The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Ahh PNWJumper,
    I just stumbled on this thread. My heart goes out to you. I had no idea this had happened to your mare.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I've been through similiar heart breaking situations and still years later occassionally have a good cry over the loss and guilt I still feel.

It wasn't your fault and sure you would change things if you could, but you thought you were doing the right thing at the time. Be kind to yourself, you didn't know what the outcome would be.

Your friend - and Internet Twin.... TR.

Quote Originally Posted by myhorsefaith View Post
    I saw your story on the NWCN the morning after it ran at night.
    Not to hijack, but what is NWCN? The only thing I can come up with is Northwest Canadian News?

So So sorry for your loss PNW, she was a beautiful mare. (((((hugs)))))
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

I am so sorry for your loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn trails View Post
    Not to hijack, but what is NWCN? The only thing I can come up with is Northwest Canadian News?

So So sorry for your loss PNW, she was a beautiful mare. (((((hugs)))))
    NWCN = Northwest News Channel (I think--that's what it is anyways)

Default NWCN

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn trails View Post
    Not to hijack, but what is NWCN?
    NWCN = Northwest Cable News - it covers WA, OR & ID

Cool

So sorry for your loss. Some people are so inconsiderate.
    "A canter is the cure for every evil."

Just read your post, and I am deeply sorry. It is unfair, it hurts like hell, and it completely sucks that you have to go through this. I am sorry.

I lost my young horse this February. He was 4 1/2 and was perfectly fine one minute and dead the next from a burst blood vessel in his lung. I raised him from a baby and he was absolutely amazing (I had a horse that loved dressage!). He was kind, and willing, and wonderful, all qualities I know your mare possesed as well. She looked like a wonderful girl.

Why we are deprived of these special parts of our lives I will never understand, and will never accept. I will tear up every time I hear "Only The Good Die Young" and will keep my Ace in my heart forever.

May you find comfort any way you can, and know that I am thinking of you along with everyone else here. I know you have a very special four-legged guardian angel watching over you from over the rainbow bridge.

Many many hugs.

I am so very sorry to hear about your loss. I worry every 4th of July and New Years about our horses. They are boarded in an area that was once rural but now quickly turning into neighborhoods. I arrived at the barn on the 5th to find my aged Arab gelding with a huge chunk of his hoof broken off due to spooking and running around when the barn OWNER's kids shot off some fireworks. I am livid but have no other boarding options within driving distance and affordable at the moment.
    I know how upset I was so I cannot fathom how livid and distraught you must be.
    hugs to you and your family..

I am so sorry for your loss, she was a beautiful mare

I just wanted to bump this back up since we're nearing the 4th of July again.

A lot of people mentioned wanting to print out my OP and hand it to neighbors, so in case there's a way to help anyone else out there......

I was just thinking about your loss this weekend while wondering if any of my neighbours were planning fireworks for Canada Day (July1).

Again, my condolences on the up coming anniversary
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I am so sorry for your loss. When we moved to our farm in Late June of 04 we had to deal with fireworks from our neighbors that first forth of july. They are somewhat close and inbetween the blasts you could CLEARLY hear me bellowing WHOA, WHOA, EASY.... in the dark. The horses fortunately all came over to me and stood and the stopped shooting them off very shortly thereafter. They were no more than 300 yards away the idiots!

He has the nerve to come down the next day and somewhat apologize and say he wanted to set them off again and he's done it for years. I wanted to ring his neck but instead Ipolitely replied 'Well you know it is ILLEGAL to have fireworks in NYS and we do have a trooper who lives just down the road". We have not had fireworks since.

Dread the 4th as usual. The paper stated some of the rules - they are allowed in the "county" but not in the "city" - but even in the county I think not allowed to be used 600 yards from school, hospital or church. That never seems to be enforced.

That should read 600 feet. That is six football fields, right? My horse is in the suburbs - right by a school and a church. Never have I seen anyone being told to stop the fireworks when they are obviously breaking the law. Makes me angry.

Condolences on this very sad anniversary for you.
    Oddly enough we are headed to a show (!) for the weekend. And I'm expecting a showgrounds full of horses might)(?) be a safer spot due to the general horsemens' expectations of safe care----at least i HOPE so!

ayrabz
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Grayarabs, 600 feet is two football fields. So they can be closer than you think unfortunately.
    I hate the 4th drunken fireworks but I do put up with them. Only time I said anything here was when the neighbor's sons were setting off 1/4 sticks of TNT under 50 gallon drums. Those ones made ME jump a good few feet...had to trot over to the property line and tell the boys those were *way* over the top and to please make smaller explosions, my mare had heart issues and was already spooky. I only have my gelding this year and my other nrighbors (bigger boys..in their 20's) who have set off a few rehearsal volleys so far. I was outside last week trying to figure out where the booms were coming from sand way up over the tree tops were big blossoms of color...darned near the size of professional. They're good guys...I just wandered over another day and mentioned that if any landed in my yard I'd have to shoot back. My gelding, thankfully, didn't seem to mind them. However, I'll still be spending a few nights in the barn keeping watch...and watching for burning things landing in my paddock or field. Kinda sucks for some of us horse owners...but I've spent worse nights.
    PNW...again sorry for your loss last year.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I am so very sorry for the loss of your mare, in such a needless and tragic way. My old neighbors in ME used to go wild with fireworks every year and I remember spending every 4th in the barn with my horses trying to calm them while I blared the radio, hoping to cover the booms.

I wish there were words that could help you right now because you have gone through the very thing I feared every single one of those 4ths. I am just so very sorry.

PNWjumper, I was so sad last year reading this thread. So sorry.
    We live across a large creek basin (Plum Creek, ahem) from the grade school where the small town's 4th if July party and massive fireworks display is held. I always close mine in the stalls at dusk with the radio blaring and lots of hay.

My smart horse used to like to go out in the corral, look up and watch, but now they have the massive boomers and even he cannot take it and gets closed in. The ground shakes.

thanks to everyone for the condolences....this obviously hit a nerve with a lot of people (as evidenced by the number of PMs I've been getting!).

I do want to mention that it happened in 2007. Hopefully our neighbors are a little more relaxed this year. Several of them have moved recently, so we may get lucky and have a quieter than normal 4th.

And my condolences go on to anyone else with asshat neighbors.....hopefully there are no sad stories on the board this year.

Condolences to those who have lost horses (whatever year) and best wishes for a safe and happy 4th with your horses. We live in deep country and had quite a bit of fireworks last night, but it wasn't right next door, maybe a mile or so off. Due to being up on a high ridge, we had an excellent view. The horses jumped a bit at first but settled down. No big boomers, thankfully.

Mom, on the other hand (with Alzheimer's), thought we were being attacked. I was thinking of this thread while trying to calm her down. Very much at the moment like a horse who simply doesn't understand what it's about.