The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Last chance for two ponies

A few months ago i agreed to take on two ponies as a sort of a rescue. Both were scheduled to run through a sale ring and due to extreme greenness i feared they would both go to slaughter.

I managed to find a home for one of them, but due to a misunderstanding by her "adopter" on how green she was she was returned to me.

I recently have been going through some health problems and my car just died and will take $2000 to get running again so money is EXTREMELY tight. I have sold two of my ridable horses and am in the process of trying to donate a third to a theraputic riding stable so that i could afford to keep these two mares for a few more months, however that money will not last long especially with all my other unexpected bills.

These two are on their last chance. If i cannot place them i will probably be forced to put them to sleep, which would be a shame and extremely hard for me to decide to do.

If anyone knows anybody looking for a project please please direct them to me.

Both mares are about 14hh, 3 years old, and dun in color. Both are good movers, and fairly decently built. However neither of them has ever even worn a halter. I have gotten the one who remained with me to allow me to approach and she will eat grain from your hand. She will also allow me to lightly stroke her nose. The one who was returned to me was more nervous to begin with and i am scared has now been fried. The person i gave her to chased her into a stall and attempted to "force" a halter on her. She is still in that stall and i will be going out to see her tomorrow morning to see how she is doing mentally. If she will eat grain from my hand and let me sit with her i will let her back out with my herd and let her recover mentally there as a horse for a while. If she has completely lost it i will probably put her to sleep for the safety of the barn owner.

I had someone lined up to take the other mare but they could not get her into their trailer. She has been in trailers before (i had her delivered) and i did get her almost all the way into their's using grain and patience, but they got impatient and tried to chase her in and after that she decided she wanted no part in us anymore (and can you blame her?).

I know finding them homes at this point in time is a long shot, but I'm really running out of options. I have my last 2 "trained" (ones a yearling so hes only halter broke) up for sale to try to get more money to give these girls more time, however i cannot force someone to buy them so I'm at the market's mercy.

If anyone is even remotely interested please email me directly at horsegirl3100@aol.com

HEre are some pictures of them
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...londe/TROT.jpg
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...londe/evey.jpg
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...lthyponies.jpg
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...onde/roxie.jpg
    Rinne
    Joe
    Wesley

Location????

I apologize! I am located in Columbus, Ohio
    Rinne
    Joe
    Wesley

Default ponys

do these girls gait walk fast walk kinda like a walking horse pace.they look like paso finos..because you seperated them is why they a freeking out.you need to get a real good trainer to give them some ground work.and work very slow it takes alot of repition to quiet them.you were on your way with one of them,put them in seperat corrals but let them be able to see each other.they are lovely.put your trailer in there corral leave the door open and leave there hay and feed in it they will when there hungry enouph go in it.i hope you find homes.but i also would put them down rather then sell them to slaughter.as hard as that is its the better way.i comend you for your big heart.and your brave dision to do the rite thing.i have a rescue and i face this every day..chin up i am asking around for you....

I wish I could help you- these girls tug at my heart! Alas, no more room and no more $ for horses!
    ~ Shannon ~
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.” ― Anna Sewell, Black Beauty

Default Might be Able to Help

I PM'd you

Please contact Gary & Katie at this e-mail address

gkcperformancehorses@yahoo.com tell them Julie Burgoon told you to e-mail them explain the situation and I think they can help or might know who can~ Explain that you might have to put them down~ Both Katie and Gary do training and they are in Ashland Ohio if they are not available they know resources that might be~ Please contact them right away and let me know~ Explain the whole situation to them~ Doodlebug

Quote Originally Posted by fawn View Post
    do these girls gait walk fast walk kinda like a walking horse pace.they look like paso finos..because you seperated them is why they a freeking out.you need to get a real good trainer to give them some ground work.and work very slow it takes alot of repition to quiet them.you were on your way with one of them,put them in seperat corrals but let them be able to see each other.they are lovely.put your trailer in there corral leave the door open and leave there hay and feed in it they will when there hungry enouph go in it.i hope you find homes.but i also would put them down rather then sell them to slaughter.as hard as that is its the better way.i comend you for your big heart.and your brave dision to do the rite thing.i have a rescue and i face this every day..chin up i am asking around for you....

No, they are not gaited ponies. They both have HUGE strides. Roxie has a very athletic looking trot, and evey has that pretty flat kneed hunter trot.

I agree they need a trainer! I am a trainer in some respects and have enough knowledge to be able to handle these girls. Right now i just don't have the money, the time, or the health to handle them. I have been on and off sick for a while now and all the horses are suffering (which is why I'm selling off all of my resale projects and donating my retired my QH to a therapy barn). I hate to feel like I'm playing the "adopt my ponies or they die!" card but they really are on their last chance.
    Rinne
    Joe
    Wesley

Question

Anyone know how much it would cost to ship them to the west coast?

Quote Originally Posted by CFiona View Post
    Anyone know how much it would cost to ship them to the west coast?
    Three years ago it cost me $800 to ship a horse from Boston, MA to Fort Collins, CO.

You'll be hard-pressed to find a shipper that'll take a horse that's not halter broke. You'd need a chute and a stock trailer.

