The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

**Waves hand in the air**

What is he a reverend of ?

Rev. E. A. Buck
    Equine Physiologist

Spirithorse, not for dressage. Acceptance of the bit is a very important part of competitive dressage. I see a place for this thing for trail riding or jumpers or whatever but not dressage. I have ridden a few horses in hackamores that did not tolerate a bit well for whatever reason- arthritis in the jaw etc and I say whatever works. I don't think bits are cruel nor is this bitless thing. As long as it is used properly and with skill. Chains on the pasterns for jumping, that is archaic and much more likely to get a lot of people screaming abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by egontoast View Post
    Please note that the good reverend sells said bitless bridles.

I think George Morris might agree with you, rev. buck, and help with your cause. I urge you to send him a letter enclosing your jumping photo.
    If only I had a drink in hand that remark might have caused my first true keyboard spew!

I haven't been here much lately, but I just have to respond

1) The FEI will never allow a bitless bridle in competition. Nor should they. No bit, no acceptance of bit. No acceptance of said bit, no dressage.

2) Coreene, if you have quit imbibing, lunch at Pascal's won't have the same appeal

3)QLD , it is deja vu

I just made some killer guacamole, poured a big ole Carte Blanca with a lime wedge into a frosty mug.

Anyone want some?
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

This is the funniest thread I've seen in a long time. Someone has to call Anky... Do you think she can "Rolkur" bitless?? Now I'm having a giggle fit. Damn it.

Quote Originally Posted by melodiousaphony View Post
    "Thy saddle shall be the seat of prayers to me. And though fly without any wings, and conquer without any sword." - Qur'an
    FYI, this is *not* from al Qur'an.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Any popcorn left?
    I don't seem to have missed too much.

Isn't Rev. E.R. Buck the son of the famous troll-baiter Rev. R. S. Buckemoff, and he is surely also brother-in-law of the founder of the Classical Natural Treeless Bitless Shameless Barefoot Knickerless (or is that Nicholas?) society - Rev E. M. Upp?

It looks like the rev. has left the building

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

OK, but wait,

No, really.

Horses can't BREATHE through their MOUTH... so... the ENTIRE premise...

Nevermind again. I can't imbibe. Just not as much fun without the Tom Collins.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Quote Originally Posted by egontoast View Post
    oops my apologies . I was wrong. The photo of the good pastor and his kinder approach to riding is still up on the articles page

//http://www.supreme-cavalry.com/Press-SB-Articles.htm

if that link doesn't work , look for the articles pages
    I think it is funny Rev Buck has a problem with a bit, but no problem using a martingale.... Umm doesn't that device restrict the natural ocillation of the horse's neck? Wait, I think he has a girth attached to his saddle, doesn't that restrict how much oxygen is able to fill the horse's LUNGS??? Scoot over on the couch and share the popcorn!! (I brought some blended margaritas with me)
    Riding is not a gentle hobby to be picked up and laid down. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and once it has done so he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.

So...is this the part where we point out the reason saddles have trees?

just askin'

(I've got some nachos and a pretty decent merlot, can I come sit on the couch? I am just developing my dressage skills on my Majikal Gypsy Vanner, oh damn, he's a Paint. Sorry about that...no wonder its been so difficult....)

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    Well, duuuuh! Horses move their tongues to swallow even without the bit in their mouth. So do you! You can't breathe and swallow at the same time.

This happens so the epiglottis can close so that SALIVA doesn't get in the lungs when swallowing. It is NORMAL and NATURAL.

Apparently YOU need to learn a little more about horse health.
    Horses don't breathe through their mouth.

edit: should have finished reading the thread before posting

Quote Originally Posted by ridgeback View Post
    Well he's putting those horses in danger by jumping them, for two reasons clearly riding is not their first talent and the horses jump BAD!!! Don't worry about the FEI and bridles learn a little something about riding and correct form for both the horse and rider...Safety first!!!
    I am in complete agreeance here!!! the rider is lucky he didn't fall off.

Given that acceptance of the bit is a key component of the collective scores there is no chance in h*ll of the FEI allowing bitless bridles!!! Rather riders need to learn to be forgiving with their hands and use the correct bit for their horse depending on the horses mouth structure and how responsive the horse is in the mouth! Bitless bridles will ruin the classical art of dressage, because with out a bit it is very difficult to contain impulsion and generate energy and elevation??? you can't, all that power will just go out the front door, thus you will have a running horse on the forehand!!!

Bitless bridles have no place in dressage...learn to select the right bit for starters then learn how to use it correctly with quiet, still and soft hands!!!!

Where's my beer and popcorn??? would be good!!!
    "To ride a horse is the ultimate freedom"
    http://groups.msn.com/DressageHorses-Tas/shoebox.msnw
    Meteor 10 yr old 17hh OTTB; Mabes 8 yr old 16.2hh OTTB; Merry Legs 37 yr old Welsh Section A

Minor point--even though horses don't breathe through their mouths, they still don't breathe and swallow at the same time.
    No one does.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Aaaw, what kind of troll just leaves before the train even gets rolling? Here I saw three pages and thought there'd be a good flame war by now. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    Maybe because the directives say the horse has to show "acceptance of the bit"?

Kinda hard to do if there isn't one.

This sums it up right here.

What a joke. Hackamores and bitless bridles are no less severe than a bit. They just work differently, using very sensitive pressure points on the horse's head.

Talking

Oh how wonderful that all can unite behind the bitless bridle....someone volunteer for a barefoot thread...?? comeon- never saw that much unity amongst us...it's almost boring- and I just got in....

Default I must be too tired and my mind is playing tricks on me....

How does the saying go - the enemy of my enemy is my friend? Kinda makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to see such harmony on the COTH dressage board of all places! All that popcorn wasted, but perhaps there's hope for planet earth after all. (Put this down to it being too early in the morning but I just had an absurd vision of all the usual COTH suspects joining hands in a rousing chorus of 'I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing...'). What's happening to the world???!
    The horse, the noblest, bravest, proudest, most courageous, and certainly the most perverse and infuriating animal that humans ever domesticated. - Anne McCaffrey

holly cr@p..... please americans.. someone who makes president Bush look sane!!

http://commonman.info/

Chains on legs donot tie in well with this quote
    'Rev. Buck's creation and passion for freedom for horses'

and why did the us gov steal the patent of the bitless bridle?