The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Ideas to cut costs in non-boarding facility?

I am just wondering what others out there do to save some money on ranch bills when they don't take boarders.

we have 10 horses on the property, 5 are retired, one is a baby, and 4 are ridden full time.

Hay/Grain/Supplements are approx $27,400/year
    Worming/vx/ are $3000/year
    Farrier is approx $8000/ year
    Manure removal is approx $4000/year
    Pelleted bedding is approx $3500/year
    One full time worker is approx $20,000/year TOTAL = $65,900 Year

This barn has been up and running for almost a year, and we kind of thought things would have settled down a bit, but seems like we aren't doing anything to cut the costs at all..

Any way to conserve a little on those things that add up quickly? like deworming or hay or vaccines?

Is there a way we can do our own vx's and not have to have the vet out? what do people do for hay when hay is expensive? pellets?

Anything you suggest will be great - horses shouldn't have to be so expensive!
    Last edited by Gucci Cowgirl; Jun. 14, 2007 at 07:07 PM. Reason: because I can't multiply correctly ;)

I don't know how much all of your horses eat, or what your supplements are costing you, but that seems like too much for hay/grain/supplements. I spend approximately $85/month per horse on hay (my monthly hay bill is about $170 for two horses, but I'm sure I could save if I got larger quantities delivered at a time--I only keep one month's supply at home), so multiplying that by 10 horses, that's "only" $10,200/year for hay. You're all spending four times that! Wow! Granted, my horses are small, but still. It seems like you should be able to save a LOT of feed and supplements, depending on what and how much you're feeding.

It sounds like you're spending the "right" amount for manure removal, based on what I spent on my small dumpster and re-calculating that amount for 10 horses.

Bedding is an easy expense to nix entirely if you're willing or able to keep all of the horses outside.

If you can give your own shots, that's a big savings, too. Are you ordering things like dewormers in bulk already?

As for shoeing ... they need what they need. Not an area to look for bargains on, especially if you've got a good and reliable farrier! Those are priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Gucci Cowgirl View Post
    I am just wondering what others out there do to save some money on ranch bills when they don't take boarders.

we have 10 horses on the property, 5 are retired, one is a baby, and 4 are ridden full time.

Hay/Grain/Supplements are approx $48,000/year
    Worming/vx/ are $3000/year
    Farrier is approx $8000/ year
    Manure removal is approx $4000/year
    Pelleted bedding is approx $3500/year
    One full time worker is approx $20,000/year TOTAL = $86,500 Year
    What the heck are you feeding them???? The other costs seems a bit high too, but not as outrageous as your hay/grain/supplements.

Just did a bit of math, and have 5 and don't spend more than 20000 a year on EVERYTHING. And I don't skimp on anything- bargain shop- yes, skimp no.
    Last edited by meredithbarlow; Jun. 14, 2007 at 07:00 PM. Reason: to add my expenses
    Meredith Barlow, EqDT
    http://www.equidentistry.com
    Meredith offers seminars on equine dentistry free of charge. Call or email to set up yours today!

LOL I multiplied wrong. hay is $23,000/yr, grain is $2400/year, supplements (phosphorus and psyllium are $2000/yr)

so $ 27,400 on food. HA expensive math mistake!

How much do you pay in hay? Maybe it is where you live, but you would seem to pay at least twice as much as I would pay (and I figured it out by using the most amount of hay each day, and getting no pasture), but I also live in an area where hay isnt hard to come by... maybe search for cheaper source of hay?

Hay is killer in Arizona! we pay $900 every 2 weeks for hay - 20 bales timothy and 25 bales bermuda. we have a couple hard keepers so they have to have the timothy in order to keep weight....

Any tips on cheaper hay sources? It would be nice...

Bed on sawdust and buy direct from the timber yard

Compost your manure and use as organic fertiliser on rested paddocks

LOL I multiplied wrong. hay is $23,000/yr, grain is $2400/year, supplements (phosphorus and psyllium are $2000/yr)

so $ 27,400 on food. HA expensive math mistake!
    Okay! That makes a lot more sense! Ummm, sounds like you are doing fine to me. Can you maybe get a silo and get grain in bulk?
    Meredith Barlow, EqDT
    http://www.equidentistry.com
    Meredith offers seminars on equine dentistry free of charge. Call or email to set up yours today!

