Help me choose a dog please
I posted on off topic day about miniature Australian shepherds and now I'm not sure they are the right breed for me, as much as I want one. So I decided I'd post my dream list for a dog and see if anyone can advise me on what breed (s) to look at- I'm perfectly fine with a mutt but still want to know what kind of crosses to keep an eye out for when I scan the shelters and rescues looking for a 2 year old or older dog. This will probably be long, but here goes.
1. I live in an apartment. I'm moving in June, hopefully to a house with a fenced yard, but till then the dog needs to cope with apartment life.
2. I'm gone from about 8:30-3:30 most week days so the dog needs to be able to cope with that.
3. Needs to be good with other dogs.
4. I do some of the find a dog surveys on the web but they keep suggesting terriers and I'm just not wild about them. I've been around several JRT and their manners and recall has not impressed me. Besides, I don't like the looks of most of them. A West Highland terrier or Australian terrier might be okay looks wise.
4. Needs to be under 40 lb. But, I've been mostly around medium/large dogs and so don't want a tiny dog.
5. Cannot have pitbull or other supposedly dangerous breeds in it.
6. I can do a morning on leash walk/jog and about an hour at an off leash park in the afternoon walking and tossing a ball, but that's it for exercise.
7. I'd really like to try agility.
9. I like the intelligence of herding dogs.
I think that's it- Is there even a chance that anything will meet my requirements?