UPDATE #27: Jingles working! Colicky horse at vet clinic
I think I have just enough energy to write out a request for jingles for my new guy, Brolio...
I got the call last night (12/27) at 5:30 that he was down in his stall, trying to roll. I gave the OK for Banamine, hauled on my carhart coveralls, called the Vet to give a heads up and sped to the barn in a freezing rain. He seemed OK when I arrived, he had been walked for 20min and seemed content to stand tied in his stall, he was interested in food. I walked him for another 20min, produced a small dry pile of manure. Gave him a small bran mash, which he ate half of. BO/trainer and I decided to leave him in his stall for a little while, pulled his hay out and left the water, as he seemed to be on the mend.
Check at 7, he seemed fine, content in his stall. Check at 8:30, he was laying down and not happy, got him up and walked him around the indoor. He kept looking at his sides and trying to roll if we slowed down. Called the vet out (my vet is on vacation, so the other vet clinic covering). Vet arrived at 9pm, gave him some sedative, said his vitals were good (HR, temp and capillary refill normal). Rectal "showed" some distension, no impaction. NG tube was used to give some water, electrolytes and some stomach soothing/muscle relaxing drug (I don't really remember, it just wasn't oil). Asked if horse was a surgical candidate, I just about fell over. We weren't at that point yet, but she wanted me prepared... Bro seemed more comfortable after the tubing. Vet said to do 2hr checks and left some Xylazine to give IM if he became "dramatically painful."
I stayed the night at my trainer's (house is on same property) in a spare bedroom. We left him tied in his stall with access to his water, but unable to eat. Midnight he seemed perkier, brighter. I walked another 15min in the indoor, he held his head higher and wasn't trying to roll. 2am he was laying down "sternally", curled up, no distress. I still made him get up, which he did and promptly shook the straw off, walked the aisleway for another 15min. 4am check (vet had said if he was good at 2, he should be fine from then on, but I didn't feel like chancing it) he was standing content in his stall with a manure pile behind him. Trainer checked at 6am, said he seemed status quo.
8am/feed time, Bro is hungry! Gave another bran mash, which he happily ate most of. He still didn't seem 100% to me though. Vet called to check up, told her my night and how I thought he wasn't quite done yet. She said to turn him out in a small paddock with no hay until about noon, when we could slowly give hay and to make sure someone could keep an eye on him(no problem, farm help that day is a knowledgable horse person and a friend). I left at 9:30 for a short work function and would be back at noon(and was going to be away from my phone from 10:30-11:30). Got back to my car at 11:30, I have a text from trainer that he started going down again and the vet was on her way. Trainer's husband (experienced horseman) gave the xylazine IM while waiting for the vet.
Speed back to barn, quickly change back into barn clothes, meet vet and friend at Bro's stall where vet is starting another NG tube. Another rectal showed he had now progressed(regressed?) to an impaction where the tract takes a sudden decrease in diameter, so she gave him 1g mineral oil, more banamine and suggested taking him to the clinic at least for overnight as he would probably need more tubings. Trainer's hubby hooks up their small trailer as I walk Bro in the indoor some more. Seems much more comfortable to vet after the oil. Talk to vet about causes/prevention, she's comfortable saying that this should be a one time thing cause by a perfect storm that lead him to become dehydrated. Vet doesn't believe there to be any twisting since his vascular system is not showing signs of stress or a blockage. Vet heads out to another call, trainer and I load him up and trailer him to the clinic.
Arrive at clinic at 1pm, one manure pile is awaiting as we unload. Bro was happy to walk through the drifted snow to his stall for the night. He was NOT happy when they put a muzzle on him so he wouldn't eat his bedding! I left him in his heavyweight blanket (he hasn't really eaten all night and it's chilly out) as well as leaving a fleece sheet should he need something different. Finally dragged myself back home at 4pm, ate some "lunch" (at that point I had been going off one cup of coffee and one crumpet...) and got a phone call from the vet as I pulled in my driveway. Bro was having another pain episode, tubed him with epsom salts and water. Vet thinks the impaction moving is making him uncomfortable, she wanted to put him on IV fluids and needed my OK. I gave it and now waiting for the next update (fingers crossed nothing before 8pm).
I am completely and utterly exhausted. My physical reserves are just about nil. My mental state has been on a roller coaster ride since the first call. I think I grabbed a total of 4 hours of sleep last night and 3 miles walking in the dead, cold of night. If he gets worse and surgery is the only option, he will not be coming home. He's not insured and I'm unemployed, I just have no means for a colic surgery in the budget right now. Trying to stay positive, I know he's in good hands at the clinic, but it's hard not to be able to check up on him myself. I know Bro is stressed from the colic and subsequent "starvation diet" he's needed today, he wants to eat, but the vet says "no way, jose!" after tubing.
I'm off to make an offering to whatever deity can turn this around...
Jingles & AO for Brolio ~ ((hugs) for his owner ~
Jingles & AO for Brolio ~
Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ Always Optimistic !
((hugs)) for his owner ~
Hang in there you caught it early and have monitored throughout and clinic is 'where' he should be ~