Help with horse feeds!!!
Hey everyone! Moving my horse and since the feed stores near the new barn don't carry the feed she's on now, was really looking for help sorting everything out.
The feed shes on now, which I can't even find online, she seems to be ok on, the only problem is that she is prone to tying up, so I have to be mindful of the level Selenium and Vitamin E.
The feed shes on now is called Alliance Performance 12-6 by AM Alliance Nutrition.
The chart shows:
Crude protein 12%
Crude fat 6%
Crude fiber 18%
Selenium 0.3 ppm
Zinc 30 ppm
Vitamin A 1,000 IU/LB
If anyone knows of this feed, or something comparable, or even something that would be better for a performance horse with the tying up issue please let me know!!
Selenium and vitamin E are not the only factors in horses prone to tying up.
That seems like a pretty standard product you're feeding--take the label with you to your new feed store and you can easily compare tags.
But far more important is to know what's in the other 90% she's eating--what's in the hay you're feeding now, and how different is that from the hay she'll be getting when you move her?
Trying to manage 10% of the horse's intake correctly without knowing what's in the other 90% is hopeless. :)
Hay is going to be the same O&A mixture, and she will slowly be allowed more access to grass. Trying to keep everything the same for her for the most part. Trying to find more info on feeds for horses prone to tying up has mostly just been the Selenium, Vitamin E and carb levels and percentages.
She is on supplements now for Vitamin E and Selenium, as well as an electrolyte though.
I'm just so lost! Gone is the time when I just accepted whatever my trainers fed my horses in the past!
Where are you located? That might help with recommendations.
North Central Fl, Gainesville Ocala area
You are in Seminole Country! I used to feed Seminole feeds for years - and very happily. I had a (suspected) EPSM horse 10 years ago and they were helpful. I was on first name basis with their DVM Nutritionist - Larry Mack. Don't know if he is still there or not. Their Wellness line (I think that's the name) is a lower starch/higher fat product. They had a distribution problem for a while in my area and I ended up converting over to Triple Crown. It would be worth you checking Seminole out since they are local to you.
Originally Posted by Libby416
You could probably get Triple Crown products in that area and I think if you call their 800 # their nutritionist will help find the best choice for you.
Thanks foxwood!! For those of you that are familiar with the Seminole Wellness feeds, have you had good results with the Seminole Wellness Perform Safe? What about the Show and Sport?
The Perform Safe (while also being a good all-around higher fat pelleted feed), is specially designed for horses that tie up. IMHO, this would be your best bet. All of my guys are on one type of Wellness feed or another. One mare gets the Compete Safe, the sweet feed equivalent of the Perform Safe. (but the Compete Safe is not especially targeted for horses prone to tying up)
The Show and Sport is their highest fat feed in the Wellness line at 12%, but does not have the yummy herbs that the other Wellness sweet feeds do. (the Calm & Cool, Compete Safe and Senior) Personally, if my horse had a chronic issue with tying up, I would stick with the Perform Safe. If she needs something with a higher fat content to help keep weight on, I would look into maybe adding beet pulp, rice bran or Buckeye's Ultimate Finish. Seminole and Buckeye have a distribution agreement, so you should be able to get the Ultimate Finish through your Seminole dealer. Good luck!
Thanks so much for the input! She is definitely not one I need to worry about keeping weight on, so I think your right, the Perform Safe is probably my best bet. Thanks again!