The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    If he does it again, ask him if he'd like to meet Bob or if I'm there and I notice it (not likely with my schedule these days) I'll put him in his place as I have on several other occasions.
    I wish my big Bob were there to set that man straight. But thank you, LexInVa, I'll gladly take you as back up. Wait, where's the smoochie emoticon?

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    seems to me....he spent more time telling the OP not to take pics than taking pics....another thing that would not have gone on well here in the deeper Southland that seems a good way to get a pop tossed in your face....

anyway...OP he's a person suffereing from "little man importance syndrome" with no manners and no future in what he is doing....ignore him he'll shrivel up and go away soon enough

Tamara in TN
    Augh! You know how it is after you leave -- you think of EVERYTHING! I do wish I'd said to him, "You know what a$$-0 (that's a hole, by the way), if you'd quit harrassing me and start taking pictures, you'd be able to put more money in your own pocket."

Pthuh! I spit on his pictures! :P

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Went to a show in Frankfort and they finally had a photographer. We were thrilled. Until we saw the proofs on the computer. This was obviously a person that had never shot A: Anything moving. B: Horses. C: Definately NOT HORSES IN MOTION, LET ALONE JUMPING. Really. Every picture was as bad as it could possibly have been, save the one of me in the line up with my back to the judge, showing my horse's draftx butt and magnificent, ground dragging tail. Regrettably, it also showed MY draftx butt, which made the picture a non starter. Digital cameras are FUN, because you can instantly get rid of the awful ones. Or the evidence, your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Now show us the pics you took!
    You have a PM.

the proper Southern response is "Wellll,you don't look like you're starving none to death to me " follow with a big ole sweet smile,head tilt and walk off...

Lemme know if you need any others....

Tamara in TN
    I need the Complete Guide to Southern Comebacks!

Anyplace, you're a nice person, and it sounds like you did the proper, diplomatic thing by consulting the show management . He sounds quite rude... I think I would have told him to MYOB and go pound salt! I take lots of pictures of my friends at shows, and if any are decent, I print and give (not sell) them away to the owner or rider too. It's never stopped anyone from buying the show photographer's pictures... they are usually better anyway, mine are "eh" at best (I agree, not enough hang time ). And I buy plenty of pro pictures myself. If you do nice work, people will buy it! I think that's the bottom line... a mom or friend taking pictures, even with nice cameras, shouldn't be a threat to a serious pro photographer, in spite of what the nice people at Nikon might have you believe (in case you haven't seen the ads... http://www.stunningnikon.com/picturetown). JMHO

I have a friend who could be a professional - she is that good, but she won't go pro because she says it would take away the pleasure for her. Several people have urged her on but she is stubborn and keeps giving her photos away. (She doesn't do horses, does do sports, primarily baseball but she could take horse photos, she has good timing and has given me some beautiful photos of "the gang.")

I take photos all the time of our horses at the shows. Pat inspired me to take and give away good photos when I get them of friends. It is different, I think, than ordering them from a professional, which they do all the time, I'm not cutting into their business. I just think it means something to have a photo a friend or family member has taken of your horse.

At least that's the impression I have received from my friends.

That guy was the antithesis of a professional and very rude IMO.

Sue
    "Horsemanship is not merely a matter of bodily skills, but is based on scholarship and, therefore, is a matter of the mind and intellect." Charles de Kunffy

http://www.equiimages.com

Want to piss him off even more? Get permission from the show management ahead of time and ask if you can offer your photos 'At cost' while you build up a portfolio...

Euthanasia is taking their pain away and making it your own. ~ Laurierace

Quote Originally Posted by CarouselPony View Post
    Want to piss him off even more? Get permission from the show management ahead of time and ask if you can offer your photos 'At cost' while you build up a portfolio...

Hahhahaha! I also thought to myself that I walked on those show grounds nearly 30 years ago for the first time. I've been taking pictures, or friends have been taking pictures of me all those years. Like another poster said, there is something special about a picture a friend takes of you and gives to you. And you do feel something special when you give a friend a picture. If sharing pictures weren't special, the camera companies wouldn't spend all that money and advertising pitching the things to people. If he (or anyone else) thinks for one second that I'm going to put my camera away to make their insecurities go away, they are wrong.

I am definitely going to be prepared next time a photog approaches me.

Wow, what a jerk!

