpose, and that purpose is a 150-year tradition over here, and I love it. It's different from the norm, but taken for what it is, it's something spectacular. As long as you don't try to make it into something else.

So I vote that our lurking PM'er should be brave and step out, hold his or her ground, and see what happens!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

MySparrow, just another semi-lurker who sincerely hopes this forum welcomes pleasure drivers. I don't compete and have no intentions of competing, but I respect those who do. I enjoy reading the banter on the site. You can always learn something from someone. It seems like a pretty good mix of driving types to me. Happy driving!

Quote Originally Posted by kearleydk View Post
    Whew, I'd say that PM came from WAY out in left field.

I enjoy this list BECAUSE it is eclectic. I DON"T post anymore to the Rec Driving list because Rob Johnson goes on SUCH a rant every time those 3 little letters come up and on the other hand I don't use the CDL list because I'm not a competitor.

Let's keep it open. We learn from all directions.

Dick
    I left the CDL list two years ago...(I actually cannot figure out how to unsubscribe so I have it auto deleted as it arrives) partially over some horse's tail getting set on fire and a bunch loonies talking about that aftermath and partially because I was told about 4 seperate times that "farmers and their war wagon were not wanted on this list"....

it was also part of the reason that despite 400-600 acres of easily traveled, horse friendly, drivable land,one hour from two major interstates we decided against ever having a drive up here (for pleasure or competition) us farmers will just keep our farm land to ourselves and our friends....thank you very much

I enjoy it here...mostly because I'm secretly in love with Thomas and there is much less the "oh how important we are" attitude than every where else....

Tamara in TN

"farmers and their war wagon were not wanted on this list"....

What's a "war wagon"?

I've only heard large x-country carriages called war wagons. I've gotta' admit, I call the really big Budweiser types of vehicles "circus wagons"....but that's not an insult, it's where these things are typically seen besides a big driving show.

I also didn't know "Farmer" was a derogatory term (I was a dairy farm kid).

I think people are WAY too sensitive about what and how they drive on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    "farmers and their war wagon were not wanted on this list"....

What's a "war wagon"?

I've only heard large x-country carriages called war wagons. I've gotta' admit, I call the really big Budweiser types of vehicles "circus wagons"....but that's not an insult, it's where these things are typically seen besides a big driving show.

I also didn't know "Farmer" was a derogatory term (I was a dairy farm kid).

I think people are WAY too sensitive about what and how they drive on both sides.
    a war wagon is a junker...something cobbled together with string and wire and certainly not suitable for "real" driving....

Tamara in TN

Default Nooooo, Lost Farmer is leaving??!!!!!

I am a lurker on this fourm. I someday hope to learn to drive, I have always always wanted to.
    But...I have my plate full and not many horses here that would be good prospects...lots of OTTB. (learned that here)
    I love this form because it seems so much more laid back and nice compared to many of the other ones on this board.
    I love Lost Farmer!! I look for your posts and secretly have you on my buddy list...great I'm starting to sound like a stalker
    Please don't go away!!!
    If some looser is bothering you in pm, then block them!!!!
    You have great advice and it is really valuable to those of us who share your outlook on some things in life. I have learned a lot that I like from your posts, and while I may not agree with everything you say, so what? We all should take the good for us and our situation and leave the rest. I think that for a whole bunch of lurkers and others too, that you have quite a bit to share that we would like to "take with us"!!
    Please don't go?!!!
    *goes back to the shadows, hoping that LF doesn't come along*

I just re read the beginning of this thread an all I have to say is that if MySparrow is getting it too, then it is obviously just some gutless looser like Thomas said. I will just have a hissy fit if LF and MY Sparrow let this looser affect their posts.
    Nothing like an unknown lurker coming out of the shadows to have a major hissy fit.
    "Lord, please help me be the person my dog thinks I am"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mytesio

YAYA - war wagon are usually what I see trotting down the road in my neighborhood. The amish are very creative around here and you often see them hauling whole "houses" down the road on a flat wagon. You really never know what you'll see when you look out the window, but it does make for interesting dinner conversation.

