The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

it is being talked about.... so, let me know if anyone hears anything... I am riding in the ICP, as well as helping with SJ, but I know I will have time here and there.
    We are getting there Sunday and leaving TEEEEENNNNNN days later....

Well the open day went very well and I've posted a little about it here:

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...87#post2519487
    Last edited by Thomas_1; Jun. 23, 2007 at 08:11 PM.

Default Ambassador at work

This is your roving ambassador on the scene in Ocala. Did a little harnessing, hitching and driving demo for Senior Pony Club camp in the rain this PM. It was nasty but the young lady Pony Clubbers did not want to quit so we pressed on. Talked our way through harnessing showing how everything fits and what each piece does.

Then I ground drove Onyx a little (yes I used the green horse because his harness was right on the rack and I was running late) He obliged with a mild version of his airs above the ground so the Pony Clubbers saw it was not just a stroll in the park.

We then hitched Onyx and Arman and gave all the Pony Clubbers a ride on the navigator's step. The only boy in the group said, as we trotted off, "this is a lot faster than it looks from the ground."

Several were amazed at how quickly and tightly the carriage could turn.

Dick

Default Kudos!

Good for you, Dick! I'm sure those kids really appreciated your efforts. And taking a greenie was probably far more interesting... and educational

I think the speed is surprising to all who haven't driven. Even my 29 year old son who is a real athlete and likes to do everything FAST had a ball on the back step. So much so that he wants to do it again and has volunteered his services if dad ever gets around to doing a CDE!!!! He loved the difference he could make cutting corners and such, and actually said he'd PREFER to navigate! Too bad he lives too far away to go out with us regularly but it's wonderful to have him interested in participating

We really do need to capture the youngsters and I'm glad to see things such as the Young Drivers Clinic which is currently going on here in Southern Pines. But I also would love to see more things for adult amateurs. I'm sure there are many like us who have done horses and want to continue doing so, who would find driving preferable to riding - and that's the group that has the $$$$
    Pat Belskie - ASHEMONT Farm

http://www.ashemont.com
    Ashemont2@gmail.com