Silo wouldn't be an option, all the horses get different grain, since they are all over the place in terms of age, use, size etc...

The composting manure might be an idea, since we fertilize our pastures once or twice a year professionally, and it doesnt make any difference in the grass, there still isn't much out there...

How long do you have to leave manure spread around without the horses in the pastures? we have 4 pastures, all used for 10 hrs or more per day. we also have 4 sand paddocks. 2 of the pastures are doubled up with horses.

3 of the horses are left out 24/7, saves a tad on bedding and waste....we switched to the pellets because it cuts down 1/2 or more of our waste each week.

Hay is killer in Arizona! we pay $900 every 2 weeks for hay - 20 bales timothy and 25 bales bermuda. we have a couple hard keepers so they have to have the timothy in order to keep weight....

Any tips on cheaper hay sources? It would be nice...

If I am doing my math correctly, you are paying roughly $20 per bale?

$22.50/bale timothy (75-85 lb bales)
    $17/bale bermuda grass (100 lb bales)

harsh i know!

$22.50/bale timothy (75-85 lb bales)
    $17/bale bermuda grass (100 lb bales)

harsh i know!
    I'm having heart palpitations all the way across the country on your behalf. Do you have storage for more? If so, maybe look at buying trailerloads directly from a farmer?

The composting manure might be an idea, since we fertilize our pastures once or twice a year professionally, and it doesnt make any difference in the grass, there still isn't much out there...

How long do you have to leave manure spread around without the horses in the pastures? .
    Have a read of this one which explains:
    http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...ad.php?t=96447

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    I'm having heart palpitations all the way across the country on your behalf. Do you have storage for more? If so, maybe look at buying trailerloads directly from a farmer?
    Ugghhh yeah I am too!!!! I have been worried about moving to states and paying 5 instead of 3!!

I would look into getting a large load of shavings or sawdust if you can.

Default hay

Geesch, and we thought $200/ton was high for really nice alfalfa/orchard grass mix. Not really high but a lot higher than it has been.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    Have a read of this one which explains:
    http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...ad.php?t=96447
    thanks very much!

We don't really have a lot of storage, we are using a spare stall, stacked to the ceiling...in AZ the summers get so hot that having hay sit around for too long and get hot in the center of the stacks is a real concern...

I have heard some people supplement pelleted forage for hay? is this a good or bad idea?

I'll attatch some pics of the ranch...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_0116.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	17548   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img006.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	17549   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_0115.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	169.8 KB 
ID:	17550   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img028.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	17551   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leroi5 025.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	17552  

Ok, so now I am interested in doing my own vx (i worked at a vet clinic for years, so I am comfortable with all types of injections), where is the best place to order them from? and the best manufacturer? Merial or fort dodge?

And what about bulk Dewormer, is it better to use a large bottle that you dose out yourself or should we get the once-daily deworming supplement? or just buy a big box of prepackaged ones?

Sorry for all the questions, I just kind of want to get the ball rolling on this..

http://www.heartlandvetsupply.com

Jeffers have cheaper generic wormers. http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/
    So do Country Supply http://www.horse.com/depts/dept-20.html
    $2.79 every day!
    Last edited by Equibrit; Jun. 15, 2007 at 07:33 AM.

awesome thanks Equibrit!

Pellets; Yearly.
    7 horses @ 1 bag per week = 354 bags @ $5.00 each = $1770.00 a year.

At Tractor Supply pellets $6.25 per bag and you can get 20% discount for over 20 bags which = $5.00 per bag. Around these parts at least. TSC Equine Fresh is a 40lb bag - most are 30lbs.
    Sometimes I can skip a week putting a bag in a stall.

How come you are spending so much?

You could compost the manure and sell it to local gardeners. I would think it would go down well where you are.