The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default Quirky habits picked up from owning horses?

So what weird habits did you pick up from owning horses?

Some of my habits are:

I once said "snaffle" when I meant to say Snapple.

I seem to not know why there is a halter and lead rope in my car.

I don't know why there is always a hoofpick in my pocket.
    I'm a furry and proud of it!

FOUNDER OF: Closet Canterers Clique and (VERY PROUD) Closet Canterer

My car can't stay clean.

I see the words "horse" or "pony" or "riding" or "barn" or.... Everywhere if I don't take a second look at what was really "house" or "point" or "ridge" or ...

I cluck to people to move them over.

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

As I drive by farms I always seem to slow and check for horsies.....then I wonder.."Are they on CoTH??"
    And my parents say my car smells permanently of horse... I don't even notice it anymore..

Also I am not so quick to go around petting other strange horses...only if I ask if it is ok first..
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

I cluck at my dog!

My boyfriend (who sells guitars and deals with music for a living) gets quite exasperated when I keep referring to ear plugs as "ear stuffies."

I also cluck to my car when it's slow to change gear. And after a couple of years of riding greenies, if I see something 'scary' along the side of the road I've often braced myself waiting for my car to spook.

What Lou-Lou and HL said. Plus I do find I have some rather eccentric items in my handbag... At the moment it's... (checking) 4 plastic XL toe clips for Avery's expensive imported plastic bar shoes - too small and easy to lose to leave at the barn... aaaannnnd, a bag containing the remaining brass halter name plates and Chicago screws from the set of 10 duplicates I bought about 5 years ago when I finally found a vendor I liked. I found 'em while I was moving & was afraid to lose them, so into the purse they went!

I am also the culprit who has been known to accidentally trail wood shavings all over the law firm. On the upside, it's a small-town firm and I can blame the red clay on the visiting farmers! (But it's me who vacuums up the place anyhoo, so no biggie.)
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I always get angry when I drive by a beautiful piece of property and wonder why the owners don't have some kind of animal on it...

Why waste the land?

I have been known to cluck to dogs, cars, and people. It works best on the dogs.

I've also been known to have a spare halter and lead in my car, in case I see a loose horse. (This has actually happened to me twice.)

I've also used the lead on a loose dog, more than twice.

Several times I've said that I have to take my kids to the vet ...

Quote Originally Posted by Huntertwo View Post
    I always get angry when I drive by a beautiful piece of property and wonder why the owners don't have some kind of animal on it...

Why waste the land?
    Agreed, but what I think is far, far worse is when you drive by a house with a gorgeous white painted four-board fence, and you eagerly scan for horses, only to realize that there is no gate across the driveway...or the fence only covers the front of the property and not the sides... Tell me what is the POINT of a fence like that?? Sure can't keep anything in or out! If you have so much money you can spend it on meaningless fence, please come put it up at my house.

As for quirky horse habits... I guess the main one is that I think nothing of going to the bank or grocery store wearing manure-stained jeans and filthy paddock boots, along with a shirt sporting a gorgeous smear of beet pulp, mud, and horse snot across my right boob. (My gelding likes to use that one as his Kleenex for some reason. TMI?? Sorry! It's true!)

I also try to weight my outside seatbone when steering around a sharp turn in my car.

I once told my dog to "canter!"

I cluck to my car going up hills, and pull back on the steering wheel to stop. (Don't worry, I brake too!)

Tonight while watching a baseball game, I commented that "the pitcher toes out!"

Hmm...I know I do way more weird stuff too...off to think.
    Proud Closet Canterer!

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post

I also try to weight my outside seatbone when steering around a sharp turn in my car.
    When I took Driver's Ed in high school (ahem, a few years back), the driving instructor asked me if I thought that leaning around the corners would help make the car turn.

I told him, "Well, it works on the horses."

When I come to a stopsign/light, I catch myself sitting very deep stretching up to my shoulders as though I were on a horse asking for a halt.

I'll see cars coming to stopsigns as I'm driving down a main road and tell them to "Whoa". Same w/shopping carts in the parking lot, I tell them "whoa" alot too.

Since I'm 8 months pregnant, I refer to myself as "in foal" and when asked a due date it's when I'll "foal out my new stud colt." **He's awful well bred!**

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Sure can't keep anything in or out! If you have so much money you can spend it on meaningless fence, please come put it up at my house.
    I have said the same thing! All the money they spent to run a stright line of 4 board oak fence in front of their property.... I can't understand why they do that. Let's make it useful!

A dear friend of mine has a 6 month old little boy, and I constantly find myself cooing "Good boy" to him in the same tone I use to praise my horses. I've tried to stop, but it slips out anyway. Also, I've caught myself waving to horses and dogs when I drive by them. I recently did this with my boyfriend in the car and he said, "Did you just wave at that dog?" Then we both burst into hysterical laughter.

I tell my husband and daughter to walk-on. They either do or they give me really dirty looks. I also do the pointy finger thing to move people over like I do with my horse when she is standing... drives my husband nuts cause it works... really well.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Haha! I cluck also! To people to my dog! It's too funny!

Angelea Kelly
    CEO (Chief Equine Officer)

http://www.horsegirltv.com

Treats in my pockets, hay in my hair!
    Leads for my dogs!
    My kids canter and jump over obstacles....regularly. Did they get the right lead?
    (a game we play!)