Broodmares leg is hurt...now what?
My mare injured her leg. I saw her out in the pasture just standing there. It is her left hind. I was able to get her in the stall. Vet came out right away, but his x-ray machine was not working properly. Just got off the phone with him and he does not know when it will be working again.
The injury is just below or at her hock. Swollen like a stove pipe. I am thinking she fractured or chipped it. He was talking EVA, purpura hemorgeccia, and stuff like that. WTF? She is obviously in pain in one leg and it was a sudden onset. Probably got kicked. I have even dealt with suspensory injuries and there was never this much swelling. I dealt with one other pony who was kicked in the hock and she had several chips in there. She ended up healing and being pasture sound after lots of rest, but she was never this swollen and sore.
The vet is suggesting I do get another vet out to look at her and have it x-rayed. I have a call into another one and am waiting to hear back.
My other question to him was about treatment and what to do with her. I never got a real answer. So my question to all of you, in your experience, what can I do? I am going to have her leg x-rayed, but does that even really matter?
It is kind of like when I broke my ribs. They new I broke them, and they asked if I wanted to have them x-rayed. I asked if there was anything he could do for broken ribs and he said no. So to me there was no point in getting an x-ray on my ribs. Regardless of what it would have shown, I would have had the same treatment.
Worst case scenario, she is pregnant, I know that for sure. Say her leg is fractured. I don't know that I would put her thru surgery if it is an option. She is an older mare. I don't mind retiring her for the rest of her natural life, but surgery is not an option, especially while this late in her pregnancy. Do I keep her going and let her foal out? That is 2.5 months away, if not longer.
If it is chips, then she may heal. I just hope I can get this other vet out soon for peace of mind. Trailering her to the clinic is not an option, she is not sturdy enough on her legs. Sorry if I sound so morbid, but I am preparing for the worst possible thing. I cannot make the decision on my own about what to do with her life. I do need help, and all I get from friends and family is "I don't know." I don't need to make that decision today, but I might need to make it soon.