The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default driving for pleasure not acceptable on this list?

Recently I received a private message from someone who felt that this list was for CDE, ADT and other highly competitive drivers, not for non-competitive or "only pleasure show" drivers.

I've been thinking about it, and I decided to share the question with the group.

Never have I felt anything but welcome here, and the wealth of information, the open doors, the friendship and camraderie have been priceless for me for the last year.

Here in Mississippi our competitive organization, the Gulf Coast Whips, is still recovering from Katrina. Locally, Dr. Bob Cook, former head of the CAA, tells me that most of his gang are getting pretty retired now. The closest competition I've found is the Nashoba Classic, up in Tennessee, and it's apparently a pleasure and dressage show. If I want to compete, that's where I'll go.

Meanwhile, however, I'm doing a lot of driving, and without the expertise available here on this forum I wouldn't be nearly so safe nor so happy. Yesterday I caught a break between welcome but very enthusiastic rainstorms to put Sparrow to the easy-entry cart, and loaded up my visiting brother and my 84-year-old mother for a little afternoon drive. My brother, who learned to drive teams as I did when we were in our teens, asked how I'd managed to retain my skills and become "so competent" (He's my baby brother, I'm supposed to dazzle him ). My answer was, "Books, practice, and a particular driving forum on the Internet." That's how important this forum is to me.

So let me say to anyone who is lurking and afraid to post -- don't be! You are welcome, and we value your experience and perspective!!!!!

Open arms --

Dale

The *bulk* of people here do CDE's, but that's true everywhere, in real life, IMO.

HRH Avery is retired from the show ring, and has only gone for little wanders down the road a piece in harness for the last couple of years. (Verdict is still out on whether he'll still be able to do even that since latest injury - just have to wait and see!) So we are most definitely in the Recreational Driving clique!

I value the expertise of loads of people on this forum and learn a lot when I ask questions and try to help where I can. Hopefully other lurkers will be brave, de-lurk, and do the same!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I love the process of preparing for a competition, be it CDE or pleasure show, and part of that is because I spend so much time just driving through the countryside as preparation for the competitive goals. It has never occurred to me that the pure pleasure of driving should be any more or less valid due to a competitive goal, or lack thereof.

I went for a beautiful drive this morning, just me and the pony enjoying the sunshine, the breeze, and a magnificent blue heron we passed on the way. We were totally in the moment, as I think any driver would have been. That the drive also happened to serve as conditioning for CDE was completely beside the point. I think whoever PM'd you was being silly.

I hope my PM-er is listening!

It delights me that so many people here are competitive. It's the competitive people who push the edges of the envelope and develop the new technologies, who keep the knowledge of the old stuff alive and who lead the way into a continually evolving body of information. It's a huge benefit to me to have those people available as a resource. And if I ever do get to competing, I'll be so much richer because of this forum!

Thanks, all.

Maybe those of us that compete are just more vocal, but I enjoy reading all the post and find I frequently learn something new.
    For me competing is a measure of what I am learning and how we are improving. It helps me focus and work to be a better driver for me and for Poppins. It is kind of like taking lesson, even if you don't compete. Becoming a better partner for you equine is what it is all about. The competition is my report card.
    Sorry if someone didn't feel welcome.

Default OUT OF LINE

Whew, I'd say that PM came from WAY out in left field.

I enjoy this list BECAUSE it is eclectic. I DON"T post anymore to the Rec Driving list because Rob Johnson goes on SUCH a rant every time those 3 little letters come up and on the other hand I don't use the CDL list because I'm not a competitor.

Let's keep it open. We learn from all directions.

Dick

Erm and was this PM from a grown up???

Dare I suggest that anyone so insecure they feel "intimated" and afraid to post by folks who have no physical presence or actual ability to affect them in any way probably needs to have a discussion with a health care professional?

I'm too long in the tooth to learn how to suffer fools gladly and whether someone posts or not is of no importance! However if they lack the guts and fortitude to even start posting I sincerely wonder how the heck they're going to survive if anyone ever disagrees with them.

This forum has one of the most active driving sections of any I've discovered to date. Its got an eclectic bunch of individuals with wide and varied experience.

IMO its good for knowledge and experience sharing and sometimes just for having a jolly good read and a laugh and banter with others who share a hobby.

How the heck anyone thought it was dominated by highly competitive HDT (CDE) drivers is beyond my understanding. Its certainly not the impression I'd got.

However even if that were the case, you never know Miss or Mr Anonymous just might well find that interesting or informative or useful. But it seems we'll never know because they're going to just read rather than post.

However I'm a little concerned that whoever this person is, they're likely to be disappointed if they go to any internet forum as many posters tend to tell it like it is.

Perhaps they should just grow some hide or put up or shut up??

Thomas, you often make me laugh, frequently give me new information and very often confirm what I already knew. Thanks. This time, you made me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by kearleydk View Post
    Whew, I'd say that PM came from WAY out in left field.

I enjoy this list BECAUSE it is eclectic. I DON"T post anymore to the Rec Driving list because Rob Johnson goes on SUCH a rant every time those 3 little letters come up and on the other hand I don't use the CDL list because I'm not a competitor.

Let's keep it open. We learn from all directions.

Dick
    I used to be on that Group as well. Have to say I am one of the folks who got RJ frothing at the mouth about CDE. When I countered his arguments logically, factually, he just kept repeating himself on the horrors of CDE and the ladies who know him got rather irate that I didn't agree. How many time can you repeat yourself before it quits being fun? Not worth that much argument. They wanted to be his good followers to blend in. Plus I don't have a cool accent when I write. This was quite a while ago.

