The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

What heartbreak I'm so sorry {{{{HUGS}}}}

As has been said before, my heart felt condolences on losing your beautiful girl....

Godspeed and {{hugs}}} to you and your husband...
    ** I LOVE PUIKA & SHELLA FAN CLUB*** member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Good job R&G!
    You may now add Horsesaver Extraordinaire to your resume

I am so sorry for your tragic loss. Thank God none of our neighbors are very patriotic.

I'm very, very sorry PNW.... My God...
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

So very, very sorry for your loss. Just
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

I'm so sorry to read about your loss... and the way that it happened to make things even worse.

What a beautiful youngster, looks just like one of my mares. I can't imagine... Hugs and prayers. Take care of yourself...
    Platinum Equestrian - Florida, USA

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Lots of hugs being sent your way.
    Jen Evans & DaBear

PNW, some things are just out of our control. Don't be too hard on yourself, honey. Lots of (((HUGS))), and please take comfort in knowing you are not alone.

Unhappy horrible!

I am so sorry for you! You could have her tranquilized in a stall with the same results so don't beat yourself up!!!!!!!

Oh heavens, I am so, so terribly sorry for your loss.

Default I'm so sorry for your loss.

I just read this on another thread on COTH; I hope it brings some comfort....

MY GRANDEST FOAL

I'll lend you for a little while
    My grandest foal, He said.
    For you to love while he's alive
    And mourn for when he's dead.
    It may be one or twenty years,
    Or days or months , you see.
    But, will you, till I take him back,
    Take care of him for me?
    He'll bring his charms to gladden you,
    And should his stay be brief,
    You'll have treasured memories
    As solace for your grief.
    I cannot promise he will stay,
    Since all from earth return.
    But, there are lessons taught on earth
    I want this foal to learn.
    I've looked the wide world over
    In my search for teachers true.
    And from the throngs that crowd life's lanes, With trust, I have selected you.
    Now will you give him your total love?
    Nor think the labor vain,
    Nor hate Me when I come
    To take him back again?
    I know you'll give him tenderness
    And love will bloom each day.
    And for the happiness you've known,
    Forever grateful stay.
    But should I come and call for him
    Much sooner than you'd planned
    You'll brave the bitter grief that comes And someday you'll understand.
    For though I'll call him home to Me
    This promise to you I do make,
    For all the love and care you gave
    He'll wait for you, inside Heaven's Gate.

How tragic, my most sincere condolences. God speed, grey mare.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm not an outlier; I just haven't found my distribution yet!

Oh My God, I am so sorry.

There aren't words. I am just so sorry for you and your mare.

I know this isn't about a horse, but it has always given me solice in times of loss.

"It is still so new & all we see is the empty space, but that is not how it is in the landscape of the heart. There, there is no empty space & she still laughs & grapples with ideas & plans & nods wisely with each of us in turn. We are proud to have known her. We are proud to have called her friend."

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    So I'm fairly limited in my activity at the moment because of my (SLOWLY) healing broken leg and lovely morning sickness. My husband sweetly offered to check on the horses at the crack of dawn this morning once the fireworks were done. We checked on the horses during the night and they were handling things *okay*....at least until the neighbors started setting off strings of M80s. Anyhow, he came back in and said, "you'd better call the vet."

My beautiful, beautiful just-turned-5-yo TB prospect:
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/22849...94686761WcLmmv
    somehow broke her leg last night and we had to put her down this afternoon after a frantic day of x-rays and vet/surgery consults. It was so hard to look her in the eye as she was put down knowing that she was perfectly fine yesterday and maybe if I had just kept her in a stall, or tranquilized her, or ANYTHING she might still be alive. She'd been through the fireworks out here before and handled it like a pro, so we didn't anticipate any problems this year. But I guess the nice weather was too much for the neighbors and we had the worst fireworks I've ever heard for about 5 hours last night. When the strings of M80s started all of the horses lost it.

I'm so angry and heartbroken and every other emotion I can think of. I read the posts about people having to put down horses and pray every time that I won't have to be in that position any time soon. I certainly never expected for my 5yo to be the one to put me there. My poor little girl.
    How terrible!
    Accidents happen so easily with horses...
    Don't second guess yourself, because something could have happened no matter where she was put.

Would it help to tell your story to the local papers, so others maybe are a little more careful when shooting fireworks next time and so other owners don't have to go thru this?

Our local animal shelter is full of lost dogs that ran off the night of the fourth and many people are not even going there to pick them up.

Oh PNW.. I am so very sorry.. How awful. {{HUGS}}

What a lovely girl she was. So, so sorry for your loss. Take care of yourself, PNW. Hugs to you.

I'm so sorry for your loss. You must be in a state of total shock.

Please, please call the newspaper and don't give up until someone listens to you and perhaps you can get an article written that talks of the hopes and dreams you had for this lovely young horse - all destroyed in an instant by ignorance.

It is tragic that you lost your young horse. Perhaps some good can come of your tragedy.

Again, my sincere condolences. {{{{{hugs}}}}}
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    Thank God none of our neighbors are very patriotic.
    ::SNORT::

The saddest part about that statement is how it reminds me that so many people believe that being "patriotic" involves drinking themselves into a stupor and blowing things up

PNWjumper -I am so sorry for your loss of your lovely mare. I would echo JSwan's suggestion about writing to the local paper....and I would add the local radio and TV stations.

Also....make sure those neighbors learn what they have done. I hope then they will be pleased with their "patriotic" display

<<Hugs>> My condolences.

I always worry about the 4th. I don't think there is anything you can truly do to keep your horses safe... please don't play the what if game. Had they been in the stall they may have tried to panic and go over a door or through a grill or whatever. I considered drugging mine this year but after talking about it with my trainer she mentioned that sometimes noises or really bad fear can cause them to come out of the drugs and she said they tend to get really really "stupid" then... so I opted not to...

I do hope you will contact the media... TV or newspaper and let them know what happened... it won't bring your gorgeous mare back, but it may help to prevent someone else from loosing theirs.

I have a set of neighbors that like to drink & play with fireworks (most are illegal in MD)... my horses are fine except when they have fireworks raining down on top of them. When I was out of town last year they had a party and my QH filly paniced & went through the round bale feeder. I was lucky and she only destroyed the feeder & was lame for a few days... she could have been permanently crippled or broken a leg.

People just don't think or don't care about anybody but themselves.

So many dogs are terrified by fireworks.

Some young kids/babies are scared of them.

They are a fire hazzard.

But do the people that set them off think of that???? Nope!

I've been very curious if somebody does something that is illegal (trespassing, hunting on private property without permission, fireworks) and their actions cause injury or death to a person or their horses can the party doing the illegal activity be criminally charged?

I am so very very sorry... my condolences... your mare was drop dead gorgeous... I'm so very sorry that you and your husband lost her to some idiots night of fun. <<hugs>>
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

I'm sorry for your loss. I was a wreck for the 4th and actually took some horses off my property to a friends, trying to make sure no one would freak and hurt themselves.... since the neighbors directly across the street do a lot of fireworks. I don't think it even occurs to them, the impact they can have by making your pasture sound like a war zone.....

Don't torture yourself second guessing what you might have done differently. I'm sure you did what you thought was best, but things don't always work out the way we want. Like another poster said, even if you had brought them in, that would not have guaranteed no one would hurt themselves.

Again, I'm so sorry.