I recently had to purchase a new car. I was supposed to be getting a student loan to pay for school so i could use my school money to pay for the car. Well the student loan got sent to the wrong place, and got hung up, so now I'm not getting it unless i enroll next semester which i cannot afford and do not have time for. This means i have to come up with an extra $2500 out of pocket. The car also has decided to stop running so i have to pay for repairs (i dont even want to know how much those will be).

If you haven't gathered, things are getting beyond desperate. If i don't eat or drive anywhere after the first of the month i will have about $100 to my name. And I don't make enough in a month to catch up.

If anyone has any advice on what to do with them please please let me know. At this point in time I don't even think i could afford to have them put to sleep.
    Rinne
    Joe
    Wesley

You might try calling the humane society in your area. According to the Animal Cops shows on Animal Planet, they seize animals who are at risk of starving, etc. The animal control officers always tell people on the shows that they shouldn't let the animals get to that point, to call the humane society first, or donate the animals to a shelter, where they will be placed for adoption. Since your situation is so serious, and you are being responsible for the animals' welfare, I would hope that they would be able to help. Worth a call anyway.

Sorry to hear of your difficulties and hope things get better both for you and your animals.
    www.moranequinephoto.com
    "If I am fool, it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom."
    Byron

Bump

They need some training - but these two might make a nice matched pair!

Someone out there must have room!!
    True North Dressage
    Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
    www.TrueNorthDressage.com

Bumping this back up!

I wish you the best of luck, I'm in AZ...wish I had extra mula.....sorry.

Praying for you!
    *Better to have loved than to have never loved at all.*
    ALWAYS Blessings NEVER losses.

Definitely contact a local rescue.. They would probably take them and find them good homes.. (Make sure to check the rescue's credibility before donating them, though)
    "Success doesn't come to you…you go to it." -- Marva Collins

You really need to at least get them halter broke so that they can be handled a little bit - how are you going ot even have them put down if the vet can't get close to them? I hope they find homes, they do sound really cute- but they also sound like way more project than most people are willing to take on- good luck with whatever you decide to do...

Are there any sanctuaries near you? A rescue that adopts horses out is less likely to take horses that can't be adopted back out in a matter of a few months- a few years sounds more like it with these poor things- but maybe a sanctuary that offers permanent refuge for really hard-luck cases would be appropriate, or at least could offer them a safe home while you continue looking for a permanent placement. The sad part about taking on a rescue is that you are taking their lives into your hands, and when your own life falls apart, they are caught in the middle. Kudos to you for planning on putting them down if they are unplaceable- much better to have a gentle end than a violent on or a slow one.
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

-my gelding is a ho clique-

Default They Can Heklp These Ponies

Contact my Friends Gary and Katie Cobantz they are in Ahland Ohio, I spoke with her Thursday I believe (I've been down sick and just able to get back on here) Katie is a trainer and is willing to step in and see what she can do call them PLEASE!!!They are both wonderful people and are expecting your call. She told me I could PM anyone her cell# so I will send it to the original poster and if anyone else is interested for these ponies sake!Gary has a knack with getting ones to load that are scared to death and he is so patient and will stand there forever with feed or treats whatever it takes, plus they have a trailer that opens up nicely~ Kaite is a trainer and they both are 4-H advisors jsut married in July but a super with horses these ponies would have a great chance with them~
    Their e-mail is gkcperformancehorses@yahoo.com I will send he pictures of the ponies and the 1st post you posted~ Julie

BUMP - what is going on with these two?
    True North Dressage
    Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
    www.TrueNorthDressage.com

Quote Originally Posted by doodlebugg View Post
    Contact my Friends Gary and Katie Cobantz they are in Ahland Ohio, I spoke with her Thursday I believe (I've been down sick and just able to get back on here) Katie is a trainer and is willing to step in and see what she can do call them PLEASE!!!They are both wonderful people and are expecting your call. She told me I could PM anyone her cell# so I will send it to the original poster and if anyone else is interested for these ponies sake!Gary has a knack with getting ones to load that are scared to death and he is so patient and will stand there forever with feed or treats whatever it takes, plus they have a trailer that opens up nicely~ Kaite is a trainer and they both are 4-H advisors jsut married in July but a super with horses these ponies would have a great chance with them~
    Their e-mail is gkcperformancehorses@yahoo.com I will send he pictures of the ponies and the 1st post you posted~ Julie
    I have that info, but I'm waiting to see if the other people who contacted me directly fall through or not before i call them.

That being said

I just got back in town from the holidays and haven't had a chance to catch up on the forums. I want to thank everyone for all their concern. I had a minor meltdown at my parents this weekend and they pulled through and wrote out a check to the barn owner to cover their board for a few more months, so these girls have been givin a bit of a reprieve. I am still trying to find them a home, but they're no longer in danger of being put to sleep. Thank you everyone for your concern!
    Rinne
    Joe
    Wesley

Dukedaffy Guest

Just a quick note,the ponies are at their new home in Michigan. They traveled like champs. The one with the star is halter and seems to like being loved on. The one with the blaze will have to wait until later this afternoon for her "join-up". These ponies have a new home where they will be saddle broke and ridden often. Thanks again.