I did get some interesting stuff from Barb Lee, gave her some ideas to try in her endless adjustments of equipment for her long-distance driving. RJ just made it un-fun.

I also enjoy this group for the diversity, ways it makes me think. I think we all get much pleasure from just being out driving, whether we go on to compete or not as Zella said. Ideas from many make us better in our choices, more apt to take a wider look at a problem we encounter with horse, vehicle or situation. This learning all helps make us better drivers, with horses benefiting.

Any place where you have more then one horse person you will get differing options. The key is in listening and sorting through it all. The PM is out of line and uncalled for. Most drivers start out as recreational before ever thinking of moving into a show ring.

I too belong to other lists, but I like the Coth, as it has a varied group of drivers that ARE willing to exchange experiences. I drive every day and do so because I truely love the sport of carriage driving in all facets. It is also finally my full time job and I love teaching people and horses with SAFETY always top priority. Showing is always a test of our training at home, the ribbon is just a bonus. Believe me with the breed I show you learn to smile, laugh a little, and enjoy the experience.

Our driving community is loosing alot of the old guard, which is sad. We would be smarter to take notes while we can for some day we may be wishing we had. This all comes from sharing experiences. So don't be afraid to ask a question or to answer if you can. Be willing to listen to all sides and ask more questions if something is still unclear. The driving world is very different in the styles and equines driven but one can always learn something new.

Trot on,
    Denise

I compete in CDE's, that is what I do. I drive five a day, some getting ready to compete, some are for their owners pleasure. While I enjoy what I do immensely, it's not for "pleasure". I would find another job if I didn't love it.
    That said, I can't tell you how much I enjoy the accounts you all write about your pleasure driving exploits.
    The grand estates and park lands available to you on the East Coast are wonderful. The pleasure drives around the country sound like a blast. Just hooking and tootling around is good for the soul.
    At the risk of sounding snarky, tell your PM'r to stick a cork in it!!!

Well, I would have to say that 99% of what I write concerns CDEs. The other 1% is either getting ready for one or getting home from one.

It's not that we dislike other forms of driving, its just that right now, CDEs are what we do.

I would never try to intimidate or keep someone off this forum through my support of CDEs or my lack of support for other styles of driving. If I have come across this way than shame on the rest of you for not pointing it out to me .

On top of that, I enjoy all the other posts here as well as my own.

Tell the PMer to give it a shot.... he/she will probably enjoy it.

Don
    *Charter Member-Blue Tarp State Driving Clique*
    "You can't always get what you want, but if you try, you just might find you get what you need" Mick Jagger

I refer to myself as an "Urban" CDE'er. AKA commercial carriage driver. I used to post my stories many moons ago on the CD-L, but as it became more centered towards CDEs, I stopped. It's still a great resource, lots of great people there that have been there since the beginning, but I found myself out of relevance to most of the discussions that were going on.

This forum is about driving. It reflects the fact that there's a common element here which many people enjoy differing facets of.

Ahhh, the joy of youth and a small mind...not knowing who the person was deciding the tone and "use" of the driving forum...my guess is a limited horse experience person, not much riding (or not a very high standard rider), afraid to enjoy their horse as just a horse and very very insecure as shown by "you do this or you're not a real whip".

As I said, so cute when the weenies come out to play.

I showed all sorts of fun stuff under saddle (in the US and Europe)...I took up driving to be a beginner again and to share horses with friends who didn't ride. I do compete in driving...big deal. I prefer pleasure drives, picnics, going out with friends and introducing people to the fun of carriages. I've only got two competition carriages (both Kuhnle) and 3 pleasure carriages (3-Spring Surrey, Dr. Buggy and Meadowbrook)...the surrey is everyone's favorite.

Never worry about the insecure driving weenies...their noise is like a cow pissing on a flat rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    Never worry about the insecure driving weenies...their noise is like a cow pissing on a flat rock.
    And there goes my malt whiskey on the keyboard

Why don't you just say what you think

Sooooo descriptive and I must remember that one.... I'll file it next to "as meaningless as distant mouse flatulence"

Whoever sent you that message needs to crawl back in their hole and stay there. I haven't even started driving. (Took lessons years back and was now ready to re-open that chapter of my life.) I have been on this BB since 1999 and have lurked in this forum since the day they started it. I have learned a lot. I have asked a lot of questions. Some probably really dumb, but I never felt like I shouldn't be here. In fact, one of the reasons I am so drawn to driving is that the people (IMHO) are the nicest in the equine world. That mean person just needs to get a life.

carriage driver Guest

Default Pleasure Driving

I think that if you drive a carriage and are having fun that is what it is all about.What is happing to the driving world!

Nothing that I noticed though clearly there's something in someone's mind

I guess I am one of rebel voices. I certainly do enjoy driving and learning of some of the stuff outside of my box of understanding. I have been told off in repeated PM's for posting about horsepulls, tire therapy, work as a training aid and numerous other topics. I have found other boards that discuss the type of driving I participate in. I refuse to say that one form of driving is better or worse than the other. Different and done with different outlays of capital but all take time and skill. So I have decided that I will be more selective in the posts I reply to and it will be rare that I start a post and even more rare to share a picture.

I wouldn't call this board unfriendly as much arrogant. LF
    Last edited by LostFarmer; Jul. 15, 2007 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Spelling and grammer

Wink Holy Moley!

LF I had no idea you getting flamed privately. I am sad to hear you are slipping to the shadows. Your point of view is always refreshing to me. You are definately the minority here but many times you have been spot on with your comments.

I'll have to go to the Porch more often to keep track of you