The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by Barbhorses View Post
    I will be training Arab foals and will soon be living at a famous Arab endurance ranch(not giving the name out) while I go to school.
    Rushcreek?

I am saying why I dont like Arabs from PERSONAL experience (snip) All of my horse riding friends also do not like Arabs for the same reasons I do (that I am NOT sharing as I dont mean to bash the breed). I will be training Arab foals and will soon be living at a famous Arab endurance ranch(not giving the name out). So maybe I will have a different opinion about Arabs. For now, I dont like them.
    As longtime horsewoman with experience with many breeds (including mustangs) and individual horses and now an owner of Arabians, I am *always* being told by folks who spout stuff about Arabians like you are doing, "I never liked Arabians, but yours are wonderful/friendly/well-mannered/athletic/easy to train/fun to ride/quiet minded, etc. (the list goes on and on...)" I would not be surprised if you do change your mind when you have experience with the good ones. ;-) Although those Arab foals will be smart, and aware, and will take note of your attitude towards them. Maybe you should pretend they are mustangs ;-)

I like a good horse of any breed and have found that it is better to judge each individual horse rather than simply make assumptions based on breed stereotypes. The first Arabian I met was not a stellar representative of the breed. I did not judge the entire breed by that singular individual, nor even by the others I encountered that were not suited to my taste in horseflesh. ;-) Just like I don't judge all mustangs by the ones I've met that were difficult to handle and/or had jarring gaits due to their less than ideal riding horse conformation. And I sure don't judge all mustangs based on the documented stories of serious injuries to and deaths of their owners from being thrown, kicked, or trampled by their beloved mustangs. That would be silly of me, wouldn't it?

In spite of having encountered some poor examples of the Arabian breed, I WAS still able to see the wonderful qualities of the good ones when I encountered them. Since I have now met and ridden far more of the wonderful ones, I find your characterization of the breed as universally weak, not sane, and prone to leaping off cliffs to be totally inaccurate to my own experience and competely contrary to the evidence of their suitability as endurance horses. FWIW, I *like* many of the mustangs I've met (and many horses of many different breeds--I'm not "just an Arabian fan"). For me this discussion isn't about one breed versus another; it is about dispelling ludicrous hyperboles and mythologized fantasies of horror about one particular breed.

Furthermore, the dominance of Arabians at the highest levels of endurance completely disproves your blanket condemnations of the breed. The Arabians who are winning at the highest levels of the sport ARE sure-footed, smart, athletic, sane, and supremely capable at endurance. For you to disrespect their accomplishments and dismiss them as weak and inferior when the overwhelming evidence is to the contrary only shows that you are out of touch with the true nature of the best of the breed. Perhaps your time working with "real" Arabians at the endurance ranch will help open your mind and heart to how wonderful a good Arabian is.

Best of luck to you with your mustangs. I hope you find the success you seek. Just realize that you don't achieve success through unfair criticisms of your best competitors. Good sportsmen/women respect and admire their competitors ;-)

I will be training Arab foals and will soon be living at a famous Arab endurance ranch(not giving the name out) while I go to school. I am training in exchange for rent. So maybe I will have a different opinion about Arabs. For now, I dont like them.
    I certainly hope you have told the owners of this farm you don't like their horses. Why not get a job training mustangs? Plenty of them need a lot of work.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Barbhorses
    I will be training Arab foals and will soon be living at a famous Arab endurance ranch(not giving the name out) while I go to school. I am training in exchange for rent. So maybe I will have a different opinion about Arabs. For now, I dont like them.

Ummm, I can tell you right now, there is a good chance the Arabs are not going to like YOU when you are coming in with that "For now, I don't like them" attitude!!! Not even a "I hope" or "I'm sure I'll have a different opinion about Arabs." That is one of the most insane things I have heard in a long time!!

Does this "famous Arab endurance ranch" know this?!!!???

Arabians are very intune to their handler and whoever approaches them and are extremely good at reading body language. Geez, I feel bad for those Arabians you'll be responsible for.

Oh, please let me know which ranch it is. I'll be sure to never buy an Arabian there with your handywork all over it.
    ** The Happy Hoofer - Your local horse resource for NW FL & south AL - Visit www.HappyHoofer.com
    ** Sept 19 & 20th Blackwater Boogie Endurance Ride has been Cancelled. Visit ww.FiveFlagsAHA.org