The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Ah, the joys of the www.

Anybody can claim to be anything and know everything. *Preceding comment not directed at anyone in particular.*

The original question posted by Anyplace, was to learn if the experience she had was, normal/acceptable behavior on the part of a Show 'tog. It was not! The level of unprofessionalism displayed gives all of us (show 'togs) a black eye.

Many who've read this thread are going to immediately assume a defensive stance against show 'tog's b/c of what they've read on this thread.

O.P.,Taking an "Us v. Them" attitude serves no one. Not the exhibitors, or the photographers. Stirring up animosity, with your customer base, in an already tough economic climate is only gonna bite you in the end.

ETA: If the individual in question has left, or is leaving the business, so be it. That's the free market at work. But I don't see a point in beating a dead photographer.

Nuff said.

I'm out.
    Last edited by Redline Guy; Jul. 9, 2008 at 12:34 PM.
    “Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be.”-Edward Weston

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Chief2 View Post
    If there is any doubt the next time you run your own photo shoot, protect yourself by being the one to ask show management first before you clash with the freelance photographer.
    Nah. Again, this thread IS A YEAR OLD. I was not having a photo shoot. I was playing with my new camera given to me in Dec of 06 and finally got to play with it in June of 07. It is now July of 08.

Since when does any camera-toting person on the showgrounds who is about two notches lower than a hobbyist have to go to management to ask them before they use their camera?

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

Quote Originally Posted by OP View Post
    There is so much more to being an OP than just pushing a shutter button on a camera with a long lens. There is so much that the average amateur or hobbies t has no clue about that the photographer has to endure, pay for etc.
    This is true, which is why last month, I paid out 165.00 on pix purchased from two separate photographers covering two shows I participated in.

I'm enough of a photo snob to know a good shot when I see one and I have never gotten that quality of a photo from any friend shooting on the rail, nor have I been able to capture such a shot, nor do I have the time or the inclination to sharpen my skills to do so.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Having recently returned from a 3 day show where 3 of us were unable to find a single decent shot from the show photographer, I wish we had had friends shooting pictures.
    At least we'd have *something*.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Which show was this at?
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by Entourage View Post
    I was about six notches lower than the pro photographer I got run off by. Not only did she stand there and scream at me (and missed a ton of great shots I might add lol) she even went so far as to have the show manager come out and tell me I had to call and ask next time. My only thought was why would I call to ask when I already know what the answer would be? It was really a fun experience. I showed up, walked around and took pictures and the next thing I knew this woman had hunted me down from the main ring (I was at the pony ring at the time) was berating me while I stood quietly staring at the ground. I didn't even stick around after that, got in my car and left!
    I wouldn't have left. I would have told her to shove it. There is no rule that says you can't take photos for fun. Especially, if it is of your family or friends.

Quote Originally Posted by J Swan View Post
    bdj and tamara are spot on. Smile, say bless your heart, tilt your head - and then add whatever you are going to say to insult them, make them quake in their boots, fear for their manhood, etc.

Every good southern woman is born with this ability.
    and remember to end the sentence with "hon'"
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”