The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs down FEI is not concerned about health of horses

In an archiac move, the dressage committee voted against allowing any form of bitless bridles in competition.

In clinical studies, it has been proven that the placement of the bit causes the horse to move its tongue for swallowing and this movement prohibits air from entering the lungs.

Also there is evidence that a bit places undue and unnatural constraints upon the neck and shoulder muscles of the horse, which causes the horse to not use it's back muscles correctly.

Loose, light, supple and unconstrained are words used to describe dressage, so why then does the FEI dressage committee force competitors to inflict the exact opposite upon their horses?

I ride without a bit and have done so since 1988, and I ride dressage with only ounces of contact pressure between my fingers and the reins, versus the pouunds of pressure being applied currently in the competition ring.

I do believe that dressage riders throughout this country should apply pressure to FEI to enforce the abuse rules they have in place and to enforce the mission statement placing the health and welfare of the horse at the highest.
    www.hartetoharte.org
    Ask and allow, do not demand and force.

can you all wait a minute while I grab my beer and popcorn...be right back!
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

Bits are not cruel although like anything else they can be used incorrectly..

Do you still use chains on your horses' pasterns to make them pick up their legs over jumps? I looked but I don't see that photo any more on your website.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogey2 View Post
    can you all wait a minute while I grab my beer and popcorn...be right back!

get me a St Pauli Girl Dark and a Lemon squeeze...I've gotta go back to the hay barn but save me a seat !!!!

Tamara in TN

Will do Tamara....anyone else? eggy?

Quote Originally Posted by spirithorse View Post
    In clinical studies, it has been proven that the placement of the bit causes the horse to move its tongue for swallowing and this movement prohibits air from entering the lungs.
    Well, duuuuh! Horses move their tongues to swallow even without the bit in their mouth. So do you! You can't breathe and swallow at the same time.

This happens so the epiglottis can close so that SALIVA doesn't get in the lungs when swallowing. It is NORMAL and NATURAL.

Apparently YOU need to learn a little more about horse health.

oops my apologies . I was wrong. The photo of the good pastor and his kinder approach to riding is still up on the articles page

//http://www.supreme-cavalry.com/Press-SB-Articles.htm

if that link doesn't work , look for the articles pages

I'm with y'all.... and I'll have extra butter on my popcorn please! wheeee!
    The horse, the noblest, bravest, proudest, most courageous, and certainly the most perverse and infuriating animal that humans ever domesticated. - Anne McCaffrey

Well, regardless of thinking bits are cruel or anything of the sort (I don't think they are cruel, but can be in the wrong hands (like anything)), I have a hard time wondering why they would NOT allow a bitless bridle???

Maybe because the directives say the horse has to show "acceptance of the bit"?

Kinda hard to do if there isn't one.

ya ya

Well he's putting those horses in danger by jumping them, for two reasons clearly riding is not their first talent and the horses jump BAD!!! Don't worry about the FEI and bridles learn a little something about riding and correct form for both the horse and rider...Safety first!!!

Quote Originally Posted by egontoast View Post
    oops my apologies . I was wrong. The photo of the good pastor and his kinder approach to riding is still up on the articles page

//http://www.supreme-cavalry.com/Press-SB-Articles.htm

if that link doesn't work , look for the articles pages
    LOL that's great. Bits are cruel and abusive and chains aren't in any way shape or form. I don't know whether to use this smilie or this one

Now I know that i am easily fooled buuuuut I just watched a bunch of horses fly around the track at Belmont last Saturday with bits in their mouths.....and i could swear they were breathing just fine. but then...what do I know.

Could someone please pass the popcorn?

Where's slc?....this is gonna be good.

Please note that the good reverend sells said bitless bridles.

I think George Morris might agree with you, rev. buck, and help with your cause. I urge you to send him a letter enclosing your jumping photo.

Thank you yaya. That's exactly what I thought as soon as I read it!
    "We don't ride the clock. We ride the horse." Reiner Klimke.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/arnikaelf

What a huckster!

What's the difference between this bitless and dr. cooks? Or is there a difference? It kinda looks the same.

Sarina

Quote Originally Posted by mrsbwayne View Post
    What's the difference between this bitless and dr. cooks? Or is there a difference? It kinda looks the same.

Sarina
    Dr. Cook's is a style of bitless bridle that involves pressure over the poll just like a gag bridle. Just loked at this guy's site, same gadget. We can't use gag bridles in dressage, this is basically a western side-pull crossed with a gag bridle! I fail to see how vicing the horse's head in this gadget is so much nicer than a direct pressure snaffle bit that acts on 1 part of the horse's face, not its entire head.

Doesn't this one do the same thing, or no? What am I missing?
    Sarina