The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

PNW, I am soooo sorry for your loss. I too have had to put down a horse from breaking a bone. Jingles go out to you. I also hope your leg is healing so you can ride with your stirrup. I am glad I live in the city for those reasons, if people start with the big ones, we can call the police. PS is was great meeting you the other day. Thanks again for the bit advice.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    So I'm fairly limited in my activity at the moment because of my (SLOWLY) healing broken leg and lovely morning sickness. My husband sweetly offered to check on the horses at the crack of dawn this morning once the fireworks were done. We checked on the horses during the night and they were handling things *okay*....at least until the neighbors started setting off strings of M80s. Anyhow, he came back in and said, "you'd better call the vet."

My beautiful, beautiful just-turned-5-yo TB prospect:
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/22849...94686761WcLmmv
    somehow broke her leg last night and we had to put her down this afternoon after a frantic day of x-rays and vet/surgery consults. It was so hard to look her in the eye as she was put down knowing that she was perfectly fine yesterday and maybe if I had just kept her in a stall, or tranquilized her, or ANYTHING she might still be alive. She'd been through the fireworks out here before and handled it like a pro, so we didn't anticipate any problems this year. But I guess the nice weather was too much for the neighbors and we had the worst fireworks I've ever heard for about 5 hours last night. When the strings of M80s started all of the horses lost it.

I'm so angry and heartbroken and every other emotion I can think of. I read the posts about people having to put down horses and pray every time that I won't have to be in that position any time soon. I certainly never expected for my 5yo to be the one to put me there. My poor little girl.
    I am so very very sorry.
    I just hate fireworks. I personally think they should be outlawed except for firework shows that are put on by the town and licenses/certified explosive persons.
    I watched the news tonight and there were many fires due to them last night, as there are every year. One little 11 year old boy was killed by some type of cannon that his grandfather was shooting off that malfunctioned. Another little girl was abducted while all the fireworks and commontion was going on......and your poor beautiful mare is now dead bacause of them.
    All fo this just in the Seattle are. Can't imagine what damaged they caused in other parts of the US.

Once gain, I am so sorry. My thoughts are with you.
    Please do not blame yourself. This was not your fault.

My deepest condolences.

What everybody else said: did the neighbors know about it???

Jingling for your loss. I know it hurt.
    RIP Bo, the real Appassionato
    5/5/84-7/12/08

I am so glad fireworks are outlawed here.They are just an excuse for a lot of people(not all) to be idiots and the result of that ended up in the loss of your mare.My sympathy to you.
    mm

So very sorry.
    www.moranequinephoto.com
    "If I am fool, it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom."
    Byron

I'm so sorry for your loss .

Oh my god. Sooo very sorry.

There is an hour long huge local town fireworks show that is 1/4 mile from my barn. The building shakes. We went to a neighbor's to watch the show, and the roper/barrel racing couple were saying how the horses at the rodeos don't pay much mind to fireworks. Meaning: so why do I worry so much about mine? Now I KNOW why I worry. So sorry.

I am so very sorry for your loss. She was a beautiful horse.

Please don't blame yourself; no matter how much we train, desensitize, or otherwise help our horses deal with the unexpected, this sort of thing can happen.

If you have a local paper, perhaps writing a letter to the editor providing yet another tragic example of how illegal fireworks can end in tragedy, might educate some people.

My condolences.

I am so sorry for your loss : (. I think J Swan's idea is a good one, and maybe would help prevent another horse from getting hurt the same way.

I do think you need to let the neighbors know what happened.

Add my heartfelt sorrow to the list of condolences. What a terrible loss.
    Hugs to you.
    ----------------
    What we hope ever to do with ease, we must learn first to do with diligence.
    - Samuel Jackson

I'm so very sorry for your loss and I would encourage you to talk to the neighbors and put something in your local paper -- new neighbors of mine shot off quite a few fireworks on Wed that went right over my fields - the horses went nuts so I went over and explained the situation and asked if they would stop - they were very apolgetic and didn't realize what a commotion they were causing (there is a dense tree line between us so they didn't see the horses running) -- I really like the idea of sending a letter to the local paper and I think I'm going to do that too just to spread the word - I'm sure some people just don't realize how scary those things can be

A hug and my heartfelt condolences on the loss of your absolutely beautiful girl.

Absolutely don't play the "if I had only" game though. I've tried the "leave them in or leave them out". Left them in one year and one clown (gelding) got himself stuck halfway out the stall window in his panic. They can get hurt inside as well as outside.

Best thing would be to educate our neighbors in areas near livestock that their explosives can be extremely harmful.

I'm so so sorry for your loss...

I am so very sorry for your loss. Please, please do what J Swan suggested. It may not help, but then again, it might! If even just one person reads it and doesn't do fireworks....
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I too am terribly sorry for your loss. We were so thrilled here after the long drought to have major fireworks of the mother nature kind for the 4th of July. It really put a damper (no pun intended) on any fireworks celebration our neighbors could have planned. I too agree with J Swan- and send the paper a photo of your girl along with the letter to the editor. People need to see her to appreciate the damage done
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

PNW, I am so very sorry for your loss. Having just lost my sister to suicide as she was trying to get away from an abusive husband, I know all too well the overwhelming emotions you must be feeling right now: anger, guilt, blame, sadness beyond description, 'what if'.

Hindsight is 20-20, so even though we can spend eternity blaming ourselves and wishing we did things differently, it is important to make yourself understand that you did the best you could, and try as we might to keep everything safe and perfect, sometimes things happen that are out of our control. Had you put her in the barn, she could just as easily reacted badly to the fireworks with the same outcome.

I hope you have a good support network, and you might also consider speaking with a grief counselor. It helps. I also believe in not holding those terrible feelings inside, so I think a call to your neighbors to tell them what their inconsiderate and dangerous behavior caused is in order. I think you should also file a police report, too. You may have a case against your neighbors for the cost of the vet call and euthanasia.
    I am very, very sorry for you. She was a beautiful mare. They say time heals all, so let's hope so. ((Hugs)) to you.

Default more sympathy being sent from MA

Sending deep sympathy from Massachusetts...

How very sad and painful for you..

I am truly saddened to hear of this...

As other's have said...I'm so sorry for the loss of your lovely horse.

Oh, how terrible! I am so sorry. She sure was beautiful.