The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Default War Admiral

Our Tbs in fact, were on a very high energy diet at home before they went to the track. At that time we were using Tiz Wiz 14 and requested that they be kept on that pellet when they went to the track. Also, in the last wo months of their training at home they were no longer turned out due to the problem of pulling shoes. No foot, no horse!! But the work they were getting everyday in the jog carts was much more demanding than what they got at the track. No horse at the track goes three miles a day!! When they were finished their work, going a last quarter in 23 seconds most days, they would drop their heads and walk a swingy walk all the way back to the barn...they would rest all after noon...they were very relaxed and incredibly fit. I have one picture, but it is down in Florida, where we live in the winter. If I think of it I will PM you with it when I get down there. It was an experiment, and something I would have loved to continue, but DH was very involved with standardbreds, so that's the way we went!!
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
    No horse at the track goes three miles a day!!
    Unless of course that horse is a steeplechaser or national hunt race horse and then stamina AND speed and bravery is being tested. (See my first posting on this thread if you don't know what that is.)

Then the course length alone will be anything from 2 to 3 miles and cross country and over VERY challenging jumps and the horse will be warmed up and on the gallops prior to the race and for sure they do a lot more than 3 miles a day on a race day.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    Unless of course that horse is a steeplechaser or national hunt race horse and then stamina AND speed and bravery is being tested. (See my first posting on this thread if you don't know what that is.)

Then the course length alone will be anything from 2 to 3 miles and cross country and over VERY challenging jumps and the horse will be warmed up and on the gallops prior to the race and for sure they do a lot more than 3 miles a day on a race day.
    Yes, Thomas, we all know that. But if you follow American TB racing at all, then you will know we just don't do that over here any more. We were never much for jump racing anyway, except in certain parts of the country like Virginia and Maryland. We pretty much only have flat races, and they are all sprints so that's what breeders breed for nowadays - little fast sprinters. Which is why I still fantasize about setting up a business importing NH TBs for retraining as sport horses over here - I think they'd do wonderfully!

When HRH Avery goes, I truly don't know where I would ever find a replacement, short of importing one from the UK or Ireland. We just don't make 'em like that any more. He's one of the last.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Which is why I still fantasize about setting up a business importing NH TBs for retraining as sport horses over here - I think they'd do wonderfully!
    Andrew Hoy's Moon fleet who won at Burghley and Badminton (and everywhere else!) is half brother to 6 of mine by the Irish bred National Hunt sire Strong Gale.

http://www.equine-world.co.uk/news_r...minton%20Title

http://www.burghley-horse.co.uk/News/story.asp?NID=136

When HRH Avery goes, I truly don't know where I would ever find a replacement, short of importing one from the UK or Ireland. We just don't make 'em like that any more. He's one of the last.
    If that's the type you like, I might be able to help you with that

And some of my ones so you can see how absolutely "typey" they are:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...altraining.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../galeforce.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ectingring.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../strongoak.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...inttopoint.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...e/eventing.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
    Much to our dismay, once we turned them over to trainers at the track (after they had broken their maidens off the farm in fine style) when we went back to visit them a few weeks later, there they were, KICKING out, pawing, gnashing at the bit when brought out into the shedrow...in other words, they behaved like all the other thoroughbreds. WHY?? The human element we thought. while in harness, between the shafts, they proved to be as tractable as any of our standardbreds....only when subjected to daily "riding" with the unavoidable lopsided weight in the stirrups that is typical , and the "cross" that they had to run into, plus the grooms ups and downs....only then did they show signs of being the "difficult" high strung thoroughbreds!!! THEY LOVED to be DRIVEN!!!!!
    Neat story Claudius, thanks for sharing that! My Arab loves ground driving and I believe she will do exceptionally well with the vehicle also. When ground driving her she steps out very happily with swinging back and tail, takes all her commands easily and is usually very precise. For a pure, halter bred Arab, she is very intelligent and well grounded. Yes, she's very alert and eager but is well behaved and tends not to get "stupid" for lack of better terminology.

She too seems to like the consistency of ground driving. She is an extremely sensitive horse who reacts immediately to any shift in weight, leg aid, seat aid, etc. and she can sometimes get confused or irritated under saddle. She's made me a better rider because it's just flat not acceptable to be unbalanced or deliver sloppy aids with that horse. In the lines she seems to feel right at home, and I think it will be a great alternative discipline for her to mix in with our distance riding.

My dentist's wife gave me a nylon harness and over the last couple of weeks I've been harnessing her up and doing a lot of ground driving, and she's even fine with the crupper. This summer I'll start hauling the horse over to her house and she's going to help me get her going in the cart. She has two driving Arabs and she prefers them to the more typical "cart breeds."

I'm working to build stronger hoof struture on this horse since she goes barefoot so the ground driving works out perfect. We can get our 20-30 minute daily asphalt walks in, and do some training at the same time!

Should be a fun summer

thomas 1 thats was great photo-- of whoops--

and the tbs lovely my arran he was a cross between a welsh c and a tb
    his dad was a champion point to pointer hy rossi by sterling castle
    his mum was had was a sec c but the old fashioned type that looked like small sec d-- newer types are finer and more off the b - or a bonnie has all the top blood lines of the welsh in her as she is a newer type and not heavy
    raspberry blood lines well shes a blenhaim pony bloke died that bred her so line died out he was in witstable kent his were all roan types

gracie is a thoroughbred roscons lady luck is her real name wouldnt put her to a trap at all we got her from a dealer that couldnt sell her we have had sice she was four we brought her in early august of the year 2004 she had only come over ireland at gorsbridge sales in the july of that year lot no 145
    she had raced but didnt make the grade she was 4

but she jumps like a stag and has made it as local eventer show jumper
    does british discoverys and now doing newcomers so nice mare but we dont use her real name nor her stable name we call her another name as it siuts her more so she would be an irish tb -- shes grey with black mane and tail fit as fiddle but nice to ride and handle shes one of the few horses that you see from time to time and you just melt with her personalty as shes so calm
    everyone locally loves this horse for her disposition as laid back in her manner
    but fast in speed and honest in her jump shes bold and will attack anything you put in front of her we have brought this mare on slowly as she rising 8 now but she i odnt think would go in a trap just not her style
    if you get what i mean as quite as she is it hink it would upset her somewaht

Beautimous horses Thomas! I love the second pic especially. I showed them all to a friend of mine who trains Standardbreds, though he's also trained TBs and QHs (briefly) for racing and he was impressed.
    Great legs, beautiful bodies, lovely heads, what more could you ask for (though the short tails were sort of icky )
    ~~Some days are a total waste of makeup.~~

Chuck Wagon races use TBs.

Default Strongoak

I like the horse in the pic labeled strongoak. I don't know if that's his/her name, but what a beauty!

And I love a banged tail, just like the short mane a cut tail seems sporty and 'clean' to me. Lovely horses Thomas.