The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Fake Tails?

Now, I've got a question. I'm not meaning it as rude or I'm so much better etc. But why are Fake tails suddenly in? And uhm, why would you use fake tails? Normally I think that the tail a horse has fits perfectly. I've been blessed with a rather thick tailed cob, but two thin tailed horses. I don't think I'd want to put a fake tail in but, can someone answer my question?

Please no one take offense to this, I just don't get it... I'm just getting the view of others more experienced and higher showing hunters etc.

Hmmm. Well, I don't think there is a straight answer to that question. I have never used them, but then IMHO my horse has a pretty nice tail (I have braided it for months to get it that way, Lol. I agree with you about MOST tails fitting the horse. However, some horses just aren't blessed with a good tail and need a little "enhancement" to look balanced. I HATE the fake tails on some QHs that swing around and get bunched up between the back legs and such, but most "hunter tails" aren't like that. So I don't really have a problem with it; as long is it is safely installed and isn't going to get caught on anything and isn't ridiculously thick.
    "The more I see, the less I know, the more I like to let it go." -Red Hot Chili Peppers

I used a fake tail on my large pony because he just didn't have a very thick tail, for whatever reason. When he had that extra little bit of tail, he looked a lot more proportional. It adds to the picture, if it's done right.

Right. Exactly what I was trying to say, except you didn't ramble on and on like I did.
    "The more I see, the less I know, the more I like to let it go." -Red Hot Chili Peppers

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

People use them because they think their horse looks better with a thick, luxurious tail. And the more people use them, the more accustomed we become to the look, so that even horses with "moderate" tails start looking, well, a little skimpy by comparison. Since so much of the hunter ring is about creating the most beautiful picture possible, there is a lot of emphasis on appearance.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

It may well be about having yet another "thing" for some of us. My horse has a near perfect tail - thick and perfect to braid (I'm the braider, so I can vouch fo rit ). And damned if I haven't found myself looking longingly at fake tails in catalogs...

So far I have resisted, but I fear that resistance may be futile. I may have to be assimilated.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Because our horses' field buddies EAT our horses' tails. >_<
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

A fake tail also helps a horse that flips their tail all the time by weighing it down, so it's harder to swish and flip. Think of a grumpy mare....

I tried to find an apples-to-apples comparison, but I don't have a good shot. Maybe this will help illustrate the difference that a well-matched and properly applied fake tail can make. I think it makes my horse's hind end look better balanced and muscled.

Braided with no falsie:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...light/tail.jpg

No falsie, not braided:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...PhilsGK114.jpg

With falsie, not braided:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ioHackFeb1.jpg

I will say, though, that there are few tings uglier than a badly-put-in fake tail where you can see the yarn and everything...

It was seeing my horse's tail braided that made me get the falsie. It wasn't so bad by itself, but when it was braided it looked really skimpy. I wish I had a picture of his tail braided with a falsie. I'll take one this weekend. It looks awesome!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

I used to use one on my older TB. It made a HUGE difference in his appearance. He had a nice, long tail, but it was rather thin. When I used the fake tail and braided it, he looked very fancy!
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

Ok, I guess, but at the same time I still don't get it... Unfortunately that might be from this weekend where yes there were fake tails, but they were POORLY installed. My instructor who's been on the show circuit and knows the tricks noticed them and said something about it to me. I guess it looks nice and it helps appearance, people do go over board here, two falsies on one horse! But for me personally I don't think I could see myself putting a Falsie on this new OTTB hunter of mine, thin tail or not...

Oh well, love to hear more, see more pictures. ExJumper I can't wait to see the braided tail with the falsie in! (By the way, GORGEOUS tail braid!)

In my opinion, you shouldn't be able to tell if a horse has a fake tail in. I have recently seen some pretty obviously fake tails, and it is just not my thing. I almost think it distracts from the picture because it tends to make the tail not move how it should.

All in all I'm not a fan

A well installed, properly sized tail wig should be unnoticeable. I've seen too many lately that are way too big, too heavy and too long. Those are the ones that look bad.

But also, I hate seeing ponies that have thin tails, braided without a tail wig. to me, it distracts from the whole picture.

^Agreed.

My pony didn't have a fake tail when I took him to Pony Finals, and looked like this in the model: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/12079...54933411kSUYQd still nice, but his tail is really skimpy..

Then at CHJA finals the following year, we had a fake and put it in and it looked like this (I wish I had a better picture, but I don't): http://pets.webshots.com/photo/24805...54933411mgqqtA

Are the take tails real horsehair? Where do they come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    Are the take tails real horsehair? Where do they come from?
    Yup, real horse hair.

And they come from deceased horses, usually.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

I have to agree, a well-installed tail wig is certainly something that can make the big picture much nicer overall. That being said, a few years ago at a local schooling show, I remember seeing a horse doing the 3' hunters and on his courtesy circle, his fell out. Everyone thought it was just *sooo* funny- I though it was pretty tacky...
    Now one thing I can't stand is when the HB babies (yearlings and younger) have fake tails. This serves almost no puropse to me- the natural weight and length of a yearling's tail SHOULD be short and on the thin side... Fake tails in the HB ring make it seem a bit like a little girl beauty pageant where all the 3 year old kids are wearing mascara and blue eyeshadow...
    Also, not to be snarky, but fake tails are certainly not a new thing, so to say they are "suddenly in" is inaccurate.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

Default Alright...

Unfortunately... I still don't like fake tails. Probably never will, but it is quite interesting to see the differences. I've also heard a horror story from horse stepping on his fake tail and flipping over so... Yeah, but I am trying to get into more hunters and what not. But the difference is quite nice.

FrenchFrytheEqHorse as you were not trying to be snarky, you came across as such, BUT I'm going to counter the statement you just made regarding the "suddenly in, not accurate" comment. In the area I am showing, fake tails just recently started showing up. We're a smaller area, with smaller shows and NO need for fake tails at the level they're showing. So yes, they did just start showing up here, and are 'suddenly in' other places, I'm quite sure they've been in and around forever, but not here. Just thought I'd give you the reason to my comment of them being suddenly in. It is because they just recently showed up here.

At A and AA shows, tail "enhancements" have been used for years and years, but they are not used as much at smaller shows, probably because tails are not braided as consistently at small shows.

If one is going to install a tail wig, it should be done in a way to make it blend in with the tail itself --> a good wig + a good braider knows how to do that. And if you're going to use a fake tail, do know how to put it in correctly -- to do otherwise not only looks bad, but is hard on the tail, it may come out easily, and may be uncomfortable for the horse.

I have a horse who does not NEED a fake tail - his is long but not plush -- but I really prefer his look with it in -- the tail enhancement makes his tail look more full.

to each his own on this one.

Exclamation

We recently posted an article on how to attach a fake tail at: http://www.TopKnotHorseBraids.blogspot.com

They can really add polish to a fancy horse whos tail is lacking.