It's also not just the bacteria, or every horse would get it, as it's just everywhere in the soil. So it's also not about sharing brushes or blankets, though certainly you don't want to be concentrating the bacteria
It doesn't have to be a long drawn out process. The 1 case of my then yearling was literally gone in a few days - scabs gone after treatment with the Miracle Mist I mentioned, and it just took the additional time for the hair to grown back where the scabs had been.Quote:
Rain rot can't go away fast. It has to be long and drawn out and a huge hassle. It is like scratches, abscesses, etc. Just nothing is easy and one day all gone thing. You have to treat it each day until it goes away. Rainrot is a PITA. Each horse is different on how long it takes. I have had three horses now get it, and it did spread to another one's legs (brushes - grrrrrrrr).
Really interesting on the corn molasses thing.
Brushes did not at all spread the rain rot to the horse's legs. The bacteria that caused the first rr was in the soil, and the horse who ended up with scratches was also exposed to the bacteria regardless of the brushes. It *could* be that the brush directly deposited extra bacteria to the point the horse was compromised, but he would have been compromised on his own.