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

Those were HIS photos you posted? I thought they were yours.... my god, not so hot. He must not have good equiptment as Lexinva mentioned.

http://www.pbase.com/ratsnest74/image/77260551

that is a photo in the stands at an indoor with a nice amateur set up. That guy looks like he is using a point and shoot in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren! View Post
    I need the Complete Guide to Southern Comebacks!
    Rule number 1: Preface just about any negatively descriptive comment with these four magic words:
    "Well, bless your heart..."
    Even if you're going to finish the sentence with something along the lines of "your face looks like the south side of a northbound cat."

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bdj View Post
    Rule number 1: Preface just about any negatively descriptive comment with these four magic words:
    "Well, bless your heart..."
    Even if you're going to finish the sentence with something along the lines of "your face looks like the south side of a northbound cat."

2. Big smile and a head tilt are the mark of an Accomplished Master.

Tamara in TN

bdj and tamara are spot on. Smile, say bless your heart, tilt your head - and then add whatever you are going to say to insult them, make them quake in their boots, fear for their manhood, etc.

Every good southern woman is born with this ability.

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia73 View Post
    Those were HIS photos you posted? I thought they were yours.... my god, not so hot. He must not have good equiptment as Lexinva mentioned.

http://www.pbase.com/ratsnest74/image/77260551

that is a photo in the stands at an indoor with a nice amateur set up. That guy looks like he is using a point and shoot in comparison.
    Yes, the links I posted are his website. The man has horrendous timing.

2. Big smile and a head tilt are the mark of an Accomplished Master.

Tamara in TN

I really need to work on this. And I'm a born and bred southern girl -- I really should have this down. Instead, all sorts of expletives come to mind.

magnolia73, that's a lovely photo. If you don't mind sharing, what type of camera and lens was used? I'd love to be able to take something that focused of my kids.

My other thought was also like Tamara, what about all the competitor photos this guy was missing while he was harrassing you? I'd be ticked if he didn't shoot my class while following you around.
    "We don't ride the clock. We ride the horse." Reiner Klimke.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/arnikaelf

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Anyplace, you had more tact than I would have in the same situation. It was smart of you to go to show management - and once they gave the OK, that should have been the end of the matter. What nerve!

If you see that guy again, I would remind him how long you have been in the area and how many of his "potential customers" you are friendly with: "You know, Mr A-hole, I have been part of this circuit for more than X years and I know the great majority of the people showing here. I don't think they're going to want to patronize someone who is acting the way you are at the moment, so if you're smart... you won't give me any further reason to discuss this situation with them."

And have a nice day

It really s*cks when someone ruins what should otherwise be a great day out with friends and their ponies. Grrrrrr, I am mad on your behalf!!
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Unbelievable Jana!!!! I think you handled the situation beautifully and I know I would have be dumbfounded had this happened to me!! Sometimes peoples actions shock me beyond words. He obviously saw you as a threat. Interestingly, on his site he states "Sell You Photos! Photographers can now sell their photos thru our site. Signup Now", but there is currently only one photographer listed under statistics. Obviously no other "professional" photographer wants to be associated with him or after seeing good horse show pictures he knows people will buy from someone who actually knows how and can take a good shots. His shots are horrible! I know for a fact my daughter takes better pictures....even with my 30 year old Cannon (no digital back then....so you definitely have to know what you're doing). He also states on his site "The Staff at Showpictures.net" Uh huh!!

You were most definitely the "professional" one as any true professional I know would not have approached you in such a manner!!

On second thought.....perhaps he was just trying to get your phone number!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Anyplace Farm View Post
    I really need to work on this. And I'm a born and bred southern girl -- I really should have this down. Instead, all sorts of expletives come to mind.

LOL - that southern technique has it's roots from Gone With the Wind and Scarlett O'Hara. I bet Miss Scarlett would have set him straight real quick
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Forget about what part of the country you live in. This is America and not a land of dictatorships. You have what they call a Bill of Rights that defend your freedoms as an American citizen. Unless you are photographing someone against their will or photographing something to do wrong by, there are no exclusive rights to anyone or anything. You don't see or hear about the media or poparazzi having exclusive rights, do you? I for sure would have let that individual know he was infringing on my rights and if he continued to do so, I would have had him arrested and I would for sure see the situation go to court. I gaurantee he would be learning his rights and what he did wrong. Sorry it ruined your day.