Help with newspaper article about the 2013 hay crop -- in Virginia mostly also US
Can anybody (growers, producers, end-users) help me with a news story I’m doing about the bumper crop of hay this year?
The questions below are aimed at a couple of my own suppliers here in Virginia but feel free to discuss on a more regional, or national, scale.
Feel free to contact me privately but a general chat on here is fine too!
Thanks in advance.
1. How many bales (square or round) do you usually get from an acre? How many this year?
2. What varieties do you hay? What grows best in the mid-Atlantic, anyway? What (if any) have been especially good this year b/c of the good rains and good drying?
3. Is this your best year ever?
4. Describe for me briefly what *are* the best conditions? Wet spring? Cold winter? Occasional dry snaps?
5. What about other crops? You grow any corn? You hear from any bean farmers? How are those doing?
6. It’s a catch 22 isn’t it, having excellent conditions means everybody has a lot of hay (and pasture) and none of it (I assume) sells at a premium. Right? How are prices?