Should I breed this mare or wait?
I need some help on deciding whether to breed my coming three year old this year or wait. Fortuna is the second generation of my breeding program http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?i=10669696 She is turning out to be all I could have hoped for in terms of looks, movement, temperament. Her dam Forte is my current dressage horse, now schooling Third Level. Prior to that her grand dam Wolkenstar and "grand aunt" Wolte were my show horses, so I feel like I know this dam line very well and I know that it produces what I am looking for.
I know that I will want to breed Fortuna for a keeper filly for sure at some point, in order to continue this mare line, so it seems like a good idea to breed her at the age of three, rather than later, so that I don't have to interrupt her show career. My dilemna is that it's not really the greatest time for me to have another foal. I still have two 2011 fillies that I need to sell. Also we just bought a farm, so we have many renovation projects that require my time and money. To complicate things further, the great grand dam of Fortuna, now in her twenties, will be having her last foal in 2013 and I may have the opportunity to purchase this foal as well if it is a filly. This mare, Aviary, is in the motherline of basically all of the best horses I've ever ridden, so I would love to have another one of her offspring. So what would you do? Wait to breed? Buy the other foal? Do neither and concentrate on getting the other youngsters sold?