The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Free Lease- The $700 Pony - 1 year or 2 years

Bringing this thread back - we went to China in Sept as a trial for three months. So I chucked the Pony out in a field. We love China and it looks like we'll stay a while. So, she's available again. Anyone interested:

We left for China in Sept of '07 and will be back for a few weeks in December, but will return to China Jan '08 for an indefinite period of time. I do not want to sell the Pony and right now she is hanging out in a field getting fat. She can stay there if no-one wants her, but it's kind of a shame. She's a nice enough critter and someone could have a lot of fun with her. (Of course, I offered her to with all of my local friends and no-one was interested - this is a clue. ).

This is kind of a tough situation, because she really does need to be with a reasonably qualified rider because she's still a training project - and one usually pays for training, right? But I figure no harm in trying to find a match.

The Pony is 14h, but built stockily enough that she takes up a longish leg fairly well. I'm 5'5", 125lbs and look okay on her - clearly an adult on a smaller horse - but not dramatically out of proportion. Her "training" has been spotty at best. She can execute a Training Level dressage test - but she won't be winning any year end awards. As far as jumping is concerned, with the right rider she has the scope to easily get to the Novice level of eventing - possibly Training - but I have not been terribly successful with her thus far. She can jump a 2'3" course, but I have not jumped her since late winter (time is my enemy).

She's not necessarily the easiest pony in the world, and she is definitely not suitable for a child, although her ground manners are just fine. AND she will have had three months off. But, on the plus side, she self loads in the trailer, she'll stand in the trailer at events, she ties to the trailer for easy tacking up, she's stands for farrier and vet, you can body clip her without tranq, etc, etc.

With that glowing description, if there's anyone interested, please feel free to email me privately (email in profile) or PM me. She is located in NJ right now and I will be available around Christmas to ship her up or down the East coast for the right spot.

And a build: I love my pony very much, but she is not breeding material. Her conformation leaves quite a bit to be desired and while she's a nice enough mover - not nice enough to warrant passing on her genes. My opinion of course, and thanks to anyone who thought she WAS nice enough to breed - but you haven't seen her in person. I think if you had, you would agree.

Some photos:

http://pets.webshots.com/album/502966891ZdnfHO

Many thanks!
    Last edited by Reynard Ridge; Oct. 22, 2007 at 02:44 AM.

Push comes to shove there is a spot for her in sunny California...But I'm sure you can find a situation closer. But if you and your pony are desperate, there is love and riding/training available here.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

RR-We'd be honored to have the $700.00 Pony on our farm! I'm not much bigger than you, but have only a 29 inch inseam so I could fit her fine.

I'll PM you. This would give you the "perfect" excuse to come see our farm and Paris and LeFeu and you could finally meet the famous Miracle.

Default Sent you a PM!

Second Fiddle Farm

I can heartily endorse hoser1 as a foster-mom!

I'd add my name to the list, but unfortunately, I need a child-safe pony.

I have PMed both hoser1 and classicsporthorses - I'm really thrilled that anyone is interested. While I quite adore my My Little Pony (TM), I clearly recognize her, um, downsides.

What? California's too far? Wimp.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

And I can heartily endorse ClassicSportHorses. She did a fantastic job caring for my mare for just over a year (while I was overseas) and putting up with my barage of emails . She was the last one to make my mare fat (well, pleasantly plump) though, be warned!
    Cheers!
    Christina

Quote Originally Posted by Emryss View Post
    What? California's too far? Wimp.
    Long drive with two wee children strapped into car seats in the front of my pickup truck.

Just wanted to wish you "Good LUck" with your pony and finding a great vacation home! (I have a hard time finding someone to watch ours overnight!) I'm afraid she would turn into a fat chip eating couch potatoe at our place!

My husband and I enjoyed your book very much ('specially the mini pony fight scene - hysterical). We have two wee ones (6 & 7 now), and 9 horses (5 which came after the kids, I think its a hormone thing!) so you can imagine we have a few stories to tell ourselves and we related to yours alot.

Best of luck with your new adventures!

K
    The View from Here

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard Ridge View Post
    Long drive with two wee children strapped into car seats in the front of my pickup truck.

It's only a few days if you limit the potty breaks!

Heck, you're already driving the kiddlies to China duct-taped onto the dashboard of...wait...that's wrong...

Ummm...have a wonderful trip!

You know for those who don't get to lease the $700 pony, I still have my $600 pony that is looking for a home. OK, so she may not have her own published book about her antics, Happy is very cute, and just as quirky.

Yeah, but nobody wants to drive to California. I shall pout now...

i can endorse Hoser also. Hoser is my soon-to-be neighbor and the ponies have *really* nice accomodations : ).

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeLawyer View Post
    i can endorse Hoser also. Hoser is my soon-to-be neighbor and the ponies have *really* nice accomodations : ).
    Time for me to fish or cut bait. I have four very qualified possible temp homes - I'm going to work on this particular project this weekend, so hopefully, final decision early next week.

I wish I was small enough to ride the $700 pony...I'm in the market for a short-term (6mo-1yr) lease right now that my boy is laid up facing shoulder surgery. But, at 5'8"-9" and 140lbs, I just might be a little big
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

Tarheel- worry not, i am 5'5" 155 lbs and I did a take a spin on the pony. She was a champ!
    Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

If only you could ship her to California. I am in the perfect posistion right now to take a free lease for that time.

I'm 5'9 though, haha, perhaps a wee bit tall.

Alas, the search continues, I apologize for wasting your time.

I'd take her for you... but you would have to write a sequel to your book... "The $700 Pony's Half Arabian Foal" . Good luck finding a temporary home, I'm sure there is a COTHer out there who can put her up for you .

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-