The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

Geeze, I hope this forum is for pleasure driving! I used to be on another recreational driving board but not more than a couple posts out was ripped a new one by the owner of the list, so I never went back.... Who needs it???

I'm shocked to hear that My Sparrow and Lost Farmer have been treated the way they have! Who sent those PMs???? Did ya'll report the person who sent the PMs to a moderator??? It's never too late you know!!!!

I crave diversity in all things! That's how we learn and, hopefully, become more interesting people. Viva la difference!

"I crave diversity in all things! That's how we learn and, hopefully, become more interesting people. Viva la difference! "

You said it Cherry. We love ALL aspects of the sport, but find those forums who limit themselves to a single aspect soon become boring.

There is so much we can learn from each other

well after all the self congratulatory posts are done, i do think this forums is too hard on beginners and people who ask basic questions, they are treated like idiots here far too often. and i think there's a lot of room for improvement in that. lost farmer and others who don't do the same type of driving have a lot to add - so do beginners, even dumb ones who are trying to do it with a 50 dollar harness. you can work on your presentation to them, a bit, i'd say.

SLC2, are you for real? The first time I made a suggestion on your precious dressage board, I got slapped down by fellow poster. I responded and let it be known she'd hurt my feelings when she could have just corrected me or argued her point more politely

You PM'ed me and asked me 'why do you have to be so f***ing sensitive??' That was it, nice huh?

yeah, you are a real sweetie there, SLC2. Really kind.

And in SLC2 there's the exception that proves the rule!

Quote Originally Posted by Wowelsh View Post
    The only people I've seen who've been set back on their haunches here, are those who think they can hook their horse/pony to a $175 vehicle, with a $50 harness, with no training/assistance, and want the members here to tell them how wonderful they're doing.
    No one was self-congratulating and it seems you've veered the matter off topic.

Now normally I'm a big fan of "if you don't like it, don't read it". But there's also something to be said for observing the social norms and trying to go with the flow, rather than against it. Just as in real life, when a newbie person is trying to walk in and ask something and then tells folks who are there that they're wrong, it causes conflict, controversy, trainwrecks and increase in popcorn sales on a Forum Board.

And thinking that's the way to carry on doesn't make sense or have rhyme nor reason to the majority.

If you don't want to have folks jumping on you then when those who are experienced say that what you're doing just doesn't seem to make sense, then might I suggest that it would be a good idea to take heed and consider rather than argue and be rude and dismissive. Alternatively if you have so many opinions as a novice and don't actually want advice then do not originate so many nonsensicle threads. Rather you might find that it's slightly easier you could just chip in and contribute to other threads and perhaps also put everyone whose posts you don't like on ignore or don't respond to them. And the idea of actually trying to appreciate why folks with real experience, disagree will take you far.

Trust me.

Too Simple,

You've clearly forgotten that my name is Tom to my friends and Thomas to you.

You've clearly caught be out and demonstrably I don't know a thing about long reining and driving. And I still can't wait to see all those photos of your ground driving and long reining so I can see and understand just how it should be done and what the difference is.
    Last edited by Thomas_1; Jul. 19, 2007 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    SLC2, are you for real? The first time I made a suggestion on your precious dressage board, I got slapped down by fellow poster. I responded and let it be known she'd hurt my feelings when she could have just corrected me or argued her point more politely

You PM'ed me and asked me 'why do you have to be so f***ing sensitive??' That was it, nice huh?

yeah, you are a real sweetie there, SLC2. Really kind.
    LOL...I had the same thing happen to me! It was a couple years ago and I literally stopped cominghere for some time thanks to the nastiness that was in part shelled out by slc! Yeah...real nice!

I have always felt that the "main" focus of the Driving Forum was CDE's because that is the driving discipline covered by the magazine. Remember the magazine? You know, the outfit that foots the bill for this entire community?

But horses competing in CDE's and horses being used for pleasure driving and horses being used for stump-pulling all start their careers with (hopefully) good basics and that is why I read this forum. For good, basic horse husbandry techniques.

This is a huge international community. People would be well-advised to take advantage of it!

p.s. And yes, there are some sour grapes. Which is actually a pretty accurate reflection of the real world.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Well, I normally just lurk on Driving but I would like to chime in on this.

I can understand where some one would be hesitant to post or get the impression that the forum is geared for showing and competitive driving.

My driving is a very casual affair and if I needed advice it would probably be some very basic questions. Many of the threads in Driving are like reading a foreign language to me and I really have no desire to learn that much about driving at this point in my life.

Maybe you all don’t realize how sophisticated you have become. And really isn’t that what the Driving forum should be? I mean if you came to the driving forum and everyone was a beginner or a casual Driver what would you talk about, who would answer the questions?

Of course that said you should always remember that everyone has to start some where and not every one is look for perfection just some fun and safe driving.
    /Don't Judge...
    1 in 100 children, 1 in 94 boys and 1 in 88 military children...
    It’s time to listen.
    Every day!/

I've driven from the flashy to the trashy - though never with bling brow bands
    Hey, Thomas! Send me an e-mail and I'll set you up!

Seriously, I read hear to learn from people who have BTDT and I can get info from. Granted, I just file away that info for now, as we haven't begun driving my new boy yet....But we will, and I'm sure posters here will be happy to help me out with it!

Keep up the good work.

To the original OP....Did the PM come from someone with three letters and a number in her user name? Wouldn't surprise me. Or anyone else, likely.

Cinder

Default War Wagons?