I like this forum, I never posted on any other driving forums (or any other forum for that matter), hey when you have found the best - why go elsewhere? I am impressed by the knowledge of the people on this forum, it was very interesting just reading the logistics (something no one ever mentioned to me when discussing driving) of how things work, and why they work in the driving threads (I even enjoyed the thread on the mule hitch - more interesting dinner conversation!). Its also interesting to see the different opinions of how its done. We are all trying to get to that same place with our horses - whether its the perfect competition or the perfect trail ride, but I think that we all have the same goal.

I think what is really cool is the people are alot alike too. Most of us seem to have 20-30 years experience with horses...if I haven't seen it well maybe Sparrow or LF has, that kind of insight is priceless. The level of "most" horse people around here is better than most - we know what we are talking about, so its easier to go on from there, to a little bit more higher level.

Thanks to all of you for the help you've given me with me and mine
    The View from Here

My version of a war wagon is a beater that is practically indestructible to be used in the training of green horses. I have a wagon built on an old car frame modified to be a 5th wheel. It is a great ride on a rough trail. It is long on ugly and practical. I guess that defines the driving I do. Make it fun, safe as possible, and affordable. I started driving with a patched together harness, a home built sleigh out of snowmobile skis, and a borrowed forecart. I was into driving less than $2000 and that included the horses. I have since upgraded and purchased my own but I am still into efficiency and effective leaving the looks to the turnout Nazis.

I won't leave entirely but I will and have been more selective in my posts. It isn't that I am offended or even that upset, I get tired of trying to have a battle of wits with the unarmed. LF

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN
    I enjoy it here...mostly because I'm secretly in love with Thomas
    erm... I don't know whether to be flattered or to head for the hills!??

A photo could help me decide

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehener
    I also didn't know "Farmer" was a derogatory term
    In that case I've been insulted more than I thought! Whatever though... I'm proud to grow the nations food.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN
    a war wagon is a junker...something cobbled together with string and wire and certainly not suitable for "real" driving....
    We've probably all seen something similar at some point in time.

My proper start to driving was VERY basic: When I was 9 I built myself a "bogey cart". Planks of wood were nailed between two sets of pramwheels. Rope reins were fastened to the front axle for steerage and mine was 'posh' as it had a wooden box nailed to the planks so that it had a seat!

I spent much time careering down the steep hills where I lived. Getting back up though was a pain in the backside until I discovered that I could encourage the old and too-tolerant dales pony to run up and down the fence line with us and then when we were at the bottom tying the bogey round it to haul me and my friend back up again.

Now of course my parents never knew that we did this and had they known we'd have got an old fashioned clip round the ear and one day the thing we feared happened. We got caught! And by an ancient man who I thought must be over 100! Who said "nah then lad if tha wants to do that tha should do it proper". I also seem to well recall him asking if my father knew we had the pony out The man was Thomas Holgate, Professional Coachman and I spent every holiday after that learning how to drive.

Since then I've been called everything from a gypsy and hawker to a rich toff (and probably the one that creased my wife most was when I was called "cool" by a group of teenage boys) when I've been driving and you know I don't give a damn.

The world of horses contains many folks who think that what they do has got to be the be all and end all. But there's also plenty who are genuine all round horse-men and horse-women who have more open minds and many and varied interests.

I've driven from the flashy to the trashy - though never with bling brow bands With Princes and with paupers and I don't give 2 hoots for what others think about what I do because its what I enjoy, doesn't do anyone else any harm and I'm a grown up with a sense of perspective about what's important.

If someone tells me my carriage looks crap and my horse is ugly then so what, its certainly not going to rock my world.

Default Do tell.....

See that! Up until now, the only "War Wagons" I was aware of were flying around marathon courses and zig zagging through hazards !

Don
    *Charter Member-Blue Tarp State Driving Clique*
    "You can't always get what you want, but if you try, you just might find you get what you need" Mick Jagger

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    erm... I don't know whether to be flattered or to head for the hills!??

