Originally Posted by Ambitious Kate
And it can cause serious burns if contacting your skin and can cause blindness if aerosolized and/or splashes and thus contacts your eyes. However, that being said, if the stalls are not wood-based (i.e. puck board or similar), and you are in need of a quick to find cleanser, this is a good one to use as it will destroy ALL viruses and all bacteria. The hypochlorite in bleach causes proteins to lose their structure and form large aggregates, causing the virus and/or bacteria to die. All viruses and bacteria are built on protein. Just keep in mind, so are you! So you have to be prepared with proper clothing, rubber gloves, and eye protection.
Originally Posted by JB
The other thing you have to be VERY aware of is chlorine bleach mixing with ammonia in urine releases CHLORINE GAS which is deadly. Use only in an extremely well ventilated area. Well, I should clarify, there are several forms of reactions between chlorine bleach and ammonia depending on the concentrations of mixtures. All of the results produce deadly and burning gas. Not pleasant. Long and short, just be really careful. My husband found this out the hard way when he tried to use bleach on the cats' litter box. He was very quickly and nearly overcome. Got him out of the bathroom and turned on the vent fan, but he didn't feel right for a good 30 minutes. I was just about to take him to the hospital when he started to recover. Later on we had to discuss just why he was cleaning the litter box in the tub? Ewww.
I second (or third?) the chlorhexidine as a more safe alternative.
This is also an extremely good cleanser. It is known to be effective against even the HIV virus. It does not, however, destroy or even weaken the herpes virus groups, nor do they make a claim to such.
Originally Posted by ChocoMare
From Rev. sci. tech. Off. int. Epiz., 1995,14 (2), 403-418
Disinfecting equine facilities R.M. DWYER
"Phenolic disinfectants can be recognized by the term 'phenol' or 'phenate' at the end of the chemical name. These compounds will kill rotavirus and are effective in the presence of organic matter.
Disinfectants containing o-phenylphenol, o-benzyl-pchlorophenol, p-tertiary amylphenol or sodium o-phenylphenate are especially germicidal. These are the disinfectants of choice for use in horse facilities."
also what is rec'd by extension. With any disinfectant, be careful. Phenols can kill kitties (as can a lot of fly sprays, FYI)
They taught you this in a biohazards course? :confused:
Originally Posted by rodawn
Hydrogen peroxide -efficacious, cheap, and decays into oxygen and water.
Yup use Virkon all the time. We disinfect the stalls and horse trailer between uses. (lots of turn over of horses being a TB stud farm). Also all halters/lead ropes get dunked in it as well.
Originally Posted by Texarkana
Can't hurt all to do it. I'm pretty sure during the EI outbreak here in Oz a few years ago Virkon was used to disinfect all horses before they were loaded and moved.