The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kearleydk View Post
    There is not a driving clinic at Pony Club National's this year.
    Isn't that a shame! Driving's loss as I'm sure more than a few PCers would come over to 'our' side And maybe even some of the parents!

Our club had it's annual picnic last night and I was very pleased to hear of all of the fun stuff planned for our next year. Low-level organized stuff like a Poker Drive, three mini-CDE's, etc. I'm so glad they are trying to make driving accessible to more people
    Pat Belskie - ASHEMONT Farm

http://www.ashemont.com
    Ashemont2@gmail.com

Have to say Thomas... we used to use the local Pony Club as score collectors back in the 80s but found it didn't work so well. First hour we spent picking up the kids who fell off when ponies spooked at carriages, then they quickly got hot-cold-tired-bored. Had much better luck with local trail riders, but in today's world of instant results, people decided ATVs would be better .

Personally, I thought the ridden horses were great - they could step into the woods easily if a carriage was coming down the trail, accessible to the crowds (and we used to have crowds back then) looking for information, and provided nose petting opportunities to child spectators.

I'll be in the Tet barn and would love to meet you. They don't let me out of the barns much but usually the barns are open to everyone in the afternoon for an hour or so. Maybe you can drop by or if you come early, I will be there from Sun to Fri am. Whew, a long time.

Where and when are the PC Nationals?

Don
    *Charter Member-Blue Tarp State Driving Clique*
    "You can't always get what you want, but if you try, you just might find you get what you need" Mick Jagger

Ky Horse Park, July 23-27.
    Are you ready to hit the road again?

Default hmm

Actually it seems like a lifetime ago but it was only last year that Sami and I along with Bob Giles did a little demo for Pony Club camp. It was very well recieved and almost all the campers got to drive a little bit. They were very enthusiastic.

The only horse that spooked at the carriages was the one my dear wife subsequently bought. It was only a little spook.

Around here our experience is that both Pony Club kids and Pony Club horses are very well behaved. Games is pretty popular and that sure exposes horses to all sorts of objects being picked up, waved around, and extended toward them by other riders. Can't imagine a Pony Clubber being actively rude. Maybe uncommunicative to a stranger but not more than that.

Dick

Hey Price--

You might have met Aaron before--he was a Horse Management Judge at PC Nationals in 2005 (at the time he was serving as the Vice Regional Supervisor for New Jersey Region Pony Clubs). Apparently he was involved in the hostage taking of the pink flamingo. But I know nothing else!

With Pony Club starting to become more focused on individual disciplines (ie, you can choose different "tracks" to follow), I think providing learning opportunities about driving would definitely bring new members into the sport. I know Pennsylvania 4-H already includes driving classes in the state championship horse show.

I did a side saddle clinic for a local Pony Club a few years ago and it was very well received. Allowed the kids to see a totally different aspect of riding and learn quite a bit about it.
    Kelly Soldavin Harvest Moon Farm
    www.harvestmoonfarmpa.com

I can't remember when I have missed a Nationals but unless we were in the same discipline, I could have never met him or seen him, well, maybe at lunch. I end up in Jr games or Tet usually. For some reason, they don't let me do NORMAL stuff (eventing, dressage, showjumping) and I haven't figured out polocross yet.

I do think, in general, kids are sponges and will soak up anything horsey, given a chance. We might not get them won over right now, but they will tuck the driving info away and perhaps come back to it. We just need to present it as fun, not an old lady thing (sorry guys).

Price and Dick..... what I was thinking was if something driving related was being offered to the PCers and Sam could help out I would haul her there with AJ. As it stands we have to be at Ironhorse August 1. It would be pretty easy to leave early for the PC Championships at Lexington and then continue right from there up to Ironhorse in Illinois. I am flying our 'gator into Ironhorse so its not like she will be riding with us..... If its not to late and y'all want to ask about doing something driving related there count us in. Maybe a dressage and cones demo with Sam's new spider and then a hazard demo in full marathon duds......