A photo could help me decide

http://www.productionacres.com/photo_gallery.htm

10th pic in series...cleaned up for the hunt ball

Tamara in TN

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Obviously your PMer can't read
    I am a total newbie to driving and never have any of my postings on this forum been snarkily answered.
    Even the dumbest, most-obviously-uninformed ones
    If novice pleasure drivers were not well received here I would have been booted with my first post!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    I am a total newbie to driving and never have any of my postings on this forum been snarkily answered.
    Even the dumbest, most-obviously-uninformed ones
    If novice pleasure drivers were not well received here I would have been booted with my first post!
    Hey did I miss something?

Where was it

This is my favorite board on COTH. I read here every single day as long as there is something new to read.

I'm taking a rare lesson here and there with a friend, but I don't even drive my own horses!.

I plan to though. I ground drive for now .

I'm sucking up every bit of info I can and hoping the planets align so I can purchase the equipment I'll need to hook up one of the ponies and possibly my STB mare (not too sure about her though)....in the meantime I take "lessons" with a friend and help her in any way I can so I can learn whatever comes up. At some point I'd love more formal lessons.

But I will continue to read and occassionaly bounce my questions off the members here. I've never been treated badly here and I'm far from an experienced driver.
    Last edited by hundredacres; Jul. 16, 2007 at 10:30 PM.

Lf i dont post here very often but i love comming to this part of coth
    becuase i can learn - i used to drive an old shetland cross for fun and i am taking it up again with a sec b as hes to small so i am working him on the long rein and i will admit i am not the best perhaps but it its fun and you can take your friends out who dont ride or of whom are a bit weary of horses and ponies in general but even though i dont drive at the moment and i would never consider myself as a proffesional i have learn in my equesterian dispalines that i have been to or seen or done or taken part in that driving people are one of the nicest bunch you can meet or write with and i personally beleive
    perhaps maybe short sightness i dont know that with driving you have to have a bit of everything in order to compete at at top level
    as in dressage, schooling, fitness, exercise,roads and non roads eventing, etc
    its a sport that constantly has your mind active didnt realise it before perhaps
    but do so now its fun with the frills and spills and knowledge

lf - dont go speak up becuase every bit of knowlegde or past histories
    is all something we can learn from the good and the bad becuase how can we come good or how can we learn from mistakes or the bad to become good
    if someones pm--ing people then they havent got the wise book of knowledge that says

look and learn ----

i also enjoy your post Lf and sparrow and your opnions views etc are valid
    i sometimes get pm for being harsh or outspoken or not understood becuase
    i have trouble with content or context and have pm's from time to time
    i beleive everybody does but thats life some people you can please and others you cant

you cant not make freinds with everyone or be liked by all its the way life goes

all you can do is learn by things be it expreince or expreicences

i come here to read what i am doing with my pony is the right way
    so far still long lineing and not ready yet as hes to fast but hes comming down to my way of thinking and i dont care how long it takes gentle gentle with this little boy hes 8 and has been with people that have scared him to death with things being tied to him - as in tin cans etc etc
    to make him go forwards which he did as such a high speed
    but he learnt now to walk and trot on the lunge line purely by long lineing him

iam keeping this boy as he wont get a home ridden so i am determined
    he will have a job to do as a driving pony for myself and i dont care how
    long it takes me to get him there.

We've been out of touch for a few days and come back to THIS kind of posting -

Dang - if it wasnt for the VARIETY of people posting on this forum about the VARIETY of driving experiences and turnouts and questions then we would not be still reading this forum

I LIKE the people and the general attitude of acceptance -at least what shows on the surface

I feel like I am friends with a whole group of people I have never met face to face

That was one of our fun experiences THIS WEEKEND - meeting someone in person we've known on-line for several years (from another forum)

If this COTH driving forum was only CDE we would NOT be bothering to read it most of the time

MySparrow and Lost Farmer and anyone else who has had to deal with this type of PM comment - I'm really sorry you had to experience that type of rude and insular person, but I hope you dont give up on the rest of us who just want to enjoy the camraderie of other driving (of any kind) enthusiasts

Post On!