Quote Originally Posted by horseyfolks View Post
    See that! Up until now, the only "War Wagons" I was aware of were flying around marathon courses and zig zagging through hazards !

Don
    I also thought 'war wagon' was a synonym for 'marathon vehicle'. The first time I saw the term was when it was used derogatorily on the RED list. I joined the RED a few years ago and then left quickly after seeing people get shredded finely for talking about CDE's. Sheesh. What's up with that? I enjoy all types of driving. Fine harness or pulling contests are not my thing at all but that doesn't mean I don't admire the skill and training it takes to do them well. If a horse can do it, I like it. And vive la difference. The world is a dull place if we all do and talk about the same stuff.

The driving forum is for anyone who drives and/or is interested in driving - we don't care who what where when why and how. This is a place to educate and be educated. Just as the Hunter/Jumper forums isn't JUST for "A" circuit types, or the Dressage for only those who ride GP, or Foxhunting for foxhunters to the exclusion of those who run rabbits/hare with beagles and bassetts or harriers or coyotes instead of foxes.

The forum were never intended to be exclusive for any group or interest! The magazine, on the other hand is only for subscribers (something I recommend )....

Please, don't exclude pleasure drivers for any reason. We are all here to learn.
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

gothedistance, thanks for that post, though I do find it kind of distressing that the magazine considers driving "filler"!
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    What an interesting topic. It's interesting because I got a PM from someone regarding the Horse Care forum also. This person thought that one dominant poster (who is also THE dominant poster of the driving forum) seems to be a professional veterinarian who will not tolerate the advice or opinions of others, and so this poster didn't want to meet head to head with him again and so just quit posting on the forum all together.

I assured this person that the prominent poster to whom they were referring is NOT a professional veterinarian and that they should continue posting. I haven't paid attention if they have posted on Horse Care again or not.

So I agree with slc2 that certain people are extremely nasty to beginners and seem to get their rocks off on doing it. It's pretty pathetic, actually. One particular poster here ripped you new ass when you mentioned drawing the outside line up over the back while ground driving. Well, the truth is, it CAN be done that way, and lots of people do that and it's called either long lining or double longing, or simply 'working the horse in hand.' But the problem was, this prominant poster just REFUSED to listen to the ideas of others, and INSISTED that all the nincompoops on the thread didn't know the first thing about "ground driving." So yeah - you're right.

why dont you come right out and say his name--------

tom as i can call him tom but because i respect him i call him the name he was born with

you know sometimes you just sound off as so jealous you hit on anything or anyone
    and alway have the last word as you are a very righteous person
    only trouble is you can only see the end of your nose as right
    you always claim in anything you say as part of knowledge ---and never see the whole picture

jealously is one of those awful emotions some people have its called
    the green strike as a pea which can widen or expanded
    a pea to a snowball and a strike to a motorway
    but they always get crushed or melted by superiors with a lot more in
    depth knowledge

green is envy but green is also know to us in uk as cabbage.

as for novices like myself in driving as i class myself a novice
    then i want to do things that are completely safe and the correct format
    so i can have a good pony to do the things i want to with and i will take my
    learnings from anyone that has in depth knowledge and wisdom and expereicnes to achieve that and i know that i am rusty in driving i have never claim that i am good at it but i do know how to long line and handle a pony from the ground upwards so i beleive i am half way home
    but i wont make my next move on the pony till i am absolutely sure he can take that .

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    I assured this person that the prominent poster to whom they were referring is NOT a professional veterinarian and that they should continue posting.
    TS, you might want to let this one go. This isn't the TWH thread, where public sympathy supported you even when you knew nothing about the topic (or even gaited horses in general), but still felt compelled to discourse at length on it. No insult intended, but I suspect you've pretty much used up your free passes around here for that behavior.

Throwing insults around about others' experience is just setting yourself up for an ugly and humilating fall when your own inadequacies are exposed (and we all have 'em, after all). Just relax if you want to continue to hang here without being told off or embarrassed on a daily basis. Other people can have differing opinions than yours and shockingly, the sun will continue to rise. Trust me on that....
    "If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you." -Don Marquis
    **CEO of the TQ "Learn How To Ride or MOVE OVER!!" Clique**

Wink

I don't drive anything - other than my car...LOL!- but I love reading the posts of certain members of this forum- because they seem to be amazingly healthy human beings- in the sense of their mental powers...just wanted to say cheers to all of THOSE- especially Thomas and Goeslikestink- keep up the good work!

Once I am 80 and can't ride anymore- I might start getting on that cart...by then I might know enough about it...

Oh, Sabine, start before you're 80! It's far more rich an experience than you can imagine!

Well, we certainly have brought some attention to our little forum --all kinds of people comin over-- some not so nice!

Having been around this for a few years--I have asked questions about every aspect of driving, training, showing, cdes, pleasure shows, trail driving. Every one was most supportive. I have also shared my experiences--which recently have been mostly CDEs. Those same folks have been most congratulatory and supportive.

Does that make this solely a CDE site? I don;t think so. I enjoy all of the posters--- all seem to have something to add. Do I always agree --no

But it seems to me that very much lately there has been some nasty posts that were pretty much uncharacteristic for this forum. Sad to see.

There is another forum I go to here in Florida that has OT all the time that are plain stupid--Sex offender owns a pet store. I just avoid those posts. I am now avoided posts here because of the tones.

If we can;t play nicely, I tend to be like others who sort of fade away.

Well, I'm not fading away. I need you all too much.