Don
    "You can't always get what you want, but if you try, you just might find you get what you need" Mick Jagger

[QUOTE=
    Around here our experience is that both Pony Club kids and Pony Club horses are very well behaved. Can't imagine a Pony Clubber being actively rude. Maybe uncommunicative to a stranger but not more than that.

Dick[/QUOTE]

Well that was my opinion as well, until SEVERAL ladies reported problems with kids at the Rally. I was rather shocked myself. These are nice ladies, not silly or nasty, good horse handlers, all of them work with kids, have kids. I told them if they had any more problems, to make note of the kid's numbers, report them to the PC officials. Such behaviour needed to be corrected, not the PC ideal. Kids have to be wearing numbers at all times, should be easy to ID. Don't know if they did.

Nice to hear of Aaron and Price working for the Pony Club as officials. Good officals really make things at a Rally go well, kids come away with more knowledge and goals of improvement. I am doing my kid time at 4-H this season. May be back to Pony Club if daughter gets the jumping bug after lessons. I did a lot of odd, offical jobs when son was doing PC Rallies, lower levels.

I would think the PC kids should love seeing Sami and AJ do a demo on Driving. As mentioned, kids may not be drivers now, but who know about the future! The Agenda may be full, those national Rally's are crammed full of things to do, all planned far in advance to be smooth.

Nothing so big as Pony Club, but I've been having my Because Horses Matter clinic here this week. It's an introductory clinic for littles, ages 8 through 11, and I've got an exceptionally good batch this year. So yesterday we spent some time talking about driving while I harnessed Prince and then put him to the pipe cart so I could let each one try driving around a simple cone course. Obviously I stayed in the cart as well! All the kids loved it, and I think we may have a couple of future whips among them. One of the strongest-willed among them announced that she MIGHT just like driving better than riding!

It definitely helped their reinsmanship. I saw a real improvement today when they were astride again.

Sparrow - I do hope that you're showing them the fundamentals of handling driving reins when you're letting them "have a go" and that you're not doing the "hold the reins in each hand" thing????

I think that driving should indeed be a part of USPC- at least be something that should be offered- and all PC kids should be exposed to more Horse Activities....

Price- I will come by to meet you in the barns!!!!

Annika

Don, it may be too late but you could contact activities@ponyclub.org
    After Championships, which is usually really stuffed full for the kids, is Festival. That is a time of clinics, seminars etc for kids and adults. That may be the time to try to do something.
    Annika, I'll look forward to seeing you.

Default PC

Price, I'm looking forward to meeting you at Festival too. I shook the bushes a little and have the E-mails for the powers that be for festival and have recently met 2 of them. Also a couple of the PC powers that be have interest in driving.

Sooooooo............. Before I stir any more trouble, Don are you and Sami really up for this?

Again, Festival is July 24 through July 31. I'm going to be be there without horses and would help any way I could. The schedule is chock full of stuff for the Pony Clubbers but maybe something could be fit in.

Dick

Dick.... you know me, I don't stutter. Give it your best shot. I think something like this is a great opportunity to get Sam used to giving back at a young age..... Not only that but the Chocolate Chip Cookie girl at the Hampton is a cutey pie !

Don

Dick, I hope to be headed home before Festival gets going, probably Friday morning since Tet finishes Thurs afternoon. If you are there by then, come see me.

Default champ camp/festival

Price, We will be there before you leave so will be looking for you.
    Dick

The powers that be think so too! And Guess what? He wants to drive, too! I bet if one told him...Hey...I'll show you, you'd have a good thing goin'!

I will also place a bug in LM's ear- got a discussion going on here right now. It was very well recieved before and how great would it be?

I am coming with horses, that sadly, don't drive, but will help with what I can. We are there the ENTIRE time! I am tired already!

If Sam has a choice we would prefer something towards the end of the week.... less nights in a motel I have to pay ...

If not we will work with whatever y'all need to make it